Old 07-28-2009, 01:26 AM   #11
BettyLuvs2Knit
Casting On

Originally Posted by suzeeq View Post
Look later on in the pattern, the CO sts are probably there. It seems like this part is tell you how to set up the rib st pattern, and it's not unusual to have patterns put this before the CO instructions. It may actually be that you cast on and start working in stockinette and this ribbing will not be the actual first rows of the pattern, but starts later on. Row 1 sets up the rib, row 2 is a common way to write subsequent rows for ribbing. If you knit what look like knit sts and purl the purls, you'll be knitting a rib.

Ive also been told that maybe a tubular cast on might work.

I'll have to try out all the advice and find out what works.

Thanks for all the help working through this frustration.
BettyLuvs2Knit is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 07-28-2009, 10:07 AM   #12
rachael72knitter
Knitting the Flap

The first time I used a pattern I also got confused. I kept saying to the people I asked, "well why don't they just say. . ." I think all patterns are like that. It was the same thing for me with sewing patterns.

Once you learn the lingo, terminology, abbreviations, and how they are typically set up, you will be fine. I pick up patterns now and don't have the trouble I did when I first started reading them.

I don't think it is how this designer writes her patterns. I think it is how most knitters write their patterns. Just get started and ask a question when you get stuck.
rachael72knitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 01:41 PM   #13
WildMountainHoney
Turning the Heel

IMO, that sounds like the "definitions" section, not the pattern itself. A lot of patterns are written like that - I think most on knitty.com are, too. They give you definitions of all the stitches first, along w/gauge, sizing info, etc.

In the case of what you posted, she is defining exactly what "knit 1 purl 1" will mean when you come to it later in the pattern, but I don't think that line *is* the pattern, I really think that is just the definition section.

OTN:
Bayerische Socks by Eunny Jang in Knit Picks Risata (for ME!)
in queue: Swirl glittens; lacy raglan for me; new cabled sweater for dh

WildMountainHoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 03:18 PM   #14
MMario
Turning the Heel

I agree - it's a definition section, the instructions come later.
Old 07-28-2009, 08:27 PM   #15
cristina61
Knitting the Flap

If you read a little further down in the pattern -- where it says "Back" -- that's where the pattern actually begins. That's where it tells you to cast on 84 (92, 100, 100) stitches, etc.

The paragraph you quoted from is, as mentioned by the others, where she's describing for you the stitch pattern you'll be using so you know exactly what to do when you read (in the next sentence down) "Work 6 rows of Knit 1 purl 1 rib."

I agree with Jan that sometimes it's not good to try to understand every little bit of the pattern when you start; but it is important to read down until you find the CO number, because that's where the pattern really starts.

cristina61 on

** My poor neglected blog is here

RIP Gabby (9/12/2009) -- I miss you SO much. We'll never forget what a sweet girl you were!

cristina61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 01:54 AM   #16
BettyLuvs2Knit
Casting On

Thanks for all your help reading this pattern. This is the first pattern that I haven't been able to "read". Everything other pattern seems to be set up the same. So it was just a bit confusing when I came to this pattern.

I have looked at the pattern with different eyes and I can see now where to direct myself.

I'll keep updates on how this is coming along.

Again thank you all for helping me through this frustration I've been feeling toward this pattern.
BettyLuvs2Knit is offline   Reply With Quote