Old 06-24-2009, 01:52 AM   #1
auntcrafty
Knitting the Flap

Questions about dyeing fabric
Okay ~ I volunteered to help sew costumes and to keep the costs down, we are using donated sheets for the fabric. All the sheets are white so I am going to have to dye them before cutting the patterns out.

Has anyone dyed fabric using Rit dye before? How easy is it to do? My biggest concern is trying to do the machine method and dyeing my washer (which isn't mine). Since I'm having to dye the sheets -- royal blue, tan, and dark brown -- don't want the white washer to get dyed. Thought about doing it in a plastic bin, but the thought of ringing all of those sheets out doesn't appeal.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks so much!

"....that their hearts may be encouraged, being knit together in love... Colossians 2:2
auntcrafty is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 06-25-2009, 06:24 AM   #2
Mike
Working the Gusset

I would use the plastic tubs.
Don't worry about having to wring them out. Have another tub and rinse, rinse, and then rinse some more.
Once the water is running clear you can use the washer/dryer without worry.

I worry more about getting some dye left over somewhere in the washer I can't reach to clean out and having it stain other things than staining the washer.

I did green and brown on a roll of burlap (which presents it's own washer issues, although I think I did end up making a mess in the washer once duck season was over), they came out good.
I dyed a dress shirt yellow and it really came out good.
I don't know what blue it was but when I tried deer hair/skin it came out very light.
I'd look for tips on getting dark colors to come out true.

Also if these donated sheets aren't the same fabrics you'll have issues matching. Try to separate them by fabric for your different colors.

YouTube channel
Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mike For This Useful Post:
auntcrafty (06-25-2009)
Old 06-25-2009, 05:25 PM   #3
auntcrafty
Knitting the Flap

Thank you -- I've been told by several people that as long as I follow the directions for machine washing, I should be fine. The directions state to run the washer immediately after done dyeing with a cup of bleach. Should be interesting & I'll let you know what happens.

"....that their hearts may be encouraged, being knit together in love... Colossians 2:2
Old 06-25-2009, 06:06 PM   #4
HollyP
Working the Gusset

I dyed a couple of things black recently in my washer. I just followed the directions and my machine looked good as new after. A friend told me if all the dye doesn't come out of the washer you could run another empty bleach load. But I truly didn't need to. Good luck!

Southeast Baby Oddball Blog
HollyP is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to HollyP For This Useful Post:
auntcrafty (06-26-2009)
Old 06-27-2009, 02:08 PM   #5
auntcrafty
Knitting the Flap

*sigh* of relief! Successfully dyed the sheets & thankful for not dyeing the washer! Amazed at the colors being so "true". Still have to do a grey one, but it will have to wait until I get more salt.

Thanks everyone!