Old 08-06-2009, 10:13 PM   #1
sillaryhue
Casting On

Help reading lace shawl pattern
I'm a little confused with the enlish mesh lace pattern and also the horseshoe lace pattern. It says it is multiples of 6 plus 1 st for edging. Does that edging stitch include the multiples of 6 or do you need to add the edging on top. Like in this pattern you cast on 24 and then knit a row and then do the english mesh lace pattern, so do I need to add 2 more stitches for the edging or is it included in the 24?

I'm also a little confused on the increase. There are two sections about it and I really just need it in lamen terms. I'm still kinda new at this but easy patterns are getting easy so I wanted to try something harder and I think I might have picked something too hard but it is just so beautiful I really want to make it work. Thanks for the help

(here is the pattern)

http://elann.com/ShowFreePattern.asp?Id=111024
sillaryhue is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 08-07-2009, 12:28 AM   #2
mwhite
Instepping Out

Originally Posted by sillaryhue View Post
I'm a little confused with the enlish mesh lace pattern and also the horseshoe lace pattern. It says it is multiples of 6 plus 1 st for edging. Does that edging stitch include the multiples of 6 or do you need to add the edging on top. Like in this pattern you cast on 24 and then knit a row and then do the english mesh lace pattern, so do I need to add 2 more stitches for the edging or is it included in the 24?

I'm also a little confused on the increase. There are two sections about it and I really just need it in lamen terms. I'm still kinda new at this but easy patterns are getting easy so I wanted to try something harder and I think I might have picked something too hard but it is just so beautiful I really want to make it work. Thanks for the help

(here is the pattern)

http://elann.com/ShowFreePattern.asp?Id=111024
A beautiful choice in this pattern!
No, the pattern does not include the edge stitch, you'll have to add 1 each time you begin and end a knit row from what I've read.

Note this located in the instructions for beginning the shawl(in bold)
SHAWL

Neck to Bottom
Start with 4.5mm (US 7) circular needle, at each new ball of yarn, change needle to one size larger - 5.0mm (US 8) for second ball of yarn, then 5.5mm (US 9) for third ball, 6.0mm (US 10) for fourth ball, 6.5mm (US 10 1/2) for fifth ball, 7.0mm (US 10/12 – 11) for sixth ball, 8.0mm (US 11) for 7th ball. 8th ball is used for bind off - use 8.0mm (US 11) needles for this.

CO 24 sts, knit across. Divide into halves: K12, place center-back increase marker, K12. Work back and forth in English Mesh Lace until end of first ball of yarn. Work all odd-numbered rows as inc rows: Knit into front and back of stitches at beginning and end of row, and before & after center-back increase marker.**

It increases 4 sts each row, one as you begin the knit row, one before the center stitch, one after the center stitch, then a fourth at the end of the knit row.

Hope this helps and really would love to see your project!!!
mwhite is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mwhite For This Useful Post:
sillaryhue (08-09-2009)
Old 08-07-2009, 08:57 AM   #3
MMario
Turning the Heel

This pattern has driven many a person nearly insane. Not that it is terribly complicated, but I am sorry to say the instructions are not the best.

There is a yahoo group devoted to it with corrected graphs and instructions, and I believe a Ravelry group as well.
Mirl56 (08-08-2009)
Old 08-08-2009, 08:50 AM   #4
Mirl56
Instepping Out

MMarie - do you know the names of the groups? I did a search at ravelry and yahoo groups, but didn't find it. At ravelry I found an occasional mention of the shawl but not a dedicated forum.

Mirl56 at Ravelry, too.

Learn from the mistakes of others. You canít live long enough to make them all yourself. Eleanor Roosevelt

OTN:
Lady Feb Sweater
more shawlettes, socks
Mirl56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 09:33 AM   #5
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,451 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
There's a ravelry for elann patterns, http://www.ravelry.com/groups/elann-shawl-knitalong though there aren't any posts about this shawl. The yahoo group is http://groups.yahoo.com/group/AranWe...nLaceShawlKAL/

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to suzeeq For This Useful Post:
Mirl56 (08-08-2009), sillaryhue (08-09-2009)
Old 08-09-2009, 07:21 PM   #6
sillaryhue
Casting On

Thanks
Thanks guys that was very helpful and I'll be sure to post pics when I get it done. (That makes more sense now of why they want the increase of four
sillaryhue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 07:26 PM   #7
Ellieblue
Knitting the Flap

Just beautiful, but if I were to make the shawl the first thing I would do is make a chart for each of the patterns that way you will get a visual image of how the rows stack up