Old 07-13-2009, 06:06 PM   #11
Lisa R.
Turning the Heel

If you're looking for inexpensive, but decent quality yarns, try Knitpicks. If you don't have something specific in mind to knit already, they have some sampler packs so you can try their various yarns in a small project.

There are a number of popular inexpensive brands available at places like JoAnn or Michael's or Hobby Lobby, and that sort of place...those can be a great place to start, especially if you're on a budget. Then you might try finding a local yarn store to go through and fondle a wide variety of yarns, usually of the more expensive and higher quality kind. I found it helpful to check out the yarn by feeling it and reading the labels to check gauge and such when I was just beginning.

I also bought up a bunch of yarn on sale that, after a time, I realized I wasn't going to be likely to use up because my tastes changed over the year or two before I got around to using it!

To keep from being overwhelmed, I'd choose a pattern or two,and buy some appropriate yarn for the project you have in mind. That will give you an idea how certain yarns feel and how they knit up. Then, after you finish those projects, go on and try something different.

Hope that helps. Jan is totally right about everyone liking different things. I heard so much about Noro, that I was thrilled about taking a class for a project that called for it---but honestly, I hated it, and will probably never buy it again...so you just can never tell!

I'm Knittermom9 on Ravelry
Lisa R. is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 07-13-2009, 06:13 PM   #12
imrachel
Knitting the Flap

There is a little known yarn mill which I have been more and more impressed with. They have a great non-wool sock yarn (Saucon), a lace yarn with sterling silver spun through it, some basic worsted wool in terrific colors, and a new yarn called Perfection which is soooo soft-- 70% acrylic and 30% merlino. So washable! And beautiful colors.

Also, I really like Crystal Palace Yarns.
imrachel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 07:18 PM   #13
ArtLady1981
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,893 Times in 3,014 Posts
I think a nice brand is CASCADE 220 wool, or CASCADE 220 SUPERWASH wool. It's a great yarn that can always be counted on to deliver a fine knit! The 220 has to be hand washed, the SUPERWASH is obviously machine washable by it's name!

A nice acrylic-wool washable yarn is Plymouth ENCORE yarn.
It delivers a quality knitted item and is reasonably priced.

Always buy the BEST yarn your budget will allow.
That's my 2 cents!

I agree with others that Caron's yarn is also wonderful!

Artlady at Rav
ArtLady1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 08:27 PM   #14
Leania
Casting On

I like Caron or Bernat because they're easy to find and are soft...and for the most part not too pricey. Before I found them it was Red Heart. I thought it was fine until I felt the difference; now I can't stand my Red Heart but I'm using it for my blanket and I refuse to rip it all back out for the hundrenth time. Red Heart is good, but itchy acrylic.
Leania is offline   Reply With Quote