Old 06-11-2009, 02:23 PM   #1
kimk305
Casting On

Desperately need pattern help!
I have 4 days to finish this newborn sweater and the edging has got me tripped up!

I am crocheting the Olivia sweater from the book easy to crochet Cute Clothes for Kids. It has flower motifs all along the bottom of the sweater. The most outer part of the flower motif is *dc4tog, ch 3, dc4tog, ch 3, dc4tog, ch 5 (the corner) dc4tog, repeat at * Does that make sense? The rest of the sweater is worked in dc.

The edging is described as "clever scalloped edging"!

For the edge it says to work sc evenly from left front opening edge to lower edge of Motif Band working a multiple of 4 sc plus 3 extra, 1 sc into 3rd of 5 ch of lower corner ch sp of end Motif...etc

I think I get that my sc stitches must be worked in multiples of 4 then add 3 extra stiches (example 20+3=23).

I don't know what to do when it comes to the motif. I don't understand "1 sc into 3rd of 5 ch of lower corner ch sp of end Motif"
Does it mean that I continue to work 4+3 but then actually work a sc into the 3rd chain?

This is my 1st crochet project (crazy for it to be a gift, I know) besides a few scarves.

Any help is *greatly* appreciated!!!!!n Thank you!

Kim
kimk305 is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 06-11-2009, 08:34 PM   #2
mathwizard
Turning the Heel

motif
I have one question. When you do the dc4tog do you leave the last loop from each dc on the hook and then yo and draw through all the loops? If so you have made a cluster and the pattern could be referring to the st made by drawing the yarn through all the loops.
Past Portfolio reviewer for Crochet Guild of America
mathwizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 09:20 PM   #3
kimk305
Casting On

yes, I draw through and it makes a "petal" then 3 ch in between and then 5 ch for the corner. I think it means to sc right into the 3rd ch of the corner to define it, kwim?

I'm having a hard time figuring out how many stitches I need though. It's 4+3 for each edge of the sweater. I'm trying to count it out before hand but it's tough.
kimk305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 07:16 AM   #4
mathwizard
Turning the Heel

counting
You have done a fancy name for a cluster and I have heard it called a petal and more depending on the pattern. You are correct that you will define the corner. Sometimes you can count it out and other times you have to go with the flow. Do what the pattern calls for as you do the edging and don't forget the three. So hook away and meet your deadline but I would give up trying to count so you can finish in time just in case you have to redo a portion because you missed something.
Past Portfolio reviewer for Crochet Guild of America
mathwizard is offline   Reply With Quote