Old 06-24-2009, 01:14 PM   #1
motherpink
1st Leg of the Journey

Knitting for profit?
In the past I had knitted for several people who they were willing to pay me for doing it so I said yes but my mistake was. If the people who wanted a garment done and they can't get to the yard shop to get the yarn so I offered to get it for them and make it, once I had finished the garment thay didn't want it and I was stuck with it. It kept me busy and It's a hobby I love doing.

So if it's done properly can this be a profitable business? and wondering if any of you guys had the same expereience as me with people.
motherpink is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 06-24-2009, 01:48 PM   #2
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,797 Times in 7,157 Posts
Profitable..maybe if you aren't figuring in your time. If you actually put a dollar amount on your time then the answer is probably not. Few if any will actually pay the amount a hand knit sweater is really worth.

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 04:58 PM   #3
thecatsmother
Knitting the Flap

I agree with Jan,if I made a sweater for someone I would charge upwards of $200, so when folk ask I just say they can't afford me.
I also offer to teach them to knit-but I've never had any takers on that
Old 06-24-2009, 06:01 PM   #4
globaltraveler
Turning the Heel

What they said. We've had a few threads on this subject. It is possible, but you've really got to be able to knit really fast in order to even come close to being able to knit for a reasonable rate.

OTN: Eyelet Chemise in Handmaiden Sea Silk (colorway: Midnight). Still. And a purple Donegal Tweed set of fingerless mitts, to try out my new Hiya Hiya interchangeable needles.

Latest FO: A shrug for an Anthropologie swap in beautiful Casbah sock yarn, in Cedar, a dark green semi-solid, my own pattern. Also a quick Noro Silk Garden neckwarmer for my friend Aideen, in a vine lace pattern.

My knitting blog, Another Long Yarn
globaltraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 08:22 PM   #5
trishknitz
Casting On

I also don't think you could charge enough to cover your time. However, if you love to knit as a hobby, maybe you could charge a set fee per garment plus the cost of the wool. Then you are still able to do something you enjoy, and make a small profit. Or maybe you could just knit up a few things and once you have enough take a stall at a local market or car boot sale. Cute baby and kids clothes would do well, I reckon. Or there's always ebay. Good luck!!
Old 06-24-2009, 08:55 PM   #6
yelppuppy
Casting On

You can set up a shop on etsy.com. Like everyone said, it'll never be worth the time spent, but at least it makes up for the material costs. Most importantly, there is nothing like joy of knowing someone willing to pay for your work.
yelppuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 08:59 PM   #7
mathwizard
Turning the Heel

profit
Selling on Etsy, flea markets or crafts fairs would be nice. I wouldn't make a garment for someone unless they purchase the yarn or give you the money for the yarn up front. If they decide they don't want it later the only thing you are out is your time.
Past Portfolio reviewer for Crochet Guild of America
mathwizard is offline   Reply With Quote