Old 06-22-2009, 08:44 PM   #1
McKnitty
Turning the Heel

Hat w/ Stripes In The Round
I've done stranded knitting, and I know how to carry yarn up the side, but I'm having trouble with carrying the yarn up while knitting in the round.

I'm knitting a hat with stripes (2 colors, tan and black) and when I change colors I am carrying the nonworking yarn up the "side" (the beginning of the round) the same as I would at the end of a row (working yarn goes under the nonworking yarn). However, ever so often the nonworking yarn color shows through the stripe.

Is there anything I can do? Is it maybe because there is such a contrast between the two colors? I've tried searching online, but all I can find is what I'm already doing.

TXMcKnitty on Ravelry
McKnitty is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 06-22-2009, 10:27 PM   #2
ittybittypretty
1st Leg of the Journey

Are you making sure to twist the strands around each other as you change to the new color?
ittybittypretty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 11:03 PM   #3
McKnitty
Turning the Heel

Originally Posted by ittybittypretty View Post
Are you making sure to twist the strands around each other as you change to the new color?

Yes, but the problem isn't at the color change. The nonworking yarn is carried for 3 more rounds after the color change, so those rounds are where the nonworking yarn's color peeks out through the stripe.

At the beginning stitch of the round, I bring the working yarn under the nonworking yarn (as if carrying up the side in flat knitting). I've tried doing it every row, and then tried every 2 rows (which was what one website suggested), but have the same results.

TXMcKnitty on Ravelry
McKnitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 01:07 AM   #4
MerigoldinWA
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 1,834 Times in 1,737 Posts
I am not always happy with the result when trying to carry yarns up in circular knitting. If I want it to turn out real nicely I usually break the yarn instead of carrying it.

When I get to the last round before the color change I often hold the yarn up along the holding needle and work under and over the yarn I will be using for about an inch and a half to two inches. Then when I get to the color change I clip the old yarn and hold it up and work over its tail the same way I did the first one. This may show through too if the yarns are very contrasting. If that is the case I wouldn't try to work over the yarn, but change where I would just work the two tail yarns into their own colors when I'm done.