Old 06-10-2009, 04:59 PM   #1
hakandragon
Ribbing the Cuff

Send a message via MSN to hakandragon
Slipper Opening, Help!
Hey everyone So, I'm following a striped slipper sock pattern, and I've gotten a bit stuck! I'm on the upper half of the slipper, and the directions that I'm a bit confused about are the ones in italics:

"Divide for opening - Keeping stripes correct, Next row - K6, cast/bind off 4 sts, K6. Cont on last 6 sts until side measures 15 cms/6 ins from beg, ending with a purl row. Break off yarn. With WS facing, re-join yarn to rem 6 sts and purl to end. Cont on these 6 sts until side measures 15 cms/6 ins from beg, ending with a purl row.

Say huh?

I (think) I get the first 'cont on last 6 sts', meaning work with only those 6? But what about the other 6? Do I just leave them on the needle? And the whole 'breaking off and re-joining' think throws me for a loop...Should it really be purl to end if the rest of the pattern is knit and purl??

Sorry for all the questions, I'm just very confused LOL. (And very new at this, if you can't already tell )

Any help would be muched loved,
Thanks so much!
Jess
hakandragon is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 06-10-2009, 05:05 PM   #2
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,451 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
To 're-join' yarn all you do is start knitting with a new strand. You would work each side of the slit separately and leave the other set of sts on the other end of your needle as you work on the first set. Both sides say to end with a purl row and if your pattern is stockinette, it sounds like there's nothing amiss with the pattern there.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to suzeeq For This Useful Post:
hakandragon (06-10-2009)
Old 06-10-2009, 05:11 PM   #3
Ingrid
Mod Squad

Thanked 2,241 Times in 1,838 Posts
Yes, work only those 6 as you have been.

You can just either leave the other stitches on the needle or put them on a piece of yarn for now. When you are done with the first set of 6 stitches, you're done with that part so you cut the yarn.

Then, for the other 6 stitches, have the wrong (purl) side facing you and purl the first row using the original ball of yarn. You can just start working with it and snug up and weave the end in later. Then work in stockinette until . . . .

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.

Hop aboard while we follow the cloud-covered van of knitting harmony, man!! Woooo!! --Hedgehog

IngridKH on Ravelry
Ingrid is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ingrid For This Useful Post:
hakandragon (06-10-2009)