Old 07-30-2009, 03:27 PM   #1
Abbily
Instepping Out

Thanked 1,603 Times in 1,120 Posts
Advice needed - what to charge for knitting
I have knit 2 scarves for the mom of one of my daughter's friends. I have NO idea what to charge the mom for the knitting. She bought the yarn so there is no charge required there. I didn't do anything fancy- one scarf in basket weave, one with a drop-stitch pattern. I'm also going to do 2 simple hats for her. I've never sold knitting so I have no idea where to start! Any ideas? Thanks!

"I don't have to conform to the vagaries of time and space, I'm a loony!" -Campbell Bain (David Tennant) 'Takin' Over the Asylum'

OTN: Cabled Sweater, arm warmers, kids' clothes
Abbily is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Abbily For This Useful Post:
bannattexady5734 (01-27-2014)

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 07-30-2009, 03:29 PM   #2
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,763 Times in 7,131 Posts
Well, if you figure your time it may end up being too much. That's the problem when figuring out what to charge. Personally I probably wouldn't charge much..maybe $10 or $15 each. If she balks I'd not knit for her again probably.

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 03:34 PM   #3
sandy57th
Knitting the Flap

3 million dollars. Whenever you knit for someone, they have no idea how much time and effort it takes, and if you have to frog back a great deal of it for whatever reason and do it again, not to mention the time it takes to do a gauge swatch (although you said they're scarves), and if the skein has tangles in it you have to un-knot it, and if you lose one needle you have to search your whole house for it . . . Yup, 3 million dollars would be about right.
sandy57th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 04:51 PM   #4
blueygh2
Turning the Heel

It's true, it really takes a lot of time and effort.
And I don't think those are measurable by money.

I just give away my knitted items, never charge for anything, though I may if someone requests a specific item.

I'm NOT a "miss", I'm a lady!
blueygh2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 05:16 PM   #5
TrikkeAddict
1st Leg of the Journey

Originally Posted by sandy57th View Post
3 million dollars. Whenever you knit for someone, they have no idea how much time and effort it takes, and if you have to frog back a great deal of it for whatever reason and do it again, not to mention the time it takes to do a gauge swatch (although you said they're scarves), and if the skein has tangles in it you have to un-knot it, and if you lose one needle you have to search your whole house for it . . . Yup, 3 million dollars would be about right.
ROFL

OTN - afghan for DH (undid it for the 3rd time and started another pattern), baby sweater, hooded sweater jacket for me!!
TrikkeAddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 06:29 PM   #6
Mommy22alyns
Turning the Heel

My knitting instructor charges 1/2 cent per stitch. It certainly doesn't come out cheap, but it's a fair-ish rule of thumb. And it makes you calculate how many stitches are in a project. You'll shock yourself.

Knitting for baby - those little things fly off the needles!
Mommy22alyns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 07:25 PM   #7
mwhite
Instepping Out

Originally Posted by sandy57th View Post
LOL! Wouldn't have to do that but once or twice!

Honestly, depends on the length/width of the scarves, what Jan says is about right...if larger/longer maybe $20, hats, definitely around $10 to $15. Hand fashioned is more personal.
mwhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 07:53 AM   #8
cftwo
Working the Gusset

I've sold 2 things: dischclothes (I charged twice the cost of the yarn) and a shawl (I charged about 5 times the cost of the yarn - it was a much bigger piece). In both cases I bought the yarn for myself, the yarn was not expensive, and I considered that some of the payment for doing the projects was the need not to pay for therapy. I'd probably charge $10-$15 for a simple scarf.
cftwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 08:26 AM   #9
LizzieK8
1st Leg of the Journey

Age old argument, when one doesn't charge for one's time and skill (even if you're a beginner, you obviously have a skill the buyer doesn't have or would rather pay someone else to do) one undermines oneself and other knitters. The attitude that it's a "hobby" or "I enjoy it" keeps fiber arts a hobby, not a skill and in the realm of something little old ladies do to keep busy because idle hands are the devil's workshop.

Then again, if you charge for you time, no one will buy the items.

When people ask me how much I'd charge to make them a pair of socks, I say, "They start at $350 plus materials." Of course I don't get any takers, but I explain that I value my time and skill just like a plumber or mechanic, or roofer, or a lawyer or doctor.

Rule of thumb, settle the price before making the items. It's always less expensive for the person to go to K-Mart and get a commercially knitted scarf than to pay someone what it's worth to make them.

Old 07-31-2009, 09:11 AM   #10
Abbily
Instepping Out

Thanked 1,603 Times in 1,120 Posts
Lots of good advice, thanks!

I like the 3 mil, that sounds about right!

I have never 'sold' knitting before, usually I only knit for family or close friends. This woman is the mom of my daughter's friend, and she bought this yarn in New Zealand when she was pg with her (now 7 yo) daughter. She intended to crochet a blanket for the baby, but never got around to it. She really wanted something made out of it that her daughter could use, and settled on 2 scarves and 2 hats so that she and her daughter could have a matching set. Thanks for all the help! I think I'll probably ask for $50 for the set.

"I don't have to conform to the vagaries of time and space, I'm a loony!" -Campbell Bain (David Tennant) 'Takin' Over the Asylum'

OTN: Cabled Sweater, arm warmers, kids' clothes
Abbily is offline   Reply With Quote