Old 06-29-2009, 01:11 PM   #1
JudiToots
Ribbing the Cuff

Holding Lace Weight or Crochet Thread...Help
I am working on a pattern that called for a linen/cotton/viscose blend yarn (lightweight). I was unable to find anything like this at any of the LYS. However, I did find that I can use Crochet Thread to accomplish the same look as it is the same weight and gauge. So my problem? It is slippery and I cannot get it to stay in my hand! I use my left hand to hold the yarn (continental knitting). The thread/yarn is constantly wanting to fall off the back of my hand especially when purling.

Does anyone have any suggestions on what I can do? I love this Bolero sweater and don't want to give up on it just because of the yarn.

Also, it comes on a cardboard spool. Should I make a ball out of it instead?

"She seeks out wool and flax and works with willing hands [to develop it]." Proverbs 31:13 AMP
"Make it your ambition and definitely endeavor to live quietly and peacefully, to mind your own affairs, and to work with your hands..." 1 Thessalonians 4:11 AMP
JudiToots is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 06-29-2009, 01:37 PM   #2
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,451 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
Thin yarn is tricky and takes some getting used to. You might try a looser tension, and use bamboo needles for more of a 'grip' on the thread. You can leave it the way it comes; balling it up would probably lead to it getting far too tangled up.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 01:56 PM   #3
Jeremy
Mod Squad

I have the same problem with lace weight yarn and I'm a continental knitter too. What I do is wrap the yarn twice around my pinkie finger. Wrapping it twice rather than once provides enough tension.
Old 06-29-2009, 01:56 PM   #4
JudiToots
Ribbing the Cuff

Suzeeq-Thanks for the advice about winding it into a ball. It does have elasticity and tends to curl together if I have too much hanging off the cone. I will look at the cost of the bamboo needles.

Jeremy-I have to wrap it thrice to keep it from working its way down my pinkie. Thanks for the advice.

"She seeks out wool and flax and works with willing hands [to develop it]." Proverbs 31:13 AMP
"Make it your ambition and definitely endeavor to live quietly and peacefully, to mind your own affairs, and to work with your hands..." 1 Thessalonians 4:11 AMP
JudiToots is offline   Reply With Quote