Closed Thread

Old 06-29-2009, 09:20 AM   #21
GinnyG
Instepping Out

I guess I just don't "get" all the attention and media surrounding the death of any celeb.

This weekend I found the non stop meda coverage very annoying. It is always sad when someone dies, even if that person is a perverted freak (I don't believe that "not guilty" means innocent) but as the average Joe that death really has little significance, other than historical note.

Flocking to a persons "Walk of Fame Star" or hometown to me is just plain bizarre. Most celebs who die, whether it's Elvis or Billie Mays, live on through films, Sound Track or other media so the impact of their loss is really minimal to those who are not directly connected.

With so many really critical and important issues going on in the world the death of a celeb, while worth mention, is hardly a world changing event (to other than the family and friends).

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 06-29-2009, 09:21 AM   #22
knitgal
Working the Gusset

It is unfortunate that we are even having this discussion. ArtLady started this thread as a tribute to those who have died recently and it has turned into a shameful bashing of someone who was perhaps a little strange, but never proved guilty of what you say. Let's remember him for the music icon that he was and respect him for that.

OTN: Corona, Miter square blanket, Charity blankets
FO: Forest Canopy Shawl, Easy Baby Bootees, Kitty Pi, Ms. Marigold, Twinkle Toes, Josh's socks, Hedera socks, Spring Beret, Ashley's Birthday socks, Socks for the DBF's mom, grey socks for the DBF, my first socks, reversible cable scarf, ribbed hat for the BF, Manos Del Uruguay afghan, and a whole bunch of dishcloths!

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to knitgal For This Useful Post:
cdjack (06-30-2009), KnittingNat (07-01-2009), LadyFirelyght (06-29-2009), scout52 (06-30-2009)
Old 06-29-2009, 09:26 AM   #23
knitgal
Working the Gusset

Ginny, I agree that it is a little annoying to see the media coverage of a celebritiy's death, yet people die everyday and are not receognized in the same way.

I have been dealing with the death of my mother since March. She was 54 and I am 23. She broke her neck from a fall down the stairs and I never get to see her again. It bothers me that people say they are so upset about the deaths of celebrities who they never knew. They clearly have no idea what it is really like to lose someone.

OTN: Corona, Miter square blanket, Charity blankets
FO: Forest Canopy Shawl, Easy Baby Bootees, Kitty Pi, Ms. Marigold, Twinkle Toes, Josh's socks, Hedera socks, Spring Beret, Ashley's Birthday socks, Socks for the DBF's mom, grey socks for the DBF, my first socks, reversible cable scarf, ribbed hat for the BF, Manos Del Uruguay afghan, and a whole bunch of dishcloths!

Old 06-29-2009, 10:38 AM   #24
GinnyG
Instepping Out

I am sorry if anyone is offended by the discussion here, but I don't see that this thread was started as a "tribute" but simply as a discussion of the deaths.

One of the crazy things about this world is that we become so star struck by fame and yes, talent that we totally ignore the rest of it .

I am on several different forums and it has amazed me to see how angry the MJ fans become when anything negative is mentioned. It's like not talking about it makes it "not so". I am as entitled to discuss my opinions and feelings about the man as the most die hard fan is. We are each entitled to our own thoughts as feelings.

Knitgal, I am so sorry for the death of your mother. Yes, it would seem that the folks who have gone over the edge about the death of a celebrity really don't know what it is to lose a loved one.
Old 06-29-2009, 11:17 AM   #25
kellyh57
Turning the Heel

The one thing that really irks me is leaving stuff at their house or star or wherever. I remember when Princess Diana died there was tons of stuffed animals left. I think that they donated them to an orphanage. Why do people leave stuff for a dead person? I understand placing flowers on their grave and that kind of thing, but going to a celebrity's house and leaving stuff on the fence? Why not donate something to someone who'd really enjoy it? Send flowers to the nursing home or a stuffed animal to a children's hospital? It would certainly be much more appreciated!
Old 06-29-2009, 01:27 PM   #26
LadyFirelyght
Knitting the Flap

Originally Posted by kellyh57 View Post
The one thing that really irks me is leaving stuff at their house or star or wherever. I remember when Princess Diana died there was tons of stuffed animals left. I think that they donated them to an orphanage. Why do people leave stuff for a dead person? I understand placing flowers on their grave and that kind of thing, but going to a celebrity's house and leaving stuff on the fence? Why not donate something to someone who'd really enjoy it? Send flowers to the nursing home or a stuffed animal to a children's hospital? It would certainly be much more appreciated!
Each person mourns in their own way. Who are we to tell them how they should do it?
Old 06-30-2009, 04:14 PM   #27
knittingymnast
Working the Gusset

Originally Posted by Knitting_Guy View Post
I feel bad for Farrah's loved ones. I'm sure she'll be missed.

I can't bring myself to mourn the loss of a child molester though.
I sorta agree. Although, we don't have any evidence that he ever molested anyone. But why would anyone want to put themselves in a position that would make them look guilty?
Old 06-30-2009, 07:03 PM   #28
LadyFirelyght
Knitting the Flap

He was actually pretty transparent about what he did. The whole documentary where he let people come in his house, allowing himself to be strip-searched, etc. kind of shows the opposite of what people learned from the media headlines bastardizations.
Old 06-30-2009, 11:01 PM   #29
NikitaShera
1st Leg of the Journey

For those who though MJ is a wacko. ie Have young boys over his house.

To me when someone says he's a wacko, he's does not fit our general definition of "normal." Its like when we see a guy who bakes?

I believe the saying, do not judge others because we don't their struggles.

Here is one posting i got from a forum.

================================================== ===========================
Do you ppl honestly just not like him because of his old, wierd habits? Do your guys realize what knd of a childhood he had..? He didnt sleep, eat or have anytime for a life. I can understand at his age now going to some teens house and being like do you wanna hang because he never had the chance to becuase of how abused he was in his career. And i can knda understand why he got caught up with that kid that he suposively malestied. His bros were older so they had friends around and they were guy
Old 07-01-2009, 08:27 AM   #30
GinnyG
Instepping Out

Sorry, but I strongly disagree. Allowing young boys to sleep in your bed is a far different brand of "wacko" than a man who bakes.

The bottom line is that those who idolize MJ will not accept the negative and those who believe him to be a perverted freakazoid will not idolize him and never the twain shall meet.