Old 06-13-2009, 10:50 PM   #1
TEMA
Turning the Heel

Getting the kids interested in Knitting?
I have two granddaughters - one 14, the other 10.
I would love to teach them to knit but I cannot, for the life of me, get them the least bit interested.
Is there a trick to getting them involved?
Thanks,
TEMA
TEMA is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 06-14-2009, 08:56 AM   #2
imrachel
Knitting the Flap

This may be like the father who desparately wants to get his son to enjoy football with him, and the kid only wants to play the clarinet. It happens. But one more thing you could try, is to get the latest issue of knit.1 and knitscene magazines, or check out this list of books aimed for the teen knitter. http://www.amazon.com/Teen-Knit-Wits...ch_f_1_rsrsrs0 . If you don't want to buy sight unseen, I'd copy the list and then go to Barnes and Nobel or Borders and check out the patterns in them. If they make you cringe, show too much skin, have a lot of skulls or blasphemous icons, or are carriers for music and computer devices you've never heard of, they'll love them . The other is that if the 14 year old has a boyfriend, or when she does in the future, she may suddenly be inspired: Stitch 'n' Bitch has a book for men, and there's Don't Knit Your Man A Sweater and other books for males that have hip designs in them.
imrachel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 09:11 AM   #3
imrachel
Knitting the Flap

Something else I thought of, is the needle issue. Making this NOT seem like something Grandma wants us to do that people used to do in the dark ages will be helpful (think of if your grandmother tried to teach you to embroider pillow cases for a hope chest, the way she did as a girl-- but if she'd taught you to embroider hippy flowers on your jeans, she couldn't have pulled you away from it).

There are the light-up kind (http://www.joann.com/joann/catalog.j...RODID=prd58075 ), the multi-colored kind (http://www.coatsandclark.com/Product...rystalites.htm and http://www.coatsandclark.com/Product...tes+Luxite.htm ), the candy canes (http://www.yarns-and.com/Needles/CandyCanes10.jpg), and the glow in the dark (http://www.coatsandclark.com/Product...s+Smartglo.htm ).
imrachel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 09:14 AM   #4
ArtLady1981
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,893 Times in 3,014 Posts
No. There's no trick to it. They either do, or don't.
They're interested, or not. That's life.

One of my daughter's learned, but after knitting a boatload of by-the-front-door guest slipper booties...and quit.

My college granddaughter learned, did knit an entire scarf (!) and quit.

My almost-the-youngest granddaugther learned to knit a scarf, never finished it, and quit.

I taught them to knit at their request. All 3 of them were very proficient.
But just not interested enough to make time to continue.

Gotta say...the middle daughter has a home and 2 little kids; the oldest granddaughter just graduated from the UW yesterday! and the younger granddaughter is excelling in grade school!

Timing is the key. Maybe later will be better! Maybe not.

Artlady at Rav
ArtLady1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 02:06 PM   #5
Mike
Working the Gusset

Lock them in a closet with needles and yarn.
That worked to get Sybil interested in purple crayons.

Some people are crafty and some aren't. If they have no interest in being crafty you're really not going to teach them. You could do more damage trying to force it.
I think my niece tried as a kid and since she couldn't back then she's convinced she can't now. One of her kids is always crocheting, the other does it occasionally and is a color coordinating genius.
I think both were taught at their own request.
Although I am teaching the constant crocheter knitting at my request because the way she crochets is more like English knitting than anyone's style of crochet.

YouTube channel
Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 02:53 PM   #6
cindycactus
Turning the Heel

I learned as a child. I loved watching my mother knit and one day she started a mitten on 4 needles and showed me the knit and purl stitches and I was off knitting. But my 4 sisters just were never interested. My dd watched my mother crochet and she picked that up but paid no attention to my knitting. I taught my step dd and step dgd and they still knit from time to time but the other granddaughters are not interested. So it just depends on them.