Old 07-13-2009, 06:28 PM   #1
Avendesora
Casting On

Rookie Continental-Style Knitter - YFWD Question
I'm practicing making the swatch of the Bernat Baby Coordinates Knit Afghan, which is a ripple.

I knit Continental/European style, because I came from being an advanced crocheter, and CANNOT wrap my head around holding the yarn in the right hand!

So, the pattern says to K4, yfwd, K3. I am stuck at the K4 yfwd. ...... now what? I can't see how to make a knit stitch with the yarn on the front O_o.

Can someone help me? Maybe a video you can point me to? The only video I could find went from yfwd to a slip stich, which is pretty easy.... >.>

(Oh, btw, I'm new to the forum, too! So, HI!)
Avendesora is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 07-13-2009, 06:40 PM   #2
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,798 Times in 7,158 Posts
It sounds like you're making an eyelet or YO (yarn over). Some patterns will tell you YO, but it's the same thing.

The videos are all at the tab at the top of the page. It's on the increase page because it is also an increase. Here is a direct link.
http://www.knittinghelp.com/apps/fla...yer/play/100/1

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jan in CA For This Useful Post:
Avendesora (07-14-2009), OffJumpsJack (07-14-2009)
Old 07-13-2009, 06:46 PM   #3
Arielluria
Instepping Out

WELCOME!!!!!!!!

I'm wondering if it's not a typo. I looked it up at http://www.bernat.com/data/pattern/p...ghan.en_US.pdf

row 1: K4. *yfwd. K3. Sl1K.

Perhaps it should be k4. *yfwd, Sl1K, K3

Because I knit continental myself, and I tried the way it's written, I don't see any way of doing a yfwd, k3.
A righteous man has regard for the life of his animal (Proverbs 12:10)
Adopt a pet PETFINDER.COM

Free patternns on My blog or on Ravelry:
Arielluria is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Arielluria For This Useful Post:
Avendesora (07-14-2009)
Old 07-13-2009, 07:00 PM   #4
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,798 Times in 7,158 Posts
Lu, check the link I shared. It shows how to do it. There are several patterns for chevrons and some do have a yarn over.

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 07:24 PM   #5
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,451 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
When you make the next stitch with the yarn in front, it automatically goes to the back and makes the YO. You can just wrap the yarn - bring to the front, then to the back and work the next st, but it's the same thing.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to suzeeq For This Useful Post:
OffJumpsJack (07-14-2009)
Old 07-14-2009, 07:16 AM   #6
Avendesora
Casting On

Thanks!
Thanks for the replies! That is the Bernat pattern with the green blanket I had my mom come over to show me what it should look like (but she knits the other way). What I ended up doing, because she could at least tell me that I needed to make an increase with the YO, was to do an M1 in the ladder between stitches. In the swatch, it seems to be working up ok like that, and it is pretty easy, considering I'm going to have to do that a zillion times

Thanks again, ladies! I'm happy I found this forum!
Avendesora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 08:23 AM   #7
OffJumpsJack
Working the Gusset

The M1 will not be [Exactly] the Same as a YO, Follow Jan's Link to the Video.
Originally Posted by Avendesora View Post
I'm practicing making the swatch of the Bernat Baby Coordinates Knit Afghan, which is a ripple.

I knit Continental/European style, because I came from being an advanced crocheter, and CANNOT wrap my head around holding the yarn in the right hand!

So, the pattern says to K4, yfwd, K3. I am stuck at the K4 yfwd. ...... now what? I can't see how to make a knit stitch with the yarn on the front O_o.

Can someone help me? Maybe a video you can point me to? The only video I could find went from yfwd to a slip stich, which is pretty easy.... >.>

(Oh, btw, I'm new to the forum, too! So, HI!)
Originally Posted by Jan in CA View Post
It sounds like you're making an eyelet or YO (yarn over). Some patterns will tell you YO, but it's the same thing.

The videos are all at the tab at the top of the page. It's on the increase page because it is also an increase. Here is a direct link.
http://www.knittinghelp.com/apps/fla...yer/play/100/1

Welcome to the forum! I am also an advanced crocheter that recently learned to knit.

Well, the M1 increase is functionally equivalent to a YO (that should have been done) between the same stitches in the previous row, but since the row is complete on either side (yarn is tighter) the M1 make a smaller hole than a YO would. It also means your increase is one row earlier and on the opposite side of your work when compared to using YO in the current row. These are probably minor details.

To do the YO, hold your left needle between your thumb and ring finger then use your middle finger to push the yarn forward (as if to purl) but dip your right needle down over the yarn in front of your work then pull the yarn over the right-hand needle and to the back to work the next k3.

Very much like the video Jan linked to but followed by a k instead of the p that Amy does in the video.

I consider continental (German/European) style to be a more equal division of labor between one's two hands when knitting (or purling.)

I just had a silly thought about a "left-hand" liberation movement having protest marches and "glove" burnings.

as Off-Jumps-Jack

OTN another Black & gold Diagonal Square Potholder
OTH Baby blanket
OTH Lace doily - A vintage pattern recreating from an heirloom.

Last edited by OffJumpsJack : 07-14-2009 at 09:54 AM. Reason: Add things I forgot...
OffJumpsJack is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to OffJumpsJack For This Useful Post:
auntcrafty (08-02-2009), Avendesora (07-14-2009)
Old 07-14-2009, 09:23 AM   #8
suzeeq
Knit On!

It won't be as open because the m1 is a smaller hole, but if that's how you want to do it.

Artlady, it's no typo, after you k3, the next instruction is "Sl1K. K2tog. psso." a decrease. And it's not physically impossible, even for continental knitters. You K 4 for the edge, then yo, k3, sk2p, k3, yo, k1 and repeat from the yo to make the chevron/ripple pattern. Bernat is a canadian company and uses british terms in their pattern.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to suzeeq For This Useful Post:
Avendesora (07-14-2009), OffJumpsJack (07-14-2009)
Old 07-14-2009, 09:50 AM   #9
OffJumpsJack
Working the Gusset

Originally Posted by suzeeq View Post
It won't be as open because the m1 is a smaller hole, but if that's how you want to do it.

Artlady, it's no typo, after you k3, the next instruction is "Sl1K. K2tog. psso." a decrease. And it's not physically impossible, even for continental knitters. You K 4 for the edge, then yo, k3, sk2p, k3, yo, k1 and repeat from the yo to make the chevron/ripple pattern. Bernat is a canadian company and uses british terms in their pattern.

Ah, yes, the other two peoples separated by a "common" language.

Thanks, Sue.

I would guess that I was editing in my elaborations when you posted, because I thought I had said the same thing about an M1 hole being smaller than a YO.

Well, you said it better (and with fewer words).

as Off-Jumps-Jack

OTN another Black & gold Diagonal Square Potholder
OTH Baby blanket
OTH Lace doily - A vintage pattern recreating from an heirloom.
OffJumpsJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 10:06 AM   #10
suzeeq
Knit On!

No I read your comment, just wanted to reiterate that using another inc in place of the yo would make the pattern less lacey.

The Following User Says Thank You to suzeeq For This Useful Post:
OffJumpsJack (07-14-2009)