Old 09-16-2009, 02:38 PM   #11
coastermeg
Casting On

Originally Posted by ABMama View Post
I've never done short rows that way, but if you're interested....I use this method http://www.woolywonder.com/forums/sh...1&postcount=34 when knitting in the round (I make longies all the time, so I use this method a lot!).

HTH!
Thanks, ABMama, for the link. It doesn't address where I'm having the problem, though. When knitting in the round, conventional knitting has you going clockwise around your item (from left needle to right needle). After doing a wrap on the knit side, I purl to where I'm going to do a wrap and turn, landing back on the knit side, where I continue knitting in the round.

Let's say I have a 100-stitch circle and I have to make my first wrap at stitch #50. I knit #50, wrap the next stitch, then purl back, let's say 10 stitches (stitch #40, because I'm going back the other way). I wrap that one and turn so I'm knitting 'forward' (clockwise) again. Now, the first wrap I come to is the one I've made at stitch 50. I can lift and hide the wrap on that one no problem (thank you, Cat Bordhi). When I continue around my circle, I go back to my beginning of round and keep knitting. The next wrap I come to is #40, the one I made while I was actually purling. Going this direction, the wrap is actually on the stitch on my left needle, not the stitch on my right needle (as when going in the knit direction).

I found a thread on Ravelry about this; the suggestion outlines manipulating the stitch and its wrap so it's sorta hidden, but it's very fiddly.

Any other ideas?
- Meg

megknits408.blogspot.com
coastermeg is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 09-16-2009, 05:32 PM   #12
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,450 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
YEah, that's what I'd do. Move the wrap so it won't show on the RS when you knit it together.

One thing I found is that no matter which W&T instructions I used, I had to always manuever the wrap stitch to hide it. Then I found that if I wrapped the outside of the stitch, that worked. So instead of bringing the yarn to the front of your work, slip the stitch and turn, I slip the stitch first, then move the yarn to the front, then turn which wraps that stitch the other direction. Maybe try that on your purl wraps.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 05:45 PM   #13
coastermeg
Casting On

Originally Posted by suzeeq View Post
YEah, that's what I'd do. Move the wrap so it won't show on the RS when you knit it together.

One thing I found is that no matter which W&T instructions I used, I had to always manuever the wrap stitch to hide it. Then I found that if I wrapped the outside of the stitch, that worked. So instead of bringing the yarn to the front of your work, slip the stitch and turn, I slip the stitch first, then move the yarn to the front, then turn which wraps that stitch the other direction. Maybe try that on your purl wraps.
Oooh... the Kobyashi Maru scenario! (Obscure Star Trek reference...) I like the concept, but still think the 'wrong' stitch will be wrapped when I come back around to it. I'll play with the next round of wraps to see if that changes the situation. Thanks!

megknits408.blogspot.com
Old 09-16-2009, 07:03 PM   #14
suzeeq
Knit On!

I do know the Kobyashi Maru.... <lifts one eyebrow>

No, you're wrapping the same stitch as in other directions for wrapping, it's just going a different direction and that's what seems to make it work better. At least for me, and I haven't tried this in the round yet, just flat knitting.

Old 09-17-2009, 02:54 AM   #15
coastermeg
Casting On

Hi Suzeeq... Doing the move before the wrap seemed to make it a tad bit easier to lift the wrap over the stitch; thanks so much for that suggestion. I still think there's got to be a better way to hide the wrap and gap when short-rowing in the round, but for now, this trick plus the Ravelry suggestion have made for a smooth pick-up. Thanks!

megknits408.blogspot.com
Old 10-15-2009, 07:56 AM   #16
MoosesMuse
Casting On

Seeing the same problem
I have never added a short row before. I mostly make afghans,ponchos, and scarves but I just started making soakers for my neice. I was reading this pattern that calls for short rows so I looked at the video on how to do a short row and I could see there would be a gap if I did it that way in the round as you never end up on the purl side. So what it looks like is I (we) want to know is how to change the technique to accomidate working in the round since after the short row part don't end up on the purl side. It seems that wraping the yard differnently would work, but I just can't figure it out.
MoosesMuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 09:41 AM   #17
suzeeq
Knit On!

Yes you knit it on the purl side when knitting in the round. When you wrap a stitch you turn and purl back to where you wrap another st.

Last edited by suzeeq : 10-15-2009 at 04:31 PM.
Old 10-15-2009, 11:40 AM   #18
coastermeg
Casting On

Purl side short rows on knit side
Yes, MoosesMuse, like Suzeeq said you'll knit that stitch. The finicky part comes when you are hiding the wrap, but the concept is the same.

On the knit side, when I come to the knit stitch that was wrapped, I (a) lift the wrap onto my left needle, (b) pass the wrap over the knit stitch, then (c) knit the two (wrap & stitch) through the back loop.

On the knit side, when I come back around to the stitch that had been wrapped on the purl side, it's a little more fussy, but the same concept. I (a) take my left needle and pick up the wrap (lifting from the bottom up), (b) using my right needle, I gently coax the knit stitch off the left needle and through the wrap, (c) then I place that knit stitch onto the left needle, keeping it to the right of the wrap (which is now on the left needle), (d) knit those two (wrap & stitch) together.

Manipulating the purl wrapped stitch on the knit side is very fussy, but after trying a lot of different techniques, I have found that this way hides the gap better, especially after some gentle blocking.

Good luck!
- Meg

megknits408.blogspot.com
Old 01-12-2012, 03:43 PM   #19
lisalovestoknit
Casting On

Did you ever find a workaround for this problem? I'm going through the same thing with doing short rows in the round. In my case I'm doing a short row shawl collar that is part of a ribbed button band that goes all the way around the sweater (530 stitches!) in one piece. The designer wants you to do YOs but her instructions are vague and I still get holes. W&T works perfectly going down the front, when the wrap is on the right side of the gap, but coming back up the other side when it is on the far side of the gap, confusion reigns. I've tried pulling the wrap up onto the left needle and then knitting it with the last worked stitch on the right, which kind of works but doesn't look all that great.
lisalovestoknit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 01:36 AM   #20
coastermeg
Casting On

Sort of...
Hi there... I posted my solution, which I'll repeat below, then add some additional comments...

----------------
On the knit side, when I come to the knit stitch that was wrapped, I (a) lift the wrap onto my left needle, (b) pass the wrap over the knit stitch, then (c) knit the two (wrap & stitch) through the back loop.

On the knit side, when I come back around to the stitch that had been wrapped on the purl side, it's a little more fussy, but the same concept. I (a) take my left needle and pick up the wrap (lifting from the bottom up), (b) using my right needle, I gently coax the knit stitch off the left needle and through the wrap, (c) then I place that knit stitch onto the left needle, keeping it to the right of the wrap (which is now on the left needle), (d) knit those two (wrap & stitch) together.

Manipulating the purl wrapped stitch on the knit side is very fussy, but after trying a lot of different techniques, I have found that this way hides the gap better, especially after some gentle blocking.

Good luck!
- Meg
----------------

At the time, I was making a bunch of cowls for my knitting posse and wanted a clean way to close that gap. After making 2 cowls in stockinette, I decided to change the pattern to include a bunch of yarn-overs and K2togs which, fortunately, mask any potential gapping problems. If you go to Ravelry (username Megpie) and look at my cowl projects, you can see some of them, plus some socks I made using the same technique.

So, I sort of figured out how to make it not look terrible, but then I also sidestepped the whole issue by changing the pattern. :-)

-Meg

megknits408.blogspot.com