Old 07-14-2009, 05:26 PM   #11
imrachel
Knitting the Flap

I just got off the phone with a friend of mine who owns an LYS and told her about the ABC News story and this thread. She sounded shocked and said that whenever she sees someone walking around and knitting in her shop, she asks them to stop and have a seat. She said that at one of the Stitches conventions a few years ago, an announcement came over the loud speakers asking anyone knitting as they walked around from booth to booth, to please stop for everyoneís safety.
I guess there are people who participate on this site who will not be seated when knitting. I guess you may be the same people who donít wear seatbelts on occasion because the odds are that you will not be in an accident in which they will prove beneficial. I guess you may also allow your child to walk around and knit. As Iíve said before, if you want to do this when you are completely on your own, there is no one within 100 feet of you, then fine. But you have sharp objects in your hands. This is not about a difference of opinion. Sharp objects can injure. Fact. I really hope that all of you who insist that this is an acceptable practice never have to find out consequences.
And please donít do it near me. Thank you.
imrachel is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 07-15-2009, 02:48 AM   #12
Debkcs
Instepping Out

Thanked 1,281 Times in 1,192 Posts
I worked in ED's for years (interspersed with everything else) and never saw anyone with a knitting needle anywhere in their torso. We did have one gentleman who died like Dollyce's friend, right in front of his grandkids. This one was right outside Seattle also.

Wish I was good enough at knitting to be able to walk and knit, but still wouldn't do it, too safety conscious.

"All good things and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of Lights who cannot change."
James 1:17
Debkcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 10:06 AM   #13
Craw
Knitting the Flap

Originally Posted by imrachel View Post
I guess you may be the same people who donít wear seatbelts on occasion because the odds are that you will not be in an accident in which they will prove beneficial. I guess you may also allow your child to walk around and knit.
When you can't stick to a topic and instead grope for insults, you cheapen the discussion and weaken your point.

My child is autistic and will never be able to knit. Thank you.
Craw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 02:06 PM   #14
melmac51
Turning the Heel

Amazing article! You never know when a freak accident will save your life.

Dollyce, my heart goes out to your friend.
Old 07-15-2009, 10:05 PM   #15
imrachel
Knitting the Flap

Craw, I'm very sorry that your child is autistic. I'm sure every day is a challenge for you and him or her. However, I don't understand what that has to do with walking and knitting. My comment about children is very much on topic and not about insulting anyone. My point is that if you wouldn't let your child, autistic or not, walk around with knitting needles-- and I pray no one would ever do that-- then no adult should either. It was completely on topic, as was my comment about seatbelts. There are statements on this thread about accidents with knitting needles being freak incidents, people have done it a lot with no problems. I'm sure there are people who never wear seatbelts and have never been in a serious accident. That should never be a promotion for not wearing seatbelts. There was also a comment implying that the desire to walk around while knitting is a matter of a different point of view, opinion if you will. Knitting needles are sharp and dangerous if you're moving around while using them. You shouldn't be knitting and walking around, just as you shouldn't be cutting paper and walking around.
As I have said, if you are completely on your own, that's your business. But one person here said she knitted while browsing in a gift shop; now you're involving other people's safety, perhaps mine. If I were ever in a public situation, say that gift shop, and saw someone knitting, I would ask the manager to ask that person to stop and put their needles away. If the only way you can possibly relax, or it somehow is sanity-saving for you, is to knit and walk simultaneously, then I guess go out in a field where no one else will possible cross your path and go for it. But other than that, this is a very, very bad idea.

This site is about helping each other with their knitting. I would include that to mean helping each other be safe. Anyone who encourages another knitter to walk and knit is akin to posting on a cooking site that you don't bother watching what you're doing while cutting with a sharp knife, and suggesting that others do likewise. Yes, the chances are great that we will never be injured by knitting needles. But these things do happen, and why in the name of all that is holy would we ever take an unnecessary chance with something like this?
imrachel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 11:33 PM   #16
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,739 Times in 7,111 Posts
Everyone has a different opinion on just about any topic you can think of. We need to be mindful of that and not assume that because someone doesn't share our beliefs that they are wrong. Let's be careful not to point fingers and be understanding.

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 12:18 AM   #17
saracidaltendencies
Working the Gusset

Thanked 1,089 Times in 608 Posts
Wow, harsh and presumptuous words about the walking knitters not wearing seatbelts and allowing their kids to walk and knit, ie: irresponsible.

The fact of the matter is life is dangerous. Just about everything you do could result in some freak accident...And, the lady in this article wasn't even knitting while she was walking, her needles were in her bag.

To put in perspective, washing, drying, and putting away kitchen knives could be dangerous, a child in a classroom carrying his or her freshly sharpened pencil back to their seat could be dangerous, crossing a street could be dangerous, flying, driving, taking a train, eating, drinking, catching a cold, etc. is potentially dangerous.

The solution is common sense; using common sense to take the necessary precautions to lessen the chance of your actions/activities harming you or anyone else.

Any one of us could pick up our knitting needles, begin to walk over to the couch to sit down to knit but end up tripping and falling, being stabbed by our needles.

The solution is common sense. Use point protectors and never have the tip of the needle pointed towards you while holding them and moving.

I mean this argument could go so far...Knitting while a passenger in a car could be dangerous as well. Say you have a bit of a fender bender...Maybe the accident didn't cause much damage, but let's say, for some freak reason, the accident was enough to cause you to stab yourself with your knitting needles.

Life is a risk, plain and simple. It's all about using common sense and taking the necessary precautions to decrease the likelihood of your actions causing harm to yourself or others.

"You must be the change you wish to see in the world."
- Mahatma Gandhi
saracidaltendencies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 09:22 AM   #18
cacunn
Instepping Out

Thanked 1,103 Times in 826 Posts
Originally Posted by Demonica View Post
Wow, harsh and presumptuous words about the walking knitters not wearing seatbelts and allowing their kids to walk and knit, ie: irresponsible.
As I read and reread the original post it appeared to me the writer was using overstatement trying to make a point. I took that point to be that some people are not considerate of others. Some are not considerate because they knit in public and could injure others with the needles, others are not considerate because they talk loudly on cell phone in public place and disturb others, others are not considerate because they talk on cell phones while driving and this list could go on and on and on.

This is a public forum with many different people from different countries and different regions in the same country. How we use words are different. Let's not be presumptuous and assume that what we just read was what was meant by the writer. If you find some thing that you find harsh or take offense to stop a second and then reread the entire post. Did the writer overstate something to try to add emphasis? Do we know where the writer is from and do the words have the same meaning in their region as they do in ours?

Please read every post through the eyes of love and assume that they were written in a loving way. In addition be careful out there.

cacunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 09:58 PM   #19
Mike
Working the Gusset

I mean this argument could go so far...Knitting while a passenger in a car could be dangerous as well. Say you have a bit of a fender bender...Maybe the accident didn't cause much damage, but let's say, for some freak reason, the accident was enough to cause you to stab yourself with your knitting needles.
Knitting in a modern car would very likely be bad in a minor accident because if the airbag doesn't ram the needles through you it will ram them through itself puncturing itself and spraying everything with sodium azide.
Search it and read all about it.

But I agree. The original article wasn't about knitting while walking, it was about carrying needles in a bag, something I bet imrachel does all the time without care to her safety or the safety of those around her.

Babies wrapped in acrylic bursting into flames. Knitting needles poking people 100 yards away. I'm amazed people even continue this outdated dangerous hobby.
"I want the original Knit Picks Options 200 stitch cable model knitting needles with cable stops in the case and this thing that tells time."
"You'll poke your eye out, kid."

YouTube channel
Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 12:06 AM   #20
Crycket
Working the Gusset

Send a message via Skype™ to Crycket

The solution is common sense; using common sense to take the necessary precautions to lessen the chance of your actions/activities harming you or anyone else.
I was once talking to an ambulance worker who was telling me about how frustraiting his job could be...

I said to him "yeah...you must see some strange things, most accidents are preventable"

He said "ALL accidents are preventable"

This convo happened a long time ago (couple years now) and I am not sure how we got talking about it...and I am sure, as I was working at the time, it didn't go much further...but I would have loved to have continued it.

Some might argue it, but when thought about...A lot (if not all) accidents are preventable...but to what end I guess...there has to be room for human error...

Growing old is mandatory, growing UP is optional!
Crycket is offline   Reply With Quote