Old 06-11-2009, 04:22 PM   #1
AngieLanigan
Knitting the Flap

Would it be difficult to modify this pattern?
Let me start off by saying that modifying patterns scares me to death LOL But, cables used to scare me, too, and they ended up not being too bad.

I want to knit this Flutter Sleeve Cardigan

I have yarn that I'd like to use, but it's worsted weight and the pattern calls for DK weight. I should be able to switch yarns by changing up my needle size until I get the proper guage, right? I think I can handle that ok.

What I'd really like to know, though, is whether it would be horribly difficult to modify the pattern to make it a pullover sweater as opposed to a cardigan? I'd love to be able to knit it in the round, too, instead of in pieces... but I'm clueless as to how to modify a pattern that way.

Any tips? Or am I way out of my league with this thinking? (Be honest, it's ok!). Thanks!

AngieLanigan is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 06-11-2009, 04:51 PM   #2
Mirl56
Instepping Out

Do you have the pattern already? I wonder if it's not knit in the round, or at least I mean one piece/seamless side seams. THe little paragraph description below it talks about the sleeves being knit in with the body so I thought it might be one piece already.

Mirl56 at Ravelry, too.

Learn from the mistakes of others. You canít live long enough to make them all yourself. Eleanor Roosevelt

OTN:
Lady Feb Sweater
more shawlettes, socks
Mirl56 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mirl56 For This Useful Post:
AngieLanigan (06-12-2009)
Old 06-11-2009, 05:28 PM   #3
AngieLanigan
Knitting the Flap

You know what, I think you're right about it being seamless. I don't have the pattern already, because I don't know if I really like the cardigan aspect of it. I'd really love it as a pullover, though.

If you're on Ravelry, PinkMartini made hers as a pullover and I really like it. I just don't know how complicated it would be to change the pattern that much? Is it something I might be able to figure out with maybe a few general how-to's?

Old 06-11-2009, 05:35 PM   #4
AngieLanigan
Knitting the Flap

You know, there are dozens of tutorials out there on converting a pullover to a cardigan, but I can't find a single one to do the opposite.

I thought about sending a message to the girl who converted hers on Ravelry... how would you feel if you got such a message? I'd hate for her to feel obligated to help me, yanno?

Old 06-11-2009, 09:40 PM   #5
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,450 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
You may not be able to get the right gauge on a thicker yarn like a worsted, and you'd have to go down in needle size. So if you have to knit it on size 5s, it could be very stiff. Better to make a smaller size of the pattern after you determine your sts/inch with the worsted and how many sts you need to fit you.

If it's already knit in one piece and is made from the top down, just join when you stop increasing on the fronts and keep knitting.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to suzeeq For This Useful Post:
Old 06-11-2009, 10:31 PM   #6
globaltraveler
Turning the Heel

I'd say go ahead and contact her -- most people are happy to help!

That said, I agree with Sue -- the worsted is going to cause problems. I think this piece needs drape to look good, and simply going down in needle size is, as she says, just going to give you a thicker, stiffer fabric. I'd say to take the needle size UP, to give a more flexible fabric, if you must use the worsted. And that means MATH, or at least figuring out if you get the right measurements making a smaller size with bigger needles. Urrgh. Def swatch it to check all of that.

Also, what's the fiber content of the worsted? That'll also have a lot to do with the drape and hand of your finished fabric.

OTN: Eyelet Chemise in Handmaiden Sea Silk (colorway: Midnight). Still. And a purple Donegal Tweed set of fingerless mitts, to try out my new Hiya Hiya interchangeable needles.

Latest FO: A shrug for an Anthropologie swap in beautiful Casbah sock yarn, in Cedar, a dark green semi-solid, my own pattern. Also a quick Noro Silk Garden neckwarmer for my friend Aideen, in a vine lace pattern.

My knitting blog, Another Long Yarn
globaltraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to globaltraveler For This Useful Post:
Old 06-12-2009, 12:36 PM   #7
Mirl56
Instepping Out

I agree, contact the knitter at ravelry. She will likely be tickled pink with your questions ( I know I would!)

I don't think it'd be too hard to change to pull over. Since you won't need the 2 fronts to overlap, just subtract off one set of the border stitches.

Mirl56 at Ravelry, too.

Learn from the mistakes of others. You canít live long enough to make them all yourself. Eleanor Roosevelt

OTN:
Lady Feb Sweater
more shawlettes, socks
Mirl56 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mirl56 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-12-2009, 05:17 PM   #8
ArtLady1981
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,880 Times in 3,001 Posts
Only one problem arises when folks ask me about a pattern I may have modified: if I didn't knit it just recently...I forget what I did. If I didn't put the modificatin notes in the notes section...then I may or may not have notes around the house.

I swear, even when I have written down what I changed...going back a year later to 'decipher' the notes is a PITA, if for example, I wanna make the sweater pattern again!

So, if you write to her, give her an 'out clause'. Ask her in such a way that she doesn't feel like an imbecile if she has to admit she can't remember what in the heck she did!

Some knitters have a memory like a steel trap...but others (like me) can't remember anything!

For example, I've made that BETTNA cardigan 4 times now...and every time, I fumble around with a tricky part of the finishing process cuz the pattern didn't explain about 4 key steps! And y'all know I keep a notebook! Lotta good that does me! I feel so dumb sometimes!

PS: I read PinkMartini's notes, and she said she converted the pattern to a pullover with the help of "Zarah". I rummaged through her list of friends, and located ZARAH, and she has excellent notes in her project page for this adorable sweater!

PPS: I'm in MAD LOVE with the button-up cardigan version!

Artlady at Rav
ArtLady1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ArtLady1981 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-12-2009, 06:19 PM   #9
Lucy78green
Turning the Heel

Send a message via ICQ to Lucy78green Send a message via MSN to Lucy78green
I've been asked about modifications I've made, and I've replied, but I'm not sure if my explanation made sense to anyone but me.
Old 06-12-2009, 08:12 PM   #10
AngieLanigan
Knitting the Flap

Thank you so much everyone for your advice and suggestions! I love this place, and how everyone's so willing to help all the time! I really appreciate it!

ArtLady, you're quite the detective! Thank you!

Gee, that's a lot of exclamation marks LOL I mean every one, though!