Old 07-25-2009, 01:32 AM   #11
luvmykid28
Turning the Heel

Originally Posted by Arielluria View Post
I shared about my being undaunted by learning Hebrew. What things have you lept right into and found a wonderful learning experience about yourself?
Yes, knitters can make anything as long as they try. Also, I find that knitters are very interesting people. They seem to make things happen. Nothing stands in their way.

Here is my "wonderful" learning experience...........When I was about 24 I was working at Neiman Marcus in the Epicure (Food) department and going to school full time. I had an opportunity to take a backpacking trip thru the Smokey Mountains of Tennessee and North Carolina. By taking this trip we would earn class credits in geology, world lit and physical education. To prepare for the trip we had to meet once a week for 4 weeks. Well, I went to the prep classes all dressed up in my Neiman Marcus work clothes. The world lit instructor thought I was going to be a primadonna on the hiking trip(he told me this at the end of the trip). We (28 of us) drove from Texas to Tennessee camping along the way. We started at the beginning of the Appalachian Trail and hiked 21 days. We carried everything we were going to us. We didn't hike and camp where there were showers or anything. We weren't even allowed to bring soap. I mean major primitive. We relied on ourselves only. We worked as a team hiking as many as 8 miles a day. I never complained to my instructors about the exhaustion, pain in my ankles, the freezing weather, the fact that I ran out of sanitary napkins, the lack of coffee, cold & hot water or anything else we didn't have. Let me tell you, I learned that trip that I could do ANYTHING I put my mind to. When I got home, I found a better job in management and had a new outlook on life. I will always remember that.

Funny thing is that if I ever had to do that again, I could knit myself a hat (cause I didn't have one) and wool socks.

I have three passions:
1. My husband
2. My daughter
3. Knitting
Everything else can wait.
luvmykid28 is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 07-25-2009, 10:34 AM   #12
Knitting_Guy
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 1,130 Times in 832 Posts
I couldn't agree more. Diving in and trying is the best way to learn. I've learned far more from my mistakes than anything. What's the worst that can happen? Ya frog and try again.

What do you mean guys don't knit?

Linux: because a PC is a terrible thing to waste.

Perfection is overrated. Knitting is meant to relieve stress, not cause it. Relax and enjoy it.

My boring blog http://masonm.joeuser.com

My knitting blog
http://knittingguy.blogspot.com/

My New Home Page (work in progress)
http://www.gpstrucker.000hosted.com

Knitting_Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 11:17 AM   #13
globaltraveler
Turning the Heel

Yes, total fearlessness is great...in knitting, which is easy to frog back and re-do. I do think it appropriate to mention that there ARE some things in life in which fear and caution are perfectly good responses to have. Part of life is all about knowing when to overcome fear and when to listen to it, really.

Squid? Nah, not for me, thanks! I've had it before and not cared for it.

OTN: Eyelet Chemise in Handmaiden Sea Silk (colorway: Midnight). Still. And a purple Donegal Tweed set of fingerless mitts, to try out my new Hiya Hiya interchangeable needles.

Latest FO: A shrug for an Anthropologie swap in beautiful Casbah sock yarn, in Cedar, a dark green semi-solid, my own pattern. Also a quick Noro Silk Garden neckwarmer for my friend Aideen, in a vine lace pattern.

My knitting blog, Another Long Yarn
globaltraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 12:40 PM   #14
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,761 Times in 7,129 Posts
I liked calamari till some "wonderful" person walked by my table in a restaurant and said "you know you're eating squid??" Up to that point I'd been blissfully unaware. It was of course battered and deep fried so it tasted pretty much like fish. Raw.. not so much. I don't like sushi either.

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 12:42 PM   #15
Mommy22alyns
Turning the Heel

I completely agree! So many things that have looked complicated while reading the pattern have worked out easily once I've knit up to that point and have the piece in my hands. Just do it!

Mmmmmm. Sushi.

Knitting for baby - those little things fly off the needles!
Mommy22alyns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 08:13 PM   #16
globaltraveler
Turning the Heel

I do like sushi! There's just something about the texture of squid that doesn't do a thing for me. It's best if it's really really fresh, of course, the texture's a lot better then, but...I just like other fish better.

OTN: Eyelet Chemise in Handmaiden Sea Silk (colorway: Midnight). Still. And a purple Donegal Tweed set of fingerless mitts, to try out my new Hiya Hiya interchangeable needles.

Latest FO: A shrug for an Anthropologie swap in beautiful Casbah sock yarn, in Cedar, a dark green semi-solid, my own pattern. Also a quick Noro Silk Garden neckwarmer for my friend Aideen, in a vine lace pattern.

My knitting blog, Another Long Yarn
globaltraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 10:27 PM   #17
Knitting_Guy
Grafting the Toe

Thanked 1,130 Times in 832 Posts
Sushi. Where I come from we call it "bait".

What do you mean guys don't knit?

Linux: because a PC is a terrible thing to waste.

Perfection is overrated. Knitting is meant to relieve stress, not cause it. Relax and enjoy it.

My boring blog http://masonm.joeuser.com

My knitting blog
http://knittingguy.blogspot.com/

My New Home Page (work in progress)
http://www.gpstrucker.000hosted.com

Knitting_Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 12:25 AM   #18
kishiki4
Casting On

Sushi is delicious. Calamari... not so much.

And I am very easily intimidated by things but with each knitting project I do, I try to include at least one new technique.
kishiki4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 08:44 AM   #19
mathwizard
Turning the Heel

fearless
Now I love squid or whatever you call it. The Greek in me was taught at a young age it was delicious! But sushi, no way!!!! I don't eat anything in the meat, fish, category at all that is not cooked!!

I try what is considered the advanced patterns and find them a bit challenging especially if I don't know a stitch or method. I learn by doing the advanced and then the next is easy for me. I learned the hard way about using life lines because I became the frogging queen at home by my sons.
Now does anyone have advice about how I can learn to read Japanese. My pattern books of which I have a few, lol, some are written in Japanese. I would love to be able to read them as looking at the pictures isn't enough. I will admit at the moment they are crochet books but really awesome patterns. Some important information or new technique is in a foreign language.
Kudo's for learning Hebrew!!!

Traveling away from home was an experience for me and I would like to do it again. I am not what you say a comfortable traveler as airplanes make me nervous but I did go to Greece at age 25 and was there for two weeks and it was the best experience I ever had. I had a good grasp of the language and well loved the place!
Past Portfolio reviewer for Crochet Guild of America
mathwizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 09:41 AM   #20
Arielluria
Instepping Out

Originally Posted by Knitting_Guy View Post
Sushi. Where I come from we call it "bait".
Same here!
A righteous man has regard for the life of his animal (Proverbs 12:10)
Adopt a pet PETFINDER.COM

Free patternns on My blog or on Ravelry:
Arielluria is offline   Reply With Quote