Old 06-21-2009, 12:57 PM   #1
Sknitter56
Knitting the Flap

My sis and I went to England!
My sister and I just returned from a 2-week trip to England. Neither of us had ever flown overseas before, so we had quite an experience. My sister met Maggie, her English friend, back in the '80s when they worked together at a mortgage loan company. Maggie and her husband, Roy, moved here when Roy was tranferred to the Rolls Royce division of Gulfstream here in Savannah. He retired several years ago and they were required to go back to England. Maggie has been trying for years to talk my sister into going over for a visit and one day, we were talking about Maggie and she was saying how much she missed her, so I told her, "Let's do it." Neither of our husbands wanted to go, so we went ourselves and had a blast! The trip was quite an experience what with all the rules and regulations that, unfortunately, are necessary now. But, we cleared the checks fine and left Savannah at 3:15 in the afternoon, flew to Atlanta, then had a 3-hour layover there. We left Atlanta at 6:45, flew up the east coast, through Maine, Canada, Nova Scotia, then over the North Atlantic to England. We flew into Manchester, which was closer for Maggie and Roy than Heathrow, only a little over an hour drive.
We got in around 8:45 a.m. England time, which was actually about 2:45 in the morning our time. We didn't sleep much on the plane so we were exhausted. We took a short nap that day and had to force ourselves to stay up until 8:00 p.m. that night, but the next day it seemed our bodies had adjusted some and we didn't have too much trouble with the jet lag after that.
Our first venture was to Chatsworth, a private residence of the Duke and Duchess of Devonshire, that's open to the public. Unbelievable! Beautiful antiques, original paintings, the countryside was just gorgeous, pictures do NOT do it justice.
Another day we went to Warwick Castle, a medieval castle with Renaissance characters, a bird-of-prey show (owl, bald eagle, sea eagle, and vulture), beautiful grounds and gardens, peacocks everywhere...so much fun.
The only day it rained was the day we took a bus to London for a 2-day stay. It rained all the way there and was quite cool, but the rain stopped around 2:00 p.m. and it got warmer and turned out to be a nice afternoon. We went to Trafalgar Square and the National Gallery, got lost, walked the Mall to Buckingham Palace (according to Maggie, the Queen was in residence as the flag on top of the palace was flying), got lost some more, and rode the London Eye (400' high Ferris-wheel type ride).
Back home at Derby, we were invited to several homes for buffets, lunches, visited a dairy farm, met so many wonderful people and had the most incredible visit. We were both getting just a little homesick toward the end of our stay, but we've decided that we're definitely going back, hopefully next year. The part of England we saw was beautiful. One weird thing...it didn't get dark until almost 10:30 at night, and by around 3:00 a.m., the sun was already starting to come up. Maggie says that in the winter, it's just the opposite...very short days, very long nights.
I can't wait to go back....there's so much more we want to see next time.

Last edited by Sknitter56 : 11-22-2009 at 09:01 PM.
Sknitter56 is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 06-21-2009, 03:34 PM   #2
cindycactus
Turning the Heel

Sounds like you had a wonderful trip. Thanks for sharing. The pictures are beautiful. Our DD and DGD went to England & Ireland a few years ago. They loved it.
Old 06-21-2009, 06:26 PM   #3
Phaedra
Knitting the Flap

Send a message via AIM to Phaedra
I can feel your enthusiasm!!! Thank you sharing this!

Last edited by Phaedra : 06-21-2009 at 10:12 PM.
Phaedra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 07:04 PM   #4
Sknitter56
Knitting the Flap

Ireland and/or Scotland is on my list for the next time we go. We're definitely going again. I just hope the dollar is a little stronger next time. I took about $1.60 to get one pound so our money went pretty fast. We were lucky we had some place to stay.
Sknitter56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 03:54 PM   #5
motherpink
1st Leg of the Journey

My country ain't too bad in fact I love it here. if you do go to Ireland you need your passports with you because it's Island that you have to enter with a passport. It's not part of Scotland nor England.

Go to the lake district you love the sights there.
motherpink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 04:55 AM   #6
dreamingintx
Ribbing the Cuff

You stayed not far from where I'm living now! Glad you had a nice time!
dreamingintx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 05:39 PM   #7
knitkid11
Ribbing the Cuff

Me and my family went to England to before! It is so beautiful there and so much cleaner!
Old 07-06-2009, 01:04 PM   #8
VictoiseC
Instepping Out

I know it's way after you posted but I so enjoyed reading about your trip! I used to go to London every single year, for years, and I wrote a novel set there (which isn't published yet). I was so in love with England and I miss it so I'm glad you went and enjoyed it! Lucky you! cheers, Victoria

VictoiseC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 10:47 AM   #9
themonkeygirl
Casting On

Send a message via AIM to themonkeygirl Send a message via MSN to themonkeygirl Send a message via Yahoo to themonkeygirl
I went to England in 2000 for two weeks by myself. I have to say that it was an absolutely incredible experience. I completely immersed myself with the locals because I was by myself. I would not trade having to go by myself for anything!!!

themonkeygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 04:03 PM   #10
motherpink
1st Leg of the Journey

Originally Posted by knitkid11 View Post
Me and my family went to England to before! It is so beautiful there and so much cleaner!
England is not that clean. There are places that is very dirty and building are ready to be distroyed. You nust been to one of the tourist attractions over here. There are very beautiful places here also.

I'm glad you lot enjoyed your stay in the UK
motherpink is offline   Reply With Quote