Old 06-07-2009, 01:18 PM   #1
heidi jean
Ribbing the Cuff

Finally Built up the Courage
I have finally built up the courage to knit a sweater. I have knitted any and everything for 13 years that didn't require my gauge to be perfect (type triple A personality).
I am going to do a baby sweater using baby acrylic. I am doing my gauge swatch. Gauge is 22 stitchs for 4" by 30 rows. I have read over the years to allow the acrylic to rest a few hours before counting stitchs in order to let rest and take shape. In addition, I have read regarding blocking the swatch following the care instructions. This is a wash and dry acrylic. Do you recommend this?
In addition how do I do a lifeline? I have only read about them and know I must because my gauge does change. How do I thread the contrast color through the stitches? Can I use a cable needle or will the weight affect the knitting in place of yarn?
What selvage do you recommend for best seaming result? Do you use 1 extra stitch for your selvage? It is a Cardigan, should I do both left and right at same time, for consitant lenght and shaping?
I am so excited and scared at the same time.
heidi jean is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 06-07-2009, 01:53 PM   #2
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,450 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
I've never heard of letting the acrylic 'rest' before counting sts. It is a good idea to wash and/or block your swatch the way you will the finished item. Acrylic generally isn't blocked so you can wash and dry it. And make your swatch larger than 4x4; the edge sts/rows curl and aren't the same size as the center stitches so it's hard to measure accurately.

A lifeline is generally used in more complex patterns such as lace. You would thread thinner yarn or thread through the sts at a point you know there's no mistakes below it. If your gauge changes, lifelines don't help with that.

If by cable needle you mean a circular, some of the interchangeable sets have a small hole you can fasten thread or dental floss in and leave it in the sts as you knit.

Most patterns realize you'll use the edge stitch for seaming so you don't need to add one. Keeping it in stockinette probably works the best, or just whatever the pattern stitch is. You can knit both fronts at the same time, just use different yarn ends for each.

Don't be scared, the worst that will happen is you have to rip out and start again.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 02:11 PM   #3
heidi jean
Ribbing the Cuff

Thank you. Yes I did mean circular, I have cables on the brain since I really want to knit an Aran sweater, but am knitting the toddler sweater as a "See Heidi you can do it" sweater. And when my gauge changes I will simply rip it out and redo.
Thank you for cheering me on.
Old 06-07-2009, 09:48 PM   #4
MerigoldinWA
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 1,834 Times in 1,737 Posts
A baby/toddler sweater is a great idea as a first sweater!! I have made a lot of acrylic baby sweaters and I never bother to wash the swatch or let it rest (I too have not heard this one). It is not a bad idea to wash it I'm sure, but I'm always anxious to get started and don't do it. It never has come back to bite me.

I agree with Sue on the edge stitch. Some people like slipping the first stitch but I think it is a bad idea. Just work it in pattern.

About working the left and rights at the same time. It works great if you don't get mixed up about where you are. I have tried it and go back to working them one at a time because I get myself mixed up. I just keep track of what I did on the first side and then reverse it on the other side. Whatever works for you.

You probably don't need a lifeline but if you want one you can thread the waste yarn through a tapestry needle and use that to run the yarn through the stitches.

If you have been knitting for 13 years you likely won't have any trouble, and will wonder why you wanited so long. I have knit for a long time and I still have problems with my gauge changing on things. Check yourself every few inches and if all else fails rip back. I do it all the time. LOL
Old 06-08-2009, 02:14 PM   #5
heidi jean
Ribbing the Cuff

Thank you so much. I know it is crazy but that "Oh it has to be perfect, it must look absolutly perfect is a curse. I am definetly getting over that, it is paralizing. Plus the only way to get over it is to do it and rip out when needed. The only reason I learned to knit was to knit sweaters!!!!! I have seen so many hand knit sweaters, it was my trigger, or inspiration to learn to knit.
Old 06-08-2009, 03:50 PM   #6
swcheng15
Ribbing the Cuff

Congratulations! My first sweater was a baby sweater too! I ended up redoing it a couple of times bc I measured wrong and had to make the sleeves match the front and back, etc. I've only washed the acrylic sweaters after they were completed, and it doesn't change the size much. Besides, babies come in all sizes so the sweater is bound to fit someone.

Sab
Check out my blog at www.xanga.com/swcheng15

swcheng15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 03:28 PM   #7
sakura-panda
Turning the Heel

Originally Posted by heidi jean View Post
Thank you so much. I know it is crazy but that "Oh it has to be perfect, it must look absolutly perfect is a curse. I am definetly getting over that, it is paralizing. Plus the only way to get over it is to do it and rip out when needed. The only reason I learned to knit was to knit sweaters!!!!! I have seen so many hand knit sweaters, it was my trigger, or inspiration to learn to knit.

Me too! Although I've been knitting for two years and haven't knitted one yet. (I did buy a gorgeous baby sweater from Old Navy this winter. I just love beautiful sweaters! )

I'm holding off until it doesn't take me three months to knit a scarf. (I have time issues that are also known as DS, DD and Baby. )

Good luck on your first sweater!
sakura-panda is offline   Reply With Quote