Old 08-06-2009, 05:43 AM   #1
LaurieO
Casting On

Cable Sweater from Knits For Barbie
Hello- My name is Laurie and I am new to the forum. I live on Cape Cod and I have a question. My mom and I are knitting some Barbie items for my niece - I picked up Nicky Epstein's book - Knits For Barbie. My mom is an experienced knitter, I am somewhat experienced, but prefer simple patterns - The first pattern in the book, for the Aran-style cable sweater - the directions for the 3RT stitch seem odd. The book says to drop the 3 stitches that are used for the cable pattern - I think they are moved to the right needle, but am not sure and am not familiar with cables. My mom's distant from me, and someone she knows suggested I ask here. Has anyone this this particular sweater, or is anyone familiar with the pattern? Thanks!

Laurie
LaurieO is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 08-06-2009, 06:43 AM   #2
Mirl56
Instepping Out

I don't have the book so I can't say for sure. But it sounds like they want you to make the cable using a method of cabling without a cable needle.

One method of cabling w/out a cable needle has you slide off the 2-3-however many stitches, sort of hold them so they don't unravel, then knit the next 2-3-however many, then slide the first 2-3 stitches back on the left needle and knit them. Cable crossed. If you're not comfortable making cables w/out a cable needle, you can certainly use a cable needle.

Mirl56 at Ravelry, too.

Learn from the mistakes of others. You canít live long enough to make them all yourself. Eleanor Roosevelt

OTN:
Lady Feb Sweater
more shawlettes, socks
Mirl56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 06:07 PM   #3
LaurieO
Casting On

Thank You!
Hi Marilyn- Thanks very much- I was wondering about that, but I was going to put them on something rather than try to hold them. Thanks also for letting me know how to do it without a cable needle.

Laurie
LaurieO is offline   Reply With Quote