Old 07-05-2009, 11:56 PM   #31
lulubell
Knitting the Flap

Well, it is the 6th here today, I think I am a day ahead of you all!
I am going to do the pattern as it is, not do centre out. Because the leaves are staggered the centre back will have 2 almost whole leaves butt ends together and 2 pointy ends of leaves joined together. But then again will I be able to handle the leaves going in different directions at the ends???
lulubell is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 07-06-2009, 09:53 AM   #32
Lieuvena
Knitting the Flap

I'm thinking I'm going to stick with the pattern as written. I still really like it.

I'm going to cast on sometime today, just not too sure when. I have a very busy day today. I have to do a lot of cooking and getting ready for some friends who are coming to visit from out of state tomorrow. But I will cast on, I've been very ready to start!

Lieuvena
Lieuvena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 05:15 PM   #33
lulubell
Knitting the Flap

Well I am committed to do centres out. I cast on a provisional crochet cast on and have done a couple of repeats. I guess if I change my mind I can always pick up the cast on stitches and cast off!! It does not look very wide, more a stole than a shawl.
But a very easy pattern to memorise which is good.
Old 07-06-2009, 05:24 PM   #34
maniago
Knitting the Flap

Send a message via AIM to maniago
I've just finished the third repeat, it is an easy pattern to follow.
maniago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 06:17 PM   #35
Lieuvena
Knitting the Flap

Wow! I think you guys are going to kick my behind here! I managed to cast on and I'm on the 7th row of the first repeat!!! I just haven't been able to work on it. Won't be able to get much done tomorrow either. Hopefully after that it will pick up a bit for me.

I do think that it is an easy pattern to follow and am looking forward to seeing it as it knits up.

@lulubell-I chose to go ahead and do it from end to end because I don't know how to do a provisional cast on. If I had more time I would have learned, but this will be a busy few days and I really wanted to get it started. If I really like this shawl then I may do another one later from the centers out. As for it's size, I saw that several people on Ravelry mentioned that it was more of a stole. I'll be honest, I don't even know what that is! A small shawl, I assume? I also saw that some people added repeats to theirs to make it larger. I do think that it will block a bit larger too.

It says to block to 21" x 40". I think the width will be fine. It's the length I wonder about. I bought an extra skein of yarn (I hope) and will make mine longer if I need to.

Lieuvena
Old 07-06-2009, 06:27 PM   #36
maniago
Knitting the Flap

Send a message via AIM to maniago
I added to extra width repeats
maniago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 07:55 PM   #37
Lieuvena
Knitting the Flap

Originally Posted by maniago View Post
I added to extra width repeats
I really think that I should have. I've gotten through 2 pattern repeats and I don't think that I will get it to 21" no matter how aggressively I block it. So know I think I'm going to have to frog and add two more repeats. I'm worried about yarn though. I did buy an extra skein, but I don't think I'll have enough to add the extra.

I just ordered it from Knit Picks a couple of weeks ago. I wonder If I will be able to get the same dye lot.

Lieuvena
Old 07-06-2009, 08:05 PM   #38
Lieuvena
Knitting the Flap

OK. I just checked and I have 4 skeins, which is 924 yards. Do you all think that is enough to add two extra repeats to the width and still get a decent length, or should I try and get some more yarn? That's double what it calls for yardage wise, so that should be enough, shouldn't it?

Lieuvena
Old 07-06-2009, 08:35 PM   #39
lulubell
Knitting the Flap

I have got 180 gr/650 metres (720yds) and I am planning on doing as many repeats as I can lengthways to a max of 60". I wish I had added 2 pattern repeats in width though.

I think you will have plenty for 24 extra stitches in width and still have a good length.

A stole is a length of lace knitting or light silky material that you elegantly drape around your upper body and let hang down the front hooked over your arms. Sort of like a scarf for your mid to upper back.

Last edited by lulubell : 07-06-2009 at 08:44 PM. Reason: added yards
Old 07-06-2009, 08:53 PM   #40
Lieuvena
Knitting the Flap

Originally Posted by lulubell View Post
A stole is a length of lace knitting or light silky material that you elegantly drape around your upper body and let hang down the front hooked over your arms. Sort of like a scarf for your mid to upper back.
Aaah. Then I guess this really would be a stole then wouldn't it? Thanks for the answers. Now to frog or not to frog that is the question. I think It will fall decent enough, but will I be happy?

Lieuvena