Old 06-08-2009, 12:01 AM   #1
VNIT
Casting On

Checkmark Scarf
I'm knitting the Checkmark Scarf from the "Knit One Below" book and I have arrived at Row 1 of Section 3.

The instructions appear to me to be in error because it says to "kf&b, *k1b, k1; repeat from * ...". The problem I'm having is that the k1b would be in a k1b stitch on the row below and that is against the pattern.

I think it should be "kf&b, *1k, k1b; repeat from * ...". But if that's true, then all of the row instructions in Section 3 are off accordingly. I find that hard to believe, but it is hard to take out these stitches, particularly at the edges, so I want to get it right before I go on.

I would dearly love some feedback. TIA

VNIT
VNIT is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 06-08-2009, 09:32 AM   #2
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,451 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
I found errata for the book, but this doesn't appear to be a pattern with errors. The KFB would be the first stitch, which is normally knit anyway right, so the 2nd st would be the one you k1b in as usual. How does the previous row end?

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 08:47 PM   #3
VNIT
Casting On

Originally Posted by suzeeq View Post
I found errata for the book, but this doesn't appear to be a pattern with errors. The KFB would be the first stitch, which is normally knit anyway right, so the 2nd st would be the one you k1b in as usual. How does the previous row end?
Thank you so much for responding. I finally found the errata page for the book (and learned that I ought to be checking ALL of my knitting books since several others that I own were also listed!). You are right about nothing for this pattern.

The previous row ends with a p1, p1b, p1 and therein lies the problem. When you turn the work, you do a kfb into the first stitch and then you would normally do a k1 into the next stitch and a k1b into the following so that you are always knitting (or purling) the k1b stitch on the previous row and doing a new k1b into the purl stitch from the row below. Once you get past the first 1 to 3 stitches on the row to get back to the pattern, every other stitch is a knit (or purl) and then a stitch below, thus creating a column of stitches of the same color yarn. (This pattern uses two balls of different colored yarn and you do the work on a circular needle. You knit, k1b all the way across the first row, slide the work back and then k, k, k1b on the next row with the new color. You turn the work and purl the k1b stitches and p1b into the next plain stitch. The basic pattern looks like this:

x x x x
x x x
x x x x

Sorry to be so long winded here. I just don't know how to say this in three words or less. The width shaping comes in working special stitches at the edges, but then you alway knit/purl back to the pattern. Those special stitches on edge are a bear to take out and I've had to unravel as many as 8 rows to get back on track. I don't want to do that again!

Thank you for helping me.
Old 06-08-2009, 08:48 PM   #4
VNIT
Casting On

Woops. That basic pattern chart I tried to create didn't work. The stitches are not over / under in a column as this showed in my last post, but staggered over one another like a checkerboard.

Sorry!
Old 06-08-2009, 10:50 PM   #5
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,451 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
That's okay, when you try to put character in to simulate the sts it doesn't always work out.

But yeah, I see your problem. You probably should kfb, k1, k1b on the next row and hope the rest of it comes out right.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 02:13 AM   #6
VNIT
Casting On

I sent an inquiry to the publisher so maybe someday there will be an errata page on it. I studied and fussed and charted and finally decided that I'd just knit through the 8th row of the last section anyway because the new section really wanted the last row to end in p2. It's a scarf after all so I decided that an extra half inch in length and two extra stitches in the width wasn't a killer. I can always do two k2tog to fix that.

Thanks so much for your help. Much appreciated and comforting to know that I wasn't totally off the mark. I've been knitting for a little over a year, still learning, and probably always will be.