Old 06-24-2009, 01:30 PM   #1
JudiToots
Ribbing the Cuff

Knitting while walking?
Just curious if anyone has attempted to knit while walking...

Due to a "walking challenge" at work and personal health reasons, I need to get myself moving. (My job requires that I sit at a computer most of the day.) I started using a pedometer and my numbers are horrible. My husband said, "Maybe you should try walking while you knit." I think he meant it as a joke but the funny thing is that I had already thought of it shortly before he said it.

Knitting while walking on a treadmill is not a possibility for me. I had an encounter with a treadmill last Fall. (Still have scars from it.) While I am not afraid of the treadmill, I certainly don't want to have another incident.

But what about walking around the neighborhood? Would socks be an easy project to do while walking? Could I just get a lap bag to carry my supplies? Any ideas?

"She seeks out wool and flax and works with willing hands [to develop it]." Proverbs 31:13 AMP
"Make it your ambition and definitely endeavor to live quietly and peacefully, to mind your own affairs, and to work with your hands..." 1 Thessalonians 4:11 AMP
JudiToots is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 06-24-2009, 01:40 PM   #2
motherpink
1st Leg of the Journey

I won't thought that would be advisable because your could easily trip up something and stab yourself. It's a funny thought though walking while you knit.
motherpink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 01:51 PM   #3
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,751 Times in 7,121 Posts
Sure! If you do a small project like dishcloths or socks it would be pretty easy. There are small bags that have a handle/wrist strap on them that could carry the yarn while you walk. I would nix the large projects though. And it would help if you can look up a lot while knitting..otherwise you could trip and hurt yourself.

Something like this -
http://yarnmonster.blogspot.com/2007/01/drawstring-bag-tutorial.html
http://www.etsy.com/view_listing.php...ng_id=24444734

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 02:43 PM   #4
saracidaltendencies
Working the Gusset

Thanked 1,090 Times in 608 Posts
Yes, actually...lol...Around Christmas, I had to get some projects done since they were gifts...I needed every minute I had so when it came time to get my daughter from school, I'd knit while I walked up to the school...lol...I had a coat with big pockets so I just put my ball of yarn in my pocket and knitted from it...You could also use a handbag or something, I'm sure.

"You must be the change you wish to see in the world."
- Mahatma Gandhi
saracidaltendencies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 02:47 PM   #5
OffJumpsJack
Working the Gusset

Sure
Just be aware of the drivers that are reading novels or maps..

I'd recommend garter stitch and circular needles. That way you don't have to look at your work as much and if a needles slips out it shouldn't hit the ground where it might get scarred up.

Alternatively you could download knitting podcasts to your mp3 player and listen to talk about knitting while you walk.

Best of luck with your walking.

as Off-Jumps-Jack

OTN another Black & gold Diagonal Square Potholder
OTH Baby blanket
OTH Lace doily - A vintage pattern recreating from an heirloom.
OffJumpsJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 03:38 PM   #6
cftwo
Working the Gusset

I have a tendency to walk into things (signs, poles, etc.) if I don't watch where I'm going. I can knit and read, but I don't dare knit and walk.

(There are also walking video workouts, which can be handy if the weather is bad - www.walkathome.com )
cftwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 04:39 PM   #7
canhota
Casting On

Certainly you can walk and knit. I've seen a lot of people doing just that in South America. I'd stay off of busy roads, however, and skip trying to use an IPOD or MP3 player at the same time.
canhota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 06:07 PM   #8
globaltraveler
Turning the Heel

Safety first. Don't knit while walking until you can pay more attention to where your feet are going than having to look at your knitting. Lots of people can knit while walking and not looking at the knitting. (I'm not one of them, however.)

OTN: Eyelet Chemise in Handmaiden Sea Silk (colorway: Midnight). Still. And a purple Donegal Tweed set of fingerless mitts, to try out my new Hiya Hiya interchangeable needles.

Latest FO: A shrug for an Anthropologie swap in beautiful Casbah sock yarn, in Cedar, a dark green semi-solid, my own pattern. Also a quick Noro Silk Garden neckwarmer for my friend Aideen, in a vine lace pattern.

My knitting blog, Another Long Yarn
globaltraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 07:18 PM   #9
imrachel
Knitting the Flap

It sounds like a nice idea, but I'm just envisioning a poke in the eye. I wouldn't try it.
imrachel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 07:47 PM   #10
mwhite
Instepping Out

Originally Posted by imrachel View Post
It sounds like a nice idea, but I'm just envisioning a poke in the eye. I wouldn't try it.
I agree and I'd be the one getting the poke...just not this coordinated!
mwhite is offline   Reply With Quote