Old 08-06-2009, 05:15 PM   #1
yarncharmer
Knitting the Flap

My local Joann's store remodel = YARN!
I'm so excited! I just got home from my local Joann's. It's always had the best needle selection of the big box stores in my town, but their yarn selection was really lousy. I went in today for DPNs and was happily surprised to see the yarn area has grown to about 3 or 4x what it was before!! They had yarns I'd never seen, like Mode Dea Bamboo Wool, Bernat CottonCorn blend, and a bunch of JoAnn brand yarns. They have much more wool and wool blends than ever before.

It was like a little slice of yarn heaven... just thought I'd share

Is anyone else getting a remodel at your local Joann's store?

Last edited by yarncharmer : 08-06-2009 at 06:04 PM.
yarncharmer is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 08-06-2009, 08:12 PM   #2
ArtLady1981
Mod Squad

Thanked 3,893 Times in 3,014 Posts
Yay! I always loved Joann's for having a lot of great yarns that are beautiful and affordable! My local Joann's Etc never disappoints! Glad your Joann's has improved! I will have to check out my local Joann's and see if they, too, have those new yarns you mentioned!

Artlady at Rav
ArtLady1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 09:37 AM   #3
Sunshine's Mom
Turning the Heel

My local JoAnn's stinks. There is absolutely NO needle selection to speak of and only a few bins of yarn and nothing special in those. I gave up on them long ago.
Sunshine's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 09:53 AM   #4
Cougar1
Ribbing the Cuff

I haven't been to Joann's lately but last week when I went to the HobbyLobby I usually go to I noticed their yarn selection had shrunk! Bad enough Wal Mart has chucked crafters out the door, but now this...and I drove an hour to go there. Very disappointed...will check out Joann's next time I get to go to Springfield and see what they have.
Cougar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 10:42 AM   #5
Fiestaknitter
Ribbing the Cuff

I have noticed the same thing at my Hobby Lobby. It seems that they have narrowed their selection to their own brand of yarn along with a small selection of red heart and caron.
Fiestaknitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 11:41 AM   #6
jomac30
Ribbing the Cuff

When you list your locasl JoAnn store could you say where it is?
I have 2 near me in Massachusetts--Saugus and Middleton.

Has anyone been to Playtown for yarn? I haven't been there yet. Its in Arlington, MA. I was wondering about their selection of yarn. I heard they have a huge selection of craft supplies.

A friend picked up the sew-on google eyes for me for sweaters I was making. I could not find the sew on anywhere else.
jomac30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 01:14 PM   #7
mandicita
Casting On

I live in VT, and my local Joann's has enough of a selection, I suppose, but the prices are waaay higher than Michael's. At Joann, a skein of Paton's Classic is $6.99, and it's $4.99 at Michael's. I will continue to go to Joann in a pinch (it's 40 miles closer), but I do my yarn shopping at Michael's. Plus, Michael's has great sales!
With that all said, I have recently become addicted to yarn.com. SUPER DEALS!!
Old 08-07-2009, 02:03 PM   #8
yarncharmer
Knitting the Flap

Sunshine's Mom, my Joann's store used to have a yarn selection about like your local store-- very few bins and most of it was Vanna's Choice and Homespun - not much variety. I was so happily surprised to see several aisles now dedicated to yarn, including some fingering weight wool in solid colors and some yarns in fibers I hadn't seen before, like the cotton/corn blend. Some stores may already have this kind of selection; I was just curious if Joann's was doing a widespread remodel or if I just got lucky.

Jomac30-- my store is in Bloomington, IN. It's old selection was very similar to the selection in my parents' town a couple hours away. I'm not sure if they're getting a remodel, too or not.

The # of aisles of yarn at my local hobby lobby also shrunk, but the selection seems better to me. They got rid of a lot of the novelty yarns and added several wool blends. I really like Hobby Lobby's baby yarns, too.

I'm just happy to be seeing new and better (maybe that just means more appealing to me) yarns in my local stores. Hope you all start seeing positive changes in your stores, too.
yarncharmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 02:32 PM   #9
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,451 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
Wow, My HL has their brand plus quite a lot of yarn by Bernat, Caron, RH, Vanna's Choice/Lion (though not woolease worsted), Patons, and Deborah Norville's Premier yarn brands. They've made the section smaller, but they got rid of a lot of fuzzy, furry yarn for the sock yarns and the other new ones.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 02:51 PM   #10
margz3
Working the Gusset

I find that in my area, AC Moore has, by far, the best selection of yarn - at least as compared with Michael's and JoAnn's. Jomac, there is an AC Moore in Somerville, Danvers and Woburn - if you haven't been there, maybe you could check it out.

I do find they vary a bit by location though. I tend to hit up the one in Framingham during lunch, and have been pleased with both their needle and yarn selection. I'll have to give Joann's another shot next time I am near one. Though, I gotta say, hitting up a LYS kinda takes the fun out of the box stores for me lol!

OTN

socks (still!)
dishcloths
baby afghans
HAP items

margz3 is offline   Reply With Quote