Old 08-02-2009, 08:53 AM   #1
reeny
Ribbing the Cuff

Help needed with 2-st RT/ 2-st LT
I am trying to swatch the for the Baby Doll pattern in the summer issue of Verena. The pattern stitch does not have written instructions, only a chart. The definition for these two stitches are

2-st RT Skip next st on LH needle, working in front of skipped st, knit next st; purl skipped st; slide both sts to RH needle.

2-st LT skip next st on LH needle; working behind skipped st, purl next st' knit skipped stitch; slide both sts to RH needle.

For some reason I am having a really hard time getting this right.

Am I supposed to bring the working yarn in front of the work, insert my Rt needle into the second stitch from left to right, keeping it in the front, and pulling the yarn through that way, then purl the first stitch? This is really hard to do!

The 2st- LT is even tougher. Am I supposed to have the working yarn in the back, inserting my needle right to left keeping it behind the work, then purl it through?

I feel like there has to be an easier way. But, when I did it a way that seemed easier the pattern did not come out correctly--and when I tried doing it like a cable I kept dropping stitches. Does anyone know of any videos demonstrating this technique?

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 08-02-2009, 09:12 AM   #2
Mirl56
Instepping Out

http://www.youtube.com/results?searc...rch_type=&aq=f

I didn't watch any of these, but see if they help. You're basically doing a 2 stitch cable by knitting the 2nd stitch first, then the first stitch.

Mirl56 at Ravelry, too.

Learn from the mistakes of others. You canít live long enough to make them all yourself. Eleanor Roosevelt

OTN:
Lady Feb Sweater
more shawlettes, socks
Mirl56 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mirl56 For This Useful Post:
reeny (08-02-2009)
Old 08-02-2009, 10:20 AM   #3
Ingrid
Mod Squad

Thanked 2,241 Times in 1,838 Posts
You can also use a cable needle, or do cabling without a needle, and for the

RT-Slip the first stitch onto the cable needle and hold in back. Knit one and purl one from the cable needle.

LT-Slip the first stitch onto a cable needle and hold in front. Purl one from the cable needle, knit one.

To use the no cable needle method, you can insert your needle as your directions say, but just slip them off, don't knit them. Then, slip them back onto the left needle and knit, purl for a right twist, or purl knit for a left twist.

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.

Hop aboard while we follow the cloud-covered van of knitting harmony, man!! Woooo!! --Hedgehog

IngridKH on Ravelry
Ingrid is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ingrid For This Useful Post:
reeny (08-02-2009)
Old 08-02-2009, 03:47 PM   #4
reeny
Ribbing the Cuff

Thanks for your help. The videos were really helpful and I am pretty sure I am doing the Rt twist correctly. I'm not sure about the left twist, since I have to purl in the back I was trying to do it by keeping the working yarn in front of the right hand needle, but behind the work, but I kept ending up with extra stitches. Now I am purling it from behind the right hand needle and I think I am ending up twisting my stitches. I will attempt the cable needle for the purls and maybe after I do that a few times I can figure out what I need to do to not have to use the cable needle. I am not good at leaving my stitches hanging, I think I knit too tightly and I end up dropping stitches like crazy when I try that.
Old 08-03-2009, 10:12 AM   #5
reeny
Ribbing the Cuff

Whoo hoo i think I got it.
For anyone else that has trouble with this technique here is what I decided
to do for my purling behind the first stitch:

Skip first stitch on LH needle. Insert RH needle purl wise into the second stitch behind the work. The working yarn should be between the needles. Wrap the yarn over and around the RH needle and pull it through the stitch (this will add an extra yarn over on the needle). I make this new stitch really big, then slip the RH needle out of the new stitch and the yarn over. I put the stitch back on the needle and pull it tight, then bring the needle back to the front to knit the first stitch as usual. It has been working!
Old 01-01-2011, 02:05 PM   #6
Quiltlady
Working the Gusset

Thank you
[quote=Mirl56;1244689]http://www.youtube.com/results?searc...rch_type=&aq=f

Thank you for posting the video. It always helps me to SEE what I'm suppose to be doing.
Quiltlady is offline   Reply With Quote