Old 06-09-2009, 12:13 PM   #11
Quiltlady
Working the Gusset

or perhaps try knitting elastic into the sock?[/quote]

I'd love to use the other sock yarns that I have in my stash that don't have the elastic in them. Now where could I BUY such thin elastic?? I'd be very interested to know..that's a GREAT idea.
Don't let me not wearing my knit socks with my shoes turn others off the idea. I wear size 11 shoes and I have long toes so believe me when I tell you that I have foot issues as it is without having to try to buy larger shoes!! I really am not interested in wearing my socks out. They work great for me to wear them around the house. I have on a pair right now!! I knit my socks with size ONE DPN's.
Quiltlady is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 06-09-2009, 02:06 PM   #12
JudiToots
Ribbing the Cuff

Quiltlady,

Thanks for the encouragement. I'm trying to get through knitting a hat for my husband (one delay after another). Then I would like to start a pair of socks.

Can any yarn be used for socks? Or does it have to be especially made for socks? Pardon my ignorance on the subject.

"She seeks out wool and flax and works with willing hands [to develop it]." Proverbs 31:13 AMP
"Make it your ambition and definitely endeavor to live quietly and peacefully, to mind your own affairs, and to work with your hands..." 1 Thessalonians 4:11 AMP
JudiToots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 02:55 PM   #13
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,729 Times in 7,102 Posts
Originally Posted by JudiToots View Post
Can any yarn be used for socks? Or does it have to be especially made for socks? Pardon my ignorance on the subject.
Well, technically any yarn can be made into socks, but some won't be able to stand up the wear that socks get. Yarns with a nylon/polyester type component are supposed to be the best. For first socks you might try a worsted or DK weight in any yarn just to get a feel for the pattern.

As for stretching you might try using smaller needles. A tighter gauge is sturdier and is probably less like to stretch.

BTW...I don't wear my socks with shoes either. My wide feet just make it to tight. I could go up a size, but I still have the width issue.

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 03:01 PM   #14
kellee0302
Knitting the Flap

Send a message via Yahoo to kellee0302
I wear my hand knit socks with shoes. The only time they are tight is if I use a worsted weight yarn. If I use sock yarn I haven't had a problem with mine. They do stretch to my foot so I wash them and dry them to bounce them back into shape but I find that happens with a lot of store bought socks too.
Old 06-09-2009, 08:50 PM   #15
Plantgoddess+
Working the Gusset

I also knit my socks slightly small as wool and wool blends will stretch a little with wear. They snap back into shape with washing though. I have no problem wearing socks with most shoes. I have one pair of shoes that are a little tight and so I wear my lace weight socks with those. I tend to knit loosely so I go down in needle size regularly. I tend to knit most socks on size 2mm to 2.5 mm. I just bought some 00 and am planning to knit with lace weight yarn on those.
I have used DK weight yarn for skiing socks and I have made worsted weight socks for hubby for work.