Old 07-12-2009, 11:37 PM   #1
hermiebell
Casting On

Send a message via AIM to hermiebell Send a message via Yahoo to hermiebell
Brands

Please, can anyone suggest a specific brand of yarn to use?? I have been using Lionbrand but there are so many out there I don't know which ones to avoid. Will someone please give me suggestions??
hermiebell is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 07-13-2009, 12:23 AM   #2
Vertigo1414
Knitting the Flap

it really depends on what you're doing. i personally don't like lion brand, i find the yarn just doesn't want to work with me. if you're looking for a nice worsted weight acrylic caron has a soft one that's great for beginner projects. my first finished scarf was made out of it. http://www.caron.com/color_cards/cc_simplysoft.html
another one i haven't used but i've heard good things about is bernat satin http://www.bernat.com/product.php?LGC=satin
hope this helps
Northeast Oddball Baby Blankets
Oddball Pet Snuggles

Vertigo's Knits-My blog
Vertigo1414 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Vertigo1414 For This Useful Post:
hermiebell (07-13-2009), TEMA (07-13-2009)
Old 07-13-2009, 12:48 AM   #3
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,729 Times in 7,102 Posts
That's nearly impossible to do. It depends on what you like to knit, whether you've any allergies, your budget, etc...... I could recommend some and someone else may hate those and tell you to avoid them. It comes down to personal choice as well. The BEST thing to do is knit with what you like. Lion Brand has some good ones, so does Bernat and Caron. Go into a yarn store and take a look around, too.

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jan in CA For This Useful Post:
hermiebell (07-13-2009)
Old 07-13-2009, 01:36 AM   #4
globaltraveler
Turning the Heel

What is it that you want to knit? What kind of gauge does the project call for? What kind of drape do you want to have in the finished article, and how do you want to be able to clean the finished product?

OTN: Eyelet Chemise in Handmaiden Sea Silk (colorway: Midnight). Still. And a purple Donegal Tweed set of fingerless mitts, to try out my new Hiya Hiya interchangeable needles.

Latest FO: A shrug for an Anthropologie swap in beautiful Casbah sock yarn, in Cedar, a dark green semi-solid, my own pattern. Also a quick Noro Silk Garden neckwarmer for my friend Aideen, in a vine lace pattern.

My knitting blog, Another Long Yarn
globaltraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to globaltraveler For This Useful Post:
hermiebell (07-13-2009)
Old 07-13-2009, 07:56 AM   #5
hermiebell
Casting On

Send a message via AIM to hermiebell Send a message via Yahoo to hermiebell
Originally Posted by Jan in CA View Post
That's nearly impossible to do. It depends on what you like to knit, whether you've any allergies, your budget, etc...... I could recommend some and someone else may hate those and tell you to avoid them. It comes down to personal choice as well. The BEST thing to do is knit with what you like. Lion Brand has some good ones, so does Bernat and Caron. Go into a yarn store and take a look around, too.
Thank you. When I was taing lessons I used a brand called Encore but it is a hard brand to find. I happened upon worsted weight with Lion Brand but they are not the easiest brand to find either. I want to make a afghan so I think I will look at the brands of Caron and Bernat as I remember seeing them in a store close to me. Hopefully I will catch on but right now it is almost overwhelming. Thanks :-)
hermiebell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 08:06 AM   #6
Crycket
Working the Gusset

Send a message via Skype™ to Crycket
I have gotten to the point where I prefer knitting with hand spun stuff...which...I guess one can argue still does have a brand...but isn't commercial.

If you can get your hands on it...(and can afford it) I have been enjoying Sirdar...They make a number of nice yarns.

I agree with something already said though...it totally matters what you are knitting, what your budget is, etc...

Caron is nice...Bernat has some nice stuff out...and has good availability, as well as Patons...

Just go out and feel up some yarn...You are bound to find something you like!

Growing old is mandatory, growing UP is optional!
Crycket is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Crycket For This Useful Post:
hermiebell (07-13-2009)
Old 07-13-2009, 12:15 PM   #7
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,729 Times in 7,102 Posts
Encore is often considered a staple yarn in yarn stores I think and is readily available online. I've used it for a lot of things and it is a nice yarn and washable.

I'm surprised you're having trouble with Lion Brand. Our Joanns and Michaels are full of it!

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jan in CA For This Useful Post:
hermiebell (07-13-2009)
Old 07-13-2009, 12:21 PM   #8
motherpink
1st Leg of the Journey

I always use King Cole yarns because it knits up brilliantly and washes very well too and it stays in shape with so- many washes
motherpink is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to motherpink For This Useful Post:
hermiebell (07-13-2009)
Old 07-13-2009, 12:55 PM   #9
globaltraveler
Turning the Heel

An afghan...so you want something really soft on the skin, sturdy to stand up to use and machine washing, right? And what's your budget?

The thing is, it's pretty easy to winnow down your choices if you know the answers to all those questions.

1) What gauge do you want? Let's say you've decided on worsted.

2) What color of worsted? Narrow it down to the brand(s) that have the color you want.

3) Which of the properly colored worsteds feels the nicest to your skin,will wear well, and will wash up properly?

4) Which of those worsteds fits your budget?

By now, you'll probably have gotten it down to at least 3 or less choices, and it's pretty easy to choose between two or three, right?

Mind you, if you go out on the Web to look, it may take a bit longer, as more will match your requirements, but it's essentially the same thing. If your choices feel overwhelming, start getting pickier and fussier about your colors and fibers, and that'll start limiting your options even more.

Most importantly, have fun! Picking out your yarns is supposed to be part of the most fun bits of knitting. How you make these choices is part of what makes the project really yours and like no other knitter's!

OTN: Eyelet Chemise in Handmaiden Sea Silk (colorway: Midnight). Still. And a purple Donegal Tweed set of fingerless mitts, to try out my new Hiya Hiya interchangeable needles.

Latest FO: A shrug for an Anthropologie swap in beautiful Casbah sock yarn, in Cedar, a dark green semi-solid, my own pattern. Also a quick Noro Silk Garden neckwarmer for my friend Aideen, in a vine lace pattern.

My knitting blog, Another Long Yarn
globaltraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to globaltraveler For This Useful Post:
hermiebell (07-13-2009)
Old 07-13-2009, 03:02 PM   #10
Chrysee
Ribbing the Cuff

I go to craft stores and just touch a bunch of yarn til I find something I like. I don't buy acrylic or acrylic mixes, so that rules out a bunch. I like most Patons, some Bernat.. brands don't really matter that much. When I manage to get to my LYS, there are soooo many brands that I don't really remember any of them afterward. I bought some nice Cascade, I think?

Pick a project and then go see what you like that would work for it.
The Following User Says Thank You to Chrysee For This Useful Post:
hermiebell (07-13-2009)