Old 07-27-2009, 02:29 AM   #1
BettyLuvs2Knit
Casting On

Should Ashley Paige's patterns be published for the public?
So I've only been knitting for a few years. I was shocked when I started because it just came naturally for me. I wish I had started when I was younger. I was nervous to start an actual pattern- had only been doing scarves! - as I thought it might be too difficult to decipher. This too seemed not to be problem for me either.

Right now I am looking at one of Ashley Paige's "most popular" pattern books: Sexy Little Knits. Most of the patterns are not very difficult and don't require a high skill level to complete. However, I found her pattern writing technique VERY difficult to understand.

I would like to start working on Little Mermaid Strapless Top but have found it very confusing. This is not a confusing garment to construct, so why does the pattern make me go: HUH?!?!

Will someone please help me to decipher this pattern so maybe I could make this before the summer's through? ...or maybe have it handy for next summer?

FYI: I thought it might be smart to visit her website to see if maybe I could get feedback from her- or her "people". But that was a dead end as her site's only focus is to find empathy in the public about her follies in the clothing design industry.

She patterns great garments, but.....
BettyLuvs2Knit is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 07-27-2009, 10:13 AM   #2
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,451 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
Without posting the whole pattern, can you type out a few rows that are giving you a problem?

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 10:18 AM   #3
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,751 Times in 7,121 Posts
I don't know her patterns or who she is, but she should be able to make money for her hard work. I've only written a few simple patterns and they are nothing compared to the writing of garment patterns. There are tons of free patterns on the internet.

If you are confused about something in the pattern we have a How-to Questions Forum to help. Ask your questions as clearly and with as much information as you can.

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 10:25 AM   #4
cdjack
Turning the Heel

I checked Ravelry. 26 people have made that top, so maybe you could send a message to one of them about questions that you have.
Also, you can check for errata on the publisher's website.

Courtney
cdjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 10:43 AM   #5
Ingrid
Mod Squad

Thanked 2,241 Times in 1,838 Posts
I've also found that reading too far ahead in any pattern can be confusing. I liken it to reading all the directions on how to assemble a bicycle and worrying that you don't know how to attach flange B to slot A. You're not at that point yet.

Work it one row at a time without getting ahead of yourself. As you complete each section, the directions for the next section will make so much more sense once you have the foundation ready for them.

Dive in! What's the worse that could happen? If you get to a spot that you just don't get, then come here and ask!

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.

Hop aboard while we follow the cloud-covered van of knitting harmony, man!! Woooo!! --Hedgehog

IngridKH on Ravelry
Ingrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 11:36 AM   #6
BettyLuvs2Knit
Casting On

I am in no way dissing Ashley as a designer, she makes WONDERFUL, BEAUTIFUL clothing. But when I pick up a pattern book to emulate one of her awesome creations and find in the first line of the pattern that it doesn't make sense, and then try to go to her website for help from the source and can't find any assistance. This is when it begins to get VERY frustrating.

My sequence of help was to go as follows:
*Go to the pattern writer directly and ask for help or find out if there is an errata.
*Ask others who might have done this pattern if they might have additional advice. (Going to these forms... haven't quite made it to Ravelry yet, that was my next stop.)
*Ask my local knitting friends for help

She may be a very brilliant designer- I've never met her personally. And making money off of her patterns is a very noble profession. But her website portrays her as a VERY confused, disorganized, unprepared person.

Could this be a case of someone getting in a little over their heads??
Old 07-27-2009, 11:41 AM   #7
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Some designers use terminology that is very hard to understand. You can come here and ask for help or find an easier pattern to understand.

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Old 07-27-2009, 11:49 AM   #8
BettyLuvs2Knit
Casting On

Here's the real deal.....

Little Mermaid Strapless Top

(THIS IS THE VERY FIRST LINE OF THE PATTERN FROM THE PATTERN BOOK.)

KNIT 1, PURL 1
Row 1 *Knit 1, purl 1, repeat from * to the end.

Row 2 Knit the knit stitches and purl the purl stitches. Repeat row 2

M1 Make 1 stitch by knitting into back loop of horizontal bar lying before next stitch.

...is this a little confusing to anyone else???

Where is the cast on instructions? How do I K1, P1 when there aren't any stitches on my needles? And if I'm not supposed to do these rows first where am I supposed to put them back into the pattern?

(I like to read all the instructions before I begin a project so I can see what is expected. Just like reading a cooking recipe so I can be prepared for what's next.)
Old 07-27-2009, 02:30 PM   #9
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

It should say to cast on a certain amount somewhere in the beginning. Search for that then maybe it'll all make sense. The part written is not confusing other than that.

~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Old 07-27-2009, 06:37 PM   #10
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,451 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
Look later on in the pattern, the CO sts are probably there. It seems like this part is tell you how to set up the rib st pattern, and it's not unusual to have patterns put this before the CO instructions. It may actually be that you cast on and start working in stockinette and this ribbing will not be the actual first rows of the pattern, but starts later on. Row 1 sets up the rib, row 2 is a common way to write subsequent rows for ribbing. If you knit what look like knit sts and purl the purls, you'll be knitting a rib.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to suzeeq For This Useful Post:
BettyLuvs2Knit (07-28-2009)