Old 05-30-2009, 05:48 PM   #1
Craw
Knitting the Flap

One of my LYS may close
I got an email announcing the possible closing of one of my LYS:

http://www.letsknit.com/index.cfm

The problem is not yet explained on the website. In the email the owner explained her problem and it had nothing to do with the poor economy, as I thought it might. It seems a neighbor and customer of hers filed a complaint over a sign that the shop owner's renter had put up. OK, childish and petty perhaps but OK. When this neighbor didn't get the expected response with her first complaint, she went on to hire a lawyer to question the legality of having any renters on said property in the first place. Now it's not only childish and petty but seems the woman is seeking vengeance. Her last complaint filed was to close the LYS (on the same property) because it was an illegal use of the property. This one is serious and the owner cannot afford the lawyer's fees nor does she have the strength to fight. This LYS has been operated for 24 yrs. on the very same property. I've been to the store and it's gorgeous! It's the largest one in the state (i think) and they've been written up in several magazines over the years. They carry so many things and whatever they don't have, they'll special order. Everyone who works there is so nice and helpful. It's my first choice for a yarn store even though it's quite far away (about an hr by car). I had been ordering online from them lately. With the economy the way it is, I hate to see a business close for something like this, especially a store I love. There isn't many yarn stores in Rhode Island that we can afford to lose one to something as silly as this. I want to do what I can to help but I don't think I'll be allowed to attend the town's zoning board meeting where this will be discussed as I don't live in that area. Is there anything I can do to support this shop and fight the complaint? I wrote a letter to the zoning board as a concerned customer of the shop who questions the mental state (hah hah) and purpose of the person who filed the complaint, but is there something else I can do? I only just found this store because I only just started knitting and now it may be taken away.

Check out their website if you like. I usually order when they have a store-wide 20% off sale and get some very good deals. She does plan to keep the online store going despite what happens to the store front but even that's up in the air. The woman who filed the complaint is obviously looking to crumble this shop owner's life.
Craw is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 05-31-2009, 09:46 AM   #2
tokmom
Turning the Heel

If she has been in business that long, wouldn't the sign be legal?

You could always share your story with TV news channels. It would give the owner some exposure and maybe someone could help her?

future plans: Afghan, baby blanket and a cabled...something ;hats and mittens to follow for kids.

Tokmom on Raverly
tokmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 10:32 AM   #3
vaknitter
Working the Gusset

I agree that someone needs to take that story to the media. If a local news channel would look into and talk about how it's a petty complaint and that the yarn store cannot afford to fight maybe the lady/lawyer would back off or a maybe a lawyer will come forward to help the yarn store.

People never cease to amaze me with the horrible things they will do to each other.
vaknitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 11:52 AM   #4
dustinac
2nd Sock, I Rock

Thanked 4,204 Times in 2,997 Posts
I've ordered from them before, I was looking for a pattern I think and they were about the only ones who had it...found them through Ravelry...they are really fast and nice to work with. I hate to read that is happening to them. I agree maybe the media could help turn it around?

A Mountaineer Knitter's Blog
dustinac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 01:59 PM   #5
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,739 Times in 7,111 Posts
What is meant by renters? Does it have a room above the store or something? If what they did is illegal they may not have any recourse.

It's unfortunate that the other party didn't try to find a better way to handle it. I hate to see a yarn store closing.

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 04:49 PM   #6
Craw
Knitting the Flap

I have an update on this and it's a happy one. The zoning board meeting took place and the only complaint filed was about the renter's sign. The lawyer never had any intention of presenting the other complaints. The neighbor just told the shop owner those things to get her upset on purpose. It's really nothing more than a petty squabble between neighbors. The legal fees will cost the complainer plenty so I hope she found it worth it. The shop is not going anywhere.
Craw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 07:14 PM   #7
linknit41
1st Leg of the Journey

yay, Craw! glad to hear a good outcome for your LYS. so many of these 'frivolous' type lawsuits end badly, so is nice to hear of a win for the good guys! linknit41
linknit41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 05:28 PM   #8
FreeSpirit
Casting On

Hooray!
Originally Posted by Craw View Post
I have an update on this and it's a happy one. The zoning board meeting took place and the only complaint filed was about the renter's sign. The lawyer never had any intention of presenting the other complaints. The neighbor just told the shop owner those things to get her upset on purpose. It's really nothing more than a petty squabble between neighbors. The legal fees will cost the complainer plenty so I hope she found it worth it. The shop is not going anywhere.
It would be awful to lose a LYS. There is only one where I live, the next nearest one is 100 miles away. I don't know what I'd do without my LYS!
FreeSpirit is offline   Reply With Quote