Old 07-27-2009, 09:01 AM   #1
GayleS
Casting On

Twining
I bought a hat pattern that I really like but it involves twining. I think I understand how to do the twining part but I can't figure out how they want me to cast on the two yarns. They say to make 1 slip knot with the two ends. Using the long tail cast on method cast on 112 sts, using the 2 yardns to cast on - one being the traditional "tail". Does this mean I am casting on the stitches two at a time? I haven't been knitting very long so this one has me a little stumped. Thank you.
GayleS is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 07-27-2009, 10:19 AM   #2
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,451 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
There will be one stitch composed of two strands when you double the yarn. Just treat them as a single stitch and you'll be fine.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 10:25 AM   #3
Ingrid
Mod Squad

Thanked 2,244 Times in 1,838 Posts
I think that you're making the slip knot with the two strands, but then casting on using the two tails for a long tail cast on--one color for each strand. One color will go around the needle and one will form the stitch along the bottom of the needle.

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.

Hop aboard while we follow the cloud-covered van of knitting harmony, man!! Woooo!! --Hedgehog

IngridKH on Ravelry
Ingrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 10:37 AM   #4
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,797 Times in 7,157 Posts
Here are a couple links I found that might help at least for part of it.
http://www.knitty.com/ISSUEwinter05/FEATwin05TT.html

This is just a video of twined knitting in progress. Interesting!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lbZ6IOPsVww

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jan in CA For This Useful Post:
mathwizard (07-28-2009), Rubie (07-27-2009)
Old 07-27-2009, 10:39 AM   #5
Ingrid
Mod Squad

Thanked 2,244 Times in 1,838 Posts
It seems tiresome, but could be very useful.

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.

Hop aboard while we follow the cloud-covered van of knitting harmony, man!! Woooo!! --Hedgehog

IngridKH on Ravelry
Ingrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 11:36 AM   #6
GayleS
Casting On

Thank you
Thank you for your quick responses. I am going to give it a try. I will let you know how it works out.
GayleS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 08:08 AM   #7
OffJumpsJack
Working the Gusset

At first glance, it seemed to me to be much like Fair Isle stranding, but I see the twining is more uniform on the WS than what I remember my Fair Isle appearing. I shall have to give it a try and compare and contrast with Fair Isle. I know Fair Isle does not twist the yarns and this obviously does.

Here is a link to a YouTube video of one way to untwist the yarn (two strands from the same ball, one inside and one from the outside.)

Since I would abhor taking time to untwist the yarns, I am wondering if you can twist them in the opposite direction when working the WS.

Well, that's me; never can leave something as it is. I have to try and make it fit with match up with something else or I have to try and find a better or easier to do the same thing.

Originally Posted by GayleS View Post
I bought a hat pattern that I really like but it involves twining. I think I understand how to do the twining part but I can't figure out how they want me to cast on the two yarns. They say to make 1 slip knot with the two ends. Using the long tail cast on method cast on 112 sts, using the 2 yardns to cast on - one being the traditional "tail". Does this mean I am casting on the stitches two at a time? I haven't been knitting very long so this one has me a little stumped. Thank you.

Here is the video for long tail (double) cast on.
Using two strands for the long tail (or double) cast on, I get it! Put one ball in your lap (yarn from front) and the other farther away like on a desk or tray table (yarn from back). Knot them together (you might do this lightly so you can take the knot out and weave the ends in separately if they are different colors.) Pick up the yarn from front over your thumb then the other yarn from back is over your index finger and the knot is hanging between thumb and finger. Finally wrap your other three fingers loosely around both yarns (See the video and pretend the "tail" is just pulling from the ball in your lap.)

Now put your finger on the knot and cast on as in the video. The yarn from the front is making a backward loop and the yarn from the back is being knit through that loop.

as Off-Jumps-Jack

OTN another Black & gold Diagonal Square Potholder
OTH Baby blanket
OTH Lace doily - A vintage pattern recreating from an heirloom.

Last edited by OffJumpsJack : 07-28-2009 at 08:53 AM. Reason: Answering the CO question and provided link to KH video.
OffJumpsJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 08:27 AM   #8
mathwizard
Turning the Heel

twining
I found the article very informative and the video was interesting. I double strand with the same color yarn for a sweater I am making. I put the balls of yarn into a Ziploc bag and cut v"s on each side of the bag and pulled a strand from each ball out of each of the holes. Zip the bag shut and only open for replacement unless the yarn gets stuck coming out of the center of the ball. Hopefully that won't happen soon if I can find my swift base or make a new one, lol.

Trying that might cut down on the twisting or make it easier to untwist.
Past Portfolio reviewer for Crochet Guild of America
mathwizard is offline   Reply With Quote