Old 07-16-2009, 05:47 PM   #1
AH1OZ
Knitting the Flap

dishcloths
i am looking to design different dishcloths (putting them together to make a blanket)

what is the best way to make the designs for them? I know the size of the square i have to work with, and am just changing the stitch to create the design...

I have just been playing around with a chart of Word (filling in different blocks) to create them thus far...

is there a better way?

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 07-16-2009, 06:09 PM   #2
ArtLady1981
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,893 Times in 3,014 Posts
Hi Amy!

There is no easy way to design 'same size' blocks using different patterns inside the block. Most designs knit to a different 'gauge'. Therefore, even if you cast on the same number of stitches for each different block, each block can turn out to be a different size due to 'gauge'.

There are some dishcloth leaflets (for sale at places like Joann's) that have maybe a dozen dishcloth patterns that will usually come out the same size if you use the same yarn and needle.

That's what I would do for a blanket. If the leaflet has a dozen dishcloth patterns that state they come out the same size, just knit about 3 or 4 of each, and then stitch them together in random sequencing so the same dishcloth isn't next to her twin!

That said, I speak from experience. Several years ago, I made each of my granddaughters blocks blankets/patchwork quilts, using pattern stitches I found in a KNITTING DICTIONARY. What a headache getting them to conform to the same size! Well, they didn't...as hard as I tried. It ended up being as much work for blocking and seaming as the knitting itself. Oy!

Even though I spent hours blocking them to the 'same size'...the blanket was still kinda catty-wampus!

Artlady at Rav
ArtLady1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 07:14 PM   #3
nemaent
Ribbing the Cuff

What a beautiful blanket, ArtLady. I'm sure it will be cherished for generations to come.

Would it work to make a square (patch, whatever...) and then add a border to each piece to make them all a more uniform size? The borders might be of different thicknesses though.
nemaent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 11:25 PM   #4
ArtLady1981
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,893 Times in 3,014 Posts
Oh yes, you could certainly do that! Add a crocheted border to bring the square to the right size if it's too small!

I knit two other patchwork quilts for two other granddaughters about 5-6 years ago...and they had black crocheted borders around each square!

This time I just did it differently!

Ya know, you could cast on for 4 or 5 squares on one needle, changing yarn at the beginning of each of the 'next squares' across the row.

Then you'd finally end up with a 'strip' that is all connected.
Then you'd pick up stitches for the next 'strip' on top of 'strip #1...and knit it the same way.

In the end, you'd have no seaming to do.

When changing the yarn across the row, you'd have to wrap the new yarn and old yarn around each other to prevent a hole, like recommended for intarsia color knitting. It's easy.
Just remember that it's like the locking elbows in square dancing! The two yarns must lock arms/elbows to stay connected!

Artlady at Rav
ArtLady1981 is offline   Reply With Quote