Old 07-13-2009, 07:29 AM   #1
knitcindy
Turning the Heel

Anyone know of a good 'learning' project??
I've been teaching a knitting class at my church. We meet every Wednesday night for the whole summer.

Does anyone have any ideas for a good project that would incorporate knitting, purling, increase, and decrease??? All the projects I've seen in books look too 'teenager-y'. I'm hoping to find something a little more interesting than a dishcloth.

What do you think??? Any ideas?
knitcindy
knitcindy is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 07-13-2009, 08:11 AM   #2
mathwizard
Turning the Heel

project
How about a placemat of your design which would incorporate what you want. I did some squares for a shelter in my area to be made into afghans. I went to one of my pattern books and played with some different stitches. I discovered I like cables, a diagonal stitch and more. I was confined to a nine inch square but had so much fun trying new stitch patterns with all the elements you asked about.
Past Portfolio reviewer for Crochet Guild of America
mathwizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 02:45 PM   #3
melmac51
Turning the Heel

What about a scarf? They'll have something to keep them warm when fall/winter comes.
Old 07-13-2009, 02:56 PM   #4
HollyP
Working the Gusset

I am a big proponent of knitting a small project when learning to knit.The problem with scarves are they take so long to finish. I think a dishcloth or squares to be sewn together into a blanket is a great start. There are tons of free dishcloth patterns online. Most don't have decreases but have casting on, knit, purl, and binding off. That seems to me like more than enough for a new knitter to learn at first. I honestly don't think I would have kept up with knitting if I started with a scarf.

Southeast Baby Oddball Blog
HollyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 03:05 PM   #5
Chrysee
Ribbing the Cuff

I second the afghan suggestion. Or dishcloths. Pretty similar really, the afghan would just be a bunch of dishcloths sewn together (well, different yarn). You can practice a stitch or pattern on a quick little square and be done before you get too bored. I learned how to do most things by making a dishcloth using the technique/pattern/stitch first.
Old 07-13-2009, 05:55 PM   #6
luvmykid28
Turning the Heel

Some of my friends just learned to knit. Once they learned knit & purl they made hats that were knit flat and seamed up. This was good, cause they used the knit, purl, decreasing and seaming. They also had a finished piece quickly. IMO, a scarf are great but they take a while to compleate and dishclothes are great, too, but they don't fit what you asked in your question. Good luck what ever you decide.

I have three passions:
1. My husband
2. My daughter
3. Knitting
Everything else can wait.
luvmykid28 is offline   Reply With Quote