Old 06-25-2009, 03:20 PM   #1
toddandleah
Ribbing the Cuff

Pattern Adjustments
Hi all! I need a lot of help. I am considering knitting up a bolero jacket for my daughter found here :http://www.garnstudio.com/lang/en/vi...d_id=9&lang=us

Now, there are several problems to iron out. The yarn used is a DK weight silk/mohair, double-stranded. I want to want my daughter to wear this if I'm going to go through the trouble of making it, and though I love silk and mohair, well, I want this to fall under play-clothes-casual-wear-appropriate, not hang-in-the-closet-and-wear-once-before-it-is-eaten-by-moths category. So I was thinking of doing the crayon boucle (http://www.knitpicks.com/yarns/Crayo..._D5420121.html) found at knitpicks, which is DK weight. I'm unfamiliar with this yarn, I just thought it would be a nice substitute for the look of the model's jacket, but machine-washable, playing-friendly, and my daughter loves the gumball color it comes in. Should I double-strand it? Or just try to knit it to the guage (17 st using whatever needle will get me there).
Here's the other thing - and it may send up red flags for all the experienced knitters out there, but I don't know any better yet the size for the pattern is actually 7/8, and well, my daughter is 5. The finished measurements are a good 4" too roomy. When I read briefly through pattern, there was a lot of "keep doing this until piece measures x" Can I adjust the pattern as I go? Sorta measure it to her as I go along (for example, on the increases for the back panel, only do enough to get around her and then move on from there?) Should I knit it as it is written but with the higher stitch count of the knitpicks yarn (say 22) and just know it's going to be smaller, and it will probably still fit her with room to grow- and if it doesn't, well, she has a little sister.
Or just put it on a list of "Projects to do someday" when she's a little older, and look for something that is in her size now. And if that's the way to go, anybody seen anything remotely similar? Help!

Thanks,
Leah
toddandleah is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 06-25-2009, 09:21 PM   #2
Ingrid
Mod Squad

Thanked 2,244 Times in 1,838 Posts
I'm thinking that if you work the pattern with the higher stitch count you should give it a shot since you can be flexible.

Length can always be adjusted as needed.

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.

Hop aboard while we follow the cloud-covered van of knitting harmony, man!! Woooo!! --Hedgehog

IngridKH on Ravelry
Ingrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 09:44 PM   #3
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,451 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
I think it's worth a shot. If you have another sweater of hers to measure that's similar, those measurements can be your guide in making this one. If your gauge turns out a little smaller than the pattern, then it may come close to fitting her better.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote