Old 06-05-2009, 01:11 PM   #1
auburnchick
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 2,085 Times in 1,688 Posts
Belle Epoque Socks
Sorry for the long post, but it's so much easier to copy from my blog than re-type.

Several months ago, I was gifted this yarn by a knitter of the West Coast Oddball Blankets…

Oh yeah…it’s as soft as its name implies. I fondled it a bit and then added it to my stash. A couple of weeks ago, I wanted to start a new project, and the yarn literally jumped out of my basket imploring, “Pick me, pick me.”

Gee, twist my arm, why don’t you.

For some time now, I’ve been wanting to tackle two-at-a-time socks. It must have been a year ago when I made a pair from this book, but I struggled the entire way:

The socks got finished, but the journey had been difficult. Completing the gussets had, in particular, given me fits. So, I put the book on my shelf and completed many other projects.

Somewhere along the way, I made several hats and socks using Magic Loop. Magic Loop is the method by which the above book’s patterns are based, only you’re completing two socks on the one needle.

I decided to give it another go, nervously selecting the Belle Epoque Socks from the book.

Now, maybe you’re a more advanced knitter than myself, so my next advice might not come as a surprise to you. I’ve learned that it is a good idea to check Ravelry for comments by others who may have encountered difficulties with the pattern. I found the Two-At-A-Time forum here, and I eagerly searched through all of the threads pertaining to my pattern.

I also searched for pattern errata. Sure enough, I found this site, which contains corrections. Lo and behold, the original editions contained mistakes in the gusset instructions! I had not been going crazy on my own! I’d had help!

Woo Hoo! I wasn’t crazy!

My kids would beg to differ with the above statement.

Anyhow, if you own this book, go to the publisher’s site (same link as above) and download the pattern errata. Print it and stick it inside your book. If you have a problem downloading it, send an email to the contact provided on the publisher’s site. I did that, and a representative replied within 12 hours. She even sent me the corrections as a PDF because my computer was not cooperating with me. There are a few patterns that have corrected charts, so make sure you get those as well.

Doing your homework BEFORE starting projects saves loads of heartache later on.

Armed with all of this information, I began the project on May 25. I decided to use size 1 1/2 needles and cast on for the medium size.

Starting the socks was a nightmare. I did as the book suggests and placed each skein in its own separate baggie. This helped keep the yarn in check, but I had a dickens of a time sliding the cords back and forth. I also marked each sock with a different colored stitch marker (green was Sock A, and orange was Sock B).

Add to that, the picot edge, which just about threw me over the edge of knitting sanity.

However, I persevered, messed up the picot on half of the first sock before the instructions clicked, and I worked the rest of the edging properly.

Once I finished the edging, I proceeded at a rather fast clip. The pattern was pretty easy after a few repeats, and I started sailing through the project.

I worked eight pattern repeats on the leg and then “customized” the repeat on the instep…opposite of the heel. Ok. I messed it up…got my row count wrong and squashed the cable, but it’s the both on both socks, so at least they match! I only knit 26 heel flap rows instead of the 36 recommended by the pattern. I could tell the yarn was stretchy, and I know that recommended heel flap sizes are always too long for my legs.

The instructions can look intimidating…a factor that had led me to delay working socks using this method. And I’ll admit that when I began working the heels and gusset decreases, I had to tink back a couple of times. I like putting puzzles together and trying to figure out how things work, so this type of project is right up my alley.

I learned, though, not to over-think the instructions. You work them for one sock, and then you work them for the other. Trust the instructions (most of the time). It’s like doing yoga. You don’t think you’re going to be able to put your body in a certain position, and you want to shoot darts through the instructor (or pattern’s author). But then, without even realizing it, you’ve turned yourself into a pretzel, and you’re better for it.

After turning the heel, I worked six more repeats and then completed the toes as instructed. I’m probably the only person who loves the Kitchener Stitch…breezing through it in record time.

And the end result? Take a look for yourself…courtesy of my daughter's wonderful photographing abilities (even while she complained the entire time)…

To say I’m pleased with these would be an understatement. I’m absolutely delighted.

Sure, I probably could have gone down to a size small since the yarn stretched more than I anticipated. However, the socks are a good fit without being overly stretched, and they are warm as all get-out. The yarn was a DREAM to work with…not splitty at all and smooth as could be.

I only used 80 grams, so it wasn’t quite two full skeins.

Writing, to me, is simply thinking through my fingers. -- Isaac Asimov
auburnchick is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to auburnchick For This Useful Post:
cacunn (06-05-2009)

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 06-05-2009, 01:23 PM   #2
cacunn
Instepping Out

Thanked 1,103 Times in 826 Posts
Very nice work. Thank you for the information.

cacunn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cacunn For This Useful Post:
auburnchick (06-05-2009)
Old 06-05-2009, 02:53 PM   #3
thecatsmother
Knitting the Flap

love the socks,thanks for the info, though I'm not sure I want to test my sanity like that...yet
auburnchick (06-05-2009)
Old 06-05-2009, 04:24 PM   #4
bambi
Working the Gusset

Beautiful!

Bambi
bambi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bambi For This Useful Post:
auburnchick (06-05-2009)
Old 06-05-2009, 05:30 PM   #5
ArtLady1981
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,893 Times in 3,014 Posts
Divine! I am green with knitting envy! Wonderful work!!!

Artlady at Rav
ArtLady1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ArtLady1981 For This Useful Post:
auburnchick (06-05-2009)
Old 06-05-2009, 05:49 PM   #6
kbagel
1st Leg of the Journey

Lovely! Reminds me I have sock yarn I need to use...
auburnchick (06-05-2009)
Old 06-05-2009, 06:06 PM   #7
blessedtosew
1st Leg of the Journey

Those are beautiful!!! Does this book have pattern for men's socks? I don't wear socks much myself, but I would love to try to make a pair for my husband.
blessedtosew is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to blessedtosew For This Useful Post:
auburnchick (06-05-2009)
Old 06-05-2009, 06:22 PM   #8
Slim
Working the Gusset

Absolutely beautiful!
auburnchick (06-05-2009)
Old 06-05-2009, 06:29 PM   #9
auburnchick
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 2,085 Times in 1,688 Posts
Originally Posted by blessedtosew View Post
Does this book have pattern for men's socks? I don't wear socks much myself, but I would love to try to make a pair for my husband.
Yes, it does! I just counted five pairs that have men's sizes (and look like men's socks), several childrens' socks, and the rest are geared toward women.

Writing, to me, is simply thinking through my fingers. -- Isaac Asimov
auburnchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 07:50 PM   #10
scout52
Working the Gusset

Great job! thanks for the info! I have the book but i have yet tackled it as I have only done one pair of socks. eek. two at a time is my goal as it is much faster.
scout52 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to scout52 For This Useful Post:
auburnchick (06-05-2009)