Old 07-18-2009, 04:21 PM   #1
blessedtosew
1st Leg of the Journey

opinions needed on starting over
I have been working on St. James sweater for the past month. I am not that slow of a knitter--I just have limited time, and I also sew which takes up some time. (It's getting to where all I want to do is knit, but I hate to completely abandon sewing). I have been knitting about 6 months and have knitted some easy baby booties, and two hats. I was dying to make a sweater, so I chose St. James because the instructions were so clear, and also I wanted to learn to pick up stitches which is done on the neck. Well, I have been moving along nicely --a few mistakes but none too terrible. Yesterday I made it through the bottom band and was binding off in purl. I had never done that before, but it was okay. Unfortunately, I dropped a stitch and in trying to pick it up I dropped a few more. I basically just lost control of the knitting. I decided to frog a little bit and then decided to just frog the entire band. When I got my stitches back on my needles, the loops were all splitty and looked terrible. I am using Caron Simply Soft --does it not frog well? Anyway, I have knit a couple of rows and they just don't look that good because of the splitty yarn. I have the band, sleeves and neckline left. I am thinking about just quitting and starting over. I was planning on knitting the sweater again anyway. Anytime I learn something new and start a major project, I always do it twice (the recovering --ahem--perfectionist in me). Do you think that would be terrible to not finish this and just start it again with new yarn? Have any of you ever done that? I am just in a dilemma over what to do. Thanks.
blessedtosew is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 07-18-2009, 04:34 PM   #2
Craw
Knitting the Flap

Caron Simply Soft is notoriously splitty. Hmmmm ... couldn't you just frog back to where it started getting splitty, cut the frogged yarn, and begin from there with new yarn? I don't know about you but I'd hate to see all that work go down the drain unless it was absolutely necessary. Good luck with whatever you do!
Craw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 04:57 PM   #3
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,451 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
I'd finish it up, then machine wash and dry the sweater, that'll even out just about anything. I've used SS for lots of things and and ripped and reknit and they come out looking fine after the wash/dry routine.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 05:03 PM   #4
mathwizard
Turning the Heel

frogging
I am sorry to hear you are having trouble with Caron Simply Soft yarn. I have made hats, scarves and am working on a kimono and never had a problem with splitting. I have made small items like pot holders, dish cloths and no problems. I like how soft it is.
>> I would frogg back to where the splitting occurred and go on from there. The perfectionist in me would never not finish and my sons call me the frogging queen because I like things perfect! Do what you feel is best. How can you recover from being a perfectionist? I haven't been able to in years and it is way too many to count!
Past Portfolio reviewer for Crochet Guild of America
mathwizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 04:49 AM   #5
ArtLady1981
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,893 Times in 3,014 Posts
I totally agree with Craw and suzeeq. Don't abandon this project. It is well worth saving.

Good tip, Sue. Since the SS is machine washable, I agree that the few wierded out stitches will shape up!

I'd prolly do what Craw suggested if it was me. I'd remove the thrashed section of yarn, and tie in the fresh end...and move on down the line!

I've worked with all sorts of splitty yarns...seems like I am attracted to single ply yarns, which are notoriously splitty. Ack!

Finish this sweater, and wear it for casual at the grocery, or at the movies.

Then knit a new one with your 'experience' and you will have a perfect one! I am just like you. I really insist on perfection. But there are adjustments to be made along the road!

Artlady at Rav
ArtLady1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 04:52 AM   #6
Allison_Knitwit
Casting On

Oh no! I'm so sorry to hear that things got a little crazy, it's always so frustrating to watch your knitting take a turn for the worst; it's like watching your child scrap their knee! :( In this case though, I think I would keep with it, try my best to fix it and even if it wasn't in the best, I'd bind it off and hide it in the back of my closet. Even though I'm 1/16th packrat, I just think it's so nice to look back on an old project and realize how much you've grown as a knitter. It's gratifying in a way. I found a purse I made when I first starting knitting the other day (not my finest piece, I assure you), it was a nice giggle to look back on all of the things I did wrong.

I hope everything works out for you!!
Allison_Knitwit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 09:12 AM   #7
blessedtosew
1st Leg of the Journey

Thanks everyone. I slept on it last night and I am going to continue. I used to be awful at leaving UFO's, but I have been reforming myself in the past few years. I am going to finish this.
blessedtosew is offline   Reply With Quote