Old 05-25-2009, 11:10 AM   #1
Gardener
Casting On

gauge
Does anyone else have as much trouble as I do with gauge? I'm right now trying to get 22 sts for 4". I've used 4 through 8 needles and my gauge doesn't seem to change much. This happens to me often. I have real trouble getting gauge and sometimes have to compensate for it. I know I shouldn't do that. Any help would be more than welcome.
Gardener is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 05-25-2009, 11:15 AM   #2
Ingrid
Mod Squad

Thanked 2,241 Times in 1,838 Posts
It's OK to compensate, but it is a concern that you're compensating enough. It's awful to finish a 'compensated' project and it doesn't turn out right. Don't ask me how I know. . .

All I can suggest is that you make sure you're using the right weight yarn for the project, and make your swatch more than 4 inches wide so you can measure actual stitches rather than measuring the width of the swatch. This way the edge stitches don't throw your count off.

Another thing is not to worry about row gauge as much as stitch gauge. It's easy to make something longer or shorter, but not wider or narrower.

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.

Hop aboard while we follow the cloud-covered van of knitting harmony, man!! Woooo!! --Hedgehog

IngridKH on Ravelry
Ingrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 12:55 PM   #3
Gardener
Casting On

Thanks, Ingrid. I've already tried all the things you mentioned and I'm still having trouble. One thing that I think might be happening is that I knit the swatch in a different tension than when I actually start knitting the garment? I wonder why this would be and if there is a way to correct it. I love knitting but I'm beginning to dread starting something new because I know I have to deal with the gauge issue. Thanks for your help.
Gardener
Old 05-25-2009, 01:34 PM   #4
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,451 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
Quote:
One thing that I think might be happening is that I knit the swatch in a different tension than when I actually start knitting the garment?
This sometimes happens. Usually we're really tense when knitting the swatch, trying for gauge, then relax and loosen up when knitting the project. If you're working on a sweater, cast on for a sleeve and check your gauge after several inches. If it's okay, go ahead, if it's off, change the needle size, but keep knitting on the sleeve and note to change the needle for the rest of the sweater. Don't worry about the difference just on that sleeve, it should come out looking okay when you're done.

You can also knit on something else for a while before you start your gauge swatch, that might help you be more relaxed. And you can block your swatch to see if the yarn changes after and how it will look in the finished item.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to suzeeq For This Useful Post:
thecatsmother (07-21-2009)
Old 05-25-2009, 02:16 PM   #5
Gardener
Casting On

Thanks Suzeeq. I'll try that but I'm about ready to give up on this pattern. I wonder if maybe the instructions are written wrong. I'm using the yarn weight they call for and just finished a different sweater with the same yarn. One says there are 20 sts to 4 inches and this pattern says there are 22 sts to 4 inches. I guess it's time to take a break for a while. My frustration level is pretty high right now!
Old 05-25-2009, 02:35 PM   #6
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,451 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
Go by the gauge given in the pattern; the gauge listed for the yarn is more to classify it into a weight range (sport, dk, worsted, bulky) than to indicate what you should knit it to. And maybe it's the pattern stitch or the needle size used that is different in the 2 patterns.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 08:15 AM   #7
Gardener
Casting On

Thanks again, Suzeeq! I'm going to try knitting the sleeve. That sounds like a great idea. If it doesn't work, I'll ditch this particular pattern!
Gardener
Old 07-21-2009, 10:05 AM   #8
ninabambam
Ribbing the Cuff

Send a message via AIM to ninabambam
Gauge
I have the same exact problem and I think it is because of my purl stitch. My purl stitch is loose. I am an English knitter vs. Continental. I have try to knit Continental and I just can't do it. I have now tried reverse knitting and I have to say I meet a better gauge. Reverse knitting can be confusing but you catch on.

Good luck.
ninabambam is offline   Reply With Quote