Old 07-14-2009, 04:28 PM   #1
tigersagg
1st Leg of the Journey

I'm not getting these sleeves. Help?
I'm knitting this pattern.

For Ravelry users, it's here: http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/libr...ine-9-pullover

For others, it's here, but I think you have to register to see it: http://www.freepatterns.com/list.htm...engine&x=0&y=0

It's the engine #9 pullover.

I'm working on the sleeves and the pattern just doesn't make sense to me.

I just started them so maybe it will once I get along, but just in case it still doesn't, I don't want to get stuck!

The part I don't get is in shaping the underarm and raglan top.

The pattern says to "work raglan shaping as for back until 12 (14) (16) (16) (16) stitches remain."

This I don't understand.

1) How do I know which edge should be the right raglan pattern and which is the left raglan pattern?
Sleeves don't really have lefts and rights...do they?

2) If there are only 16 stitches remaining at the top of the sleeve, how on earth am I supposed to seam it around the sleeve hole and how is the child going to fit his arm in there?

Am I reading it all wrong? Can anyone explain it to me?

Thanks so much!
tigersagg is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 07-14-2009, 05:34 PM   #2
MerigoldinWA
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 1,834 Times in 1,737 Posts
I tried to go to the pattern via the Ravelry route, but you still have to join to see the pattern.

I'm not sure about the first question. Is there a cable along the sleeve edge and is it different on one side than the other- right sleeve, left sleeve? If so, although normally sleeves don't have a right and left this one might and the right one will be the one you follow right directions for and left the left instructions. Maybe they want the cables to twist a certain way that is suppose to look better. If that is it just mark one right and one left after you make them so you can put them on the right sides.

Second question. Raglan sweaters are different than regular set in sleeves. On raglan sleeves the sleeve goes all the way up to the neck hole and then the sides of the sleeve are joined to the sides of the front and back which are shaped the same way and it all works out for a neck opening. Getting arms in is no problem. Maybe do a search for the definition of a raglan shaping so you can see what they are talking about. Trust the pattern. It's right.
Old 07-14-2009, 06:37 PM   #3
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,451 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
When you dec until 16 sts, that takes you up to the neckline, because raglan decs slant from the underarm to the neck; there is no armhole. So on a sleeve, it will fit the shoulder and the rest of the upper body is on the back and front pieces.Look at the drawing for the front and back, and see how they slant. Don't worry, it will make sense as you knit it.

Usually the sleeves will be shaped the same, no right or left sleeve. Just follow the back shaping instructions on the sleeves, working the left cable pattern at the beg of the row and the right one at the end of the row. It's to make the twists of the cable match and has nothing to do with right or left side of the body.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote