Old 05-29-2009, 09:38 AM   #1
Quiltlady
Working the Gusset

How do you pace yourself?
I was wondering how you pace your knitting? What I mean is I am currently working on a pair of socks and a cable sweater. But I have everything I need to begin a Kauni Cardi and even another Fair Isle cardigan too.

I don't like to have more than two projects on the needles but I can't wait to begin the other projects too. I don't have any UFO's and want to keep it that way but the waiting until I'm "finished" with one project is getting harder to do!!

I was wondering how everyone else "waits"?
Quiltlady is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 05-29-2009, 10:19 AM   #2
bambi
Working the Gusset

I don't pace myself at all! In so many other aspects of my life, I prefer to finish one thing before starting the next but all bets are off where knitting is concerned.

I think I have at least 4 projects OTN and two are about half done and two are nowhere near done. I have a pair of socks that I will likely never complete but is good waiting room fodder. I have two sweaters, one with cables and one without that I like to alternate between. And I have one prayer shawl near completion. If I get bored with a project, I pick up another one.

I am going to not try to begin another until I have completed another one, though.

Whatever you decide to do, have fun with it!

Bambi
bambi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 10:47 AM   #3
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,451 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
What's pacing? Some items it takes me a couple years to finish, others a couple weeks. It's not a bad idea to have several projects going in different needle sizes and types of yarn. That way you can switch off and avoid fatigue in your arms and wrists.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 11:10 AM   #4
AH1OZ
Knitting the Flap

pacing?

i am lucky that i don't have that many needles... so basically, i have as many projects on the go as i have needles

right now i have:
a blanket
preemie hats (as i finish one i just start another...)
crocheting a blanket
dish scrubbies and matching dish cloths
Old 05-29-2009, 12:36 PM   #5
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,779 Times in 7,145 Posts
Pace myself? Nah, I just bought more needles and cables so I have enough.

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 12:48 PM   #6
Craw
Knitting the Flap

I've given up on trying to pace myself. Now when I want to have 3 or 4 projects going or I just can't wait to start yet another, I call it enthusiasm. Btw, when I do run out of needles, I'll just buy more.
Craw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 01:30 PM   #7
gotta knit
Knitting the Flap

Looks like I'm in the minority.

Years ago, I never had more than one thing on the go. Always finished my current project before starting another.

Then I took a break from knitting for several years while dealing with some life stuff. Now, I might start a second project while something is still OTNs, but still prefer to get the original item finished and out of the way. Just don't like unfinished things around me.

I currently have one started sweater in the closet since last fall, while I've made numerous other items one after another, but I'm going to do something with it soon. I don't have the original pattern I wanted to replicate, so I was winging it. The body is done all in one piece, but the chest didn't fit well so I put it away. I then waited for dh to pick out a new pattern to use as I frogged it, but he still hasn't. Think I'll pull it out soon and see if there's a way to make it fit, if not I'll have to drag him to the store.)
gotta knit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 01:54 PM   #8
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,451 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
That's why it sometimes takes me a while to finish something. I get to a point where I don't think it's quite right and put it away for a while. Then when I think I figure out how to adjust it, work on it some more.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 02:31 PM   #9
MAmaDawn
Working the Gusset

I'm with most of everyone else here and not really sure what pacing is. I just went though my WIP, orginizing them and counting the preemie hat that I started 2 days ago and I think I will finish today (it's with bulky yarn and size 10 needles) and the project I'm starting today I am DOWN to 15. Yes I said down to 15. I had over 20 a few weeks ago and have finished a bunch. 2 of those also just need a little work, one is a purse that needs a button, and I think I may have found the right one and the otheris a shawl that I need to find the time and space to block. With 3 little ones it's hard to find the time ans space at the same time. So only 13 are actually on the needles.

Some are long term projects, like afghans, (I have 2 of those). And hats in a series that I'm trying to write patterns for that will take me a little while to work out all the kinks. And lace shawls, I have 3 of those, but I think ones going to get frogged and started over, not happy with the needle size.

Then others are quicker knits, like a cuddle bunny that will be really fast and a toddle vest that won't take very long.

And then there's my mindless knitting project that's going to take forever.... it's a poncho that I'm knitting with fingering weight yarn on size 5 needles. I WANT this one to take a long time. I have found that having something that's mindless is good for big projects. Good to have in my bag for when I have to wait for some reason and it's easy to pick up and knit and put away when I need to. And I love the yarn, so that makes it so I really enjoy it even more.

I know that having this many projects would drive some people crazy... but I like it better this way.

And it's somewhat interseting... I always seem to finish several right about the same time. But I always start more right away.

I really do LOVE the entire process!

I say knit things when you want to. Knitting should make you happy! And if that means waiting just remember why you want to wait. Why you don't like having more than 2 WIP at a time.

Wife to GooB; Mom to Tori (7) and Belle (4) Jeremiah (2)

MamaDawn there too
My Little Shop
MAmaDawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 02:54 PM   #10
sakura-panda
Turning the Heel

I only have one project of any one type on the needles at a time. Each project was started for a specific purpose and that's how I justify it.

I have patterns and materials for three afghans that I want to knit, but I'm not going to start either of the other two until I finish the one I am currently working on. It's too big to carry around, so this is what I work on at home in front of the tv.

I have one hat project going. This is my main carry-along project that requires a bit of thinking.

I have one bib project started. This is my secondary carry-along project for times that I am not able to concentrate and need something that does not require my entire focus.

Everything else just waits until a spot opens up.
sakura-panda is offline   Reply With Quote