Old 07-27-2009, 09:20 AM   #1
cresmoon
1st Leg of the Journey

how do I find a local knitting group?
For those of you who are part of some type of knitting group/circle/thingee (er, yes technical language not my thing at this hour), how did you find this group?

I'm a fairly new knitter and trying to learn everything all by myself and it's very taxing. Since I'm unemployed for now I've been toying with the idea of finding a knitting circle but I can't figure out how to do it. Have tried googling but I'm in Houston and I'm only getting unrelated junk through my searches and no one at my Joanne's or Hobby Lobby or Michael's knows where to look, either. I even tried looking through my phone book, nothing, not that I thought it'd help anyway.

Any ideas? I'd much appreciate your help.
cresmoon is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 07-27-2009, 10:05 AM   #2
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,730 Times in 7,103 Posts
My knitting group is through my LYS (local yarn store). Many of them have social knitting nights so I'd check there first.

Those nights aren't for teaching usually they are just social, but they almost always have classes, too.

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 10:26 AM   #3
Ingrid
Mod Squad

Thanked 2,240 Times in 1,837 Posts
Also check out Yahoo groups.

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.

Hop aboard while we follow the cloud-covered van of knitting harmony, man!! Woooo!! --Hedgehog

IngridKH on Ravelry
Ingrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 11:47 AM   #4
luvmykid28
Turning the Heel

I found mine though Ravelry. I live in Texas and there's a group called "Texas Knitters and Hookers". I am sure there are many groups in Houston. I found this just now:

1. Houston/Heights Area

When: Every Friday evening

Time: People show up as early as 3 or 4 pm and many stick around until the shop closes at 8 pm

Where: Yarns 2 Ewe

2. Not a "formal" SnB, but every Friday at Twisted Yarns a large group gathers to sit & knit.

When: Friday mornings/afternoons

Time: 10am - ??? (We often call out to order lunch or bring a sack lunch and eat there.)

Where: Twisted Yarns

Notes: Bring what you're working on, sit, knit, chat and have fun!

I also just typed in Houston under the groups (on Rav) search link and a bunch of group came up. There are at least 4 LYS in Houston, so I know there are knitting circles. Good luck.

I have three passions:
1. My husband
2. My daughter
3. Knitting
Everything else can wait.
luvmykid28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 01:23 PM   #5
kellyh57
Turning the Heel

Try meetup.com too. I found one there!
Old 07-27-2009, 01:23 PM   #6
cresmoon
1st Leg of the Journey

Thanks to everyone who responded.

I hate to sound dense, but what is Ravelry? I keep reading that word here but I don't know what it is.

I don't know of any local yarn stores near me except for the big chains. I can try to find one, but I have a feeling it won't be close by enough to worth making a trip there. I live close to Galveston but I think the closest one I know of is farther up north. I don't mind if it's just a social group, not a learning group - it'll be good to have other people around me who knit who I can talk to.

Ingrid, you mean online groups? I'm looking for something face to face.
cresmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 01:38 PM   #7
melmac51
Turning the Heel

Originally Posted by cresmoon View Post

I hate to sound dense, but what is Ravelry? I keep reading that word here but I don't know what it is.

I don't know of any local yarn stores near me except for the big chains. I can try to find one, but I have a feeling it won't be close by enough to worth making a trip there. I live close to Galveston but I think the closest one I know of is farther up north. I don't mind if it's just a social group, not a learning group - it'll be good to have other people around me who knit who I can talk to.

By "this one", I mean Knittinghelp.com. (my fave)

Yarns 2 Ewe is on Shepherd St. (if I remember correctly) I've also heard about SnB groups meeting at Borders bookstores, but not at mine here in N.O. (Metairie). Good luck! Ravelry is another networking site, but this one is much, much easier to navigate. At Ravelry, you request membership and they'll send you an invitation a few days later. I found this site when my daughter was waitressing/attending college and saw some ladies knitting in the restaurant. She told them that her mom enjoyed knitting & crocheting, and they wrote down this site and ravelry's site, and then she passed them on to me.

Last edited by melmac51 : 07-27-2009 at 03:58 PM.
melmac51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 01:47 PM   #8
stitchabit
1st Leg of the Journey

Along with the knit groups at the LYS's here. There are groups that meet at the local library, at some of the churches and at some of the cafe's. A friend of mine and I are going to meet this week to plan a group to start in our neighborhood this fall. Maybe, you could start your own group.
Old 07-27-2009, 02:20 PM   #9
luvmykid28
Turning the Heel

Go to Ravelry.com http://www.ravelry.com/and request an invite. It's free and they will send you and email in a couple of days. You will get so much out it; free patterns, a look at other projects, advice, a place to list your stash,finished and future projects.
Also here is a listing of Texas Yarn shops.http://www.needletravel.com/browse_shops.htm?state=TX I see one in Katy.

I have three passions:
1. My husband
2. My daughter
3. Knitting
Everything else can wait.
luvmykid28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 02:26 PM   #10
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,730 Times in 7,103 Posts
After all the talk about it I'm surprised you haven't checked it out. It's awesome! You sign up and then they'll send you the information. It can be overwhelming at first, but it's a great tool.

http://www.ravelry.com/

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote