Old 06-10-2009, 11:32 AM   #1
Linster
Ribbing the Cuff

Opening in the round
This is a continuation of my previous post questioning how to convert a pattern to the round. I'm working from the waist up on this garment and there is a 9 in. vertical opening in the middle of the front neckline. My question is what do I do when I get to the part where I need to split the pattern? I'm not sure if it's a good idea to start knitting back and forth before completing an entire row in the round. What happens to those stitches I just turned and knit away from? I guess if I did that I would be completing two full rows of the front quarter and then working back around to knit the remaining three quarters. It seems, at that point, I won't be working in complete rows anymore (well, complete rows, but my original beginning point, which had been the side of the garment just shifted to the mid-point of the front). Is there another solution or is this the easiest way to split the pattern? I'm hoping that the pattern won't be too hard to follow, considering there's a lot of lace work at the front yoke and continued decreases and bind offs at the sides and armholes. Plus, I'll have to incorporate wrong side rows in with my right side rows since I'm no longer knitting in the round. Ugh! After all this thought, seaming doesn't seem quite so bad after all!!
Linster is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 06-10-2009, 11:49 AM   #2
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,451 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
Yes, you have to knit flat for a while. Knit one side of the opening, then pick up a new strand of yarn and knit the other side. It may seem like one side may be a row off, but it won't matter in the end, it's only something like 1/6 of an inch. This is really a lot easier than you think it will be, so just take it a row at a time.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 12:11 PM   #3
Linster
Ribbing the Cuff

Ok. Sounds like something I can manage. Thanks for the input.
Linster is offline   Reply With Quote