Old 08-12-2009, 03:36 AM   #11
Dimpledapple
Turning the Heel

I think it's so sweet that your knitting brought a smile to her face! It's definitely a pleasant way to spend the time at a doctor's office
Dimpledapple is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dimpledapple For This Useful Post:
bambi (08-12-2009)

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 08-12-2009, 12:33 PM   #12
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,641 Times in 7,043 Posts
Originally Posted by Vertigo1414 View Post
i get looks when i knit on the train on the way to work. i think i a lot of it has to do with my age though, i'm 23 but i look young.
Sorry, I can't help laughing. I know what you mean, but even if you looked 23 you'd still be too young to knit according to some people who still associate knitting with grannys in rocking chairs.

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 12:30 AM   #13
Simply_Renee
Turning the Heel

That is awesome, although it makes me sad to think that one day I won't be able to knit either!

I knit everywhere I go and have a few minutes. Usually people just look at me like I am insane or ask what I am knitting (usually a sock) and then ask if it's for me because it looks small. (ribbing stretches!)

At my daughter's last marching band practice, I ended up with 4 kids crowded all around me trying to learn. I am starting to feel like the Pied Piper.

How many new knitters do I need to convert before I get the free toaster?

Recently FO- Quinn cabled bag, Evangeline fingerless gloves (2 pairs), Topknot baby hats, pompom & earflap hats, 8 pairs of socks, Baby Folkwear Caftan, Debbie Bliss Baby Shawl (blanket)

I'm SimplyRenee on Ravelry- feel free to add me as a friend & I will do the same!
Simply_Renee is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Simply_Renee For This Useful Post:
bambi (08-15-2009)
Old 08-15-2009, 09:42 PM   #14
Dari
Ribbing the Cuff

I always knit during rehearsal when I'm not needed onstage. It's better than watching the same scenes over and over again with only minor changes, and it keeps my hands busy.

Lots of times I have castmembers sit down next to me and watch, ask what I'm making, all that jazz. Some have tried to get me to teach them, but I'm really bad at teaching people how to knit! I even get requests for scarves/hats/socks (which I don't know how to do yet, but would love to try), and my usual response is "if you buy me the yarn/needles and get me a pattern, I sure will." That stops most of the requests, but it doesn't stop me from knitting for people

"As an artist, the only thing I have to offer is the revelation of my soul."
-Eleonora Duse

I knit because sometimes it's the only way to keep from strangling stupid people.
Dari is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dari For This Useful Post:
bambi (08-15-2009)
Old 08-15-2009, 09:52 PM   #15
bambi
Working the Gusset

Dari, my ballet teacher and her dance group used to knit thier own tights! She also told me that instead of the wrap sweaters they used to just wear regular cardis and button them in the back.

B
bambi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 09:59 PM   #16
Dari
Ribbing the Cuff

Originally Posted by bambi View Post
Dari, my ballet teacher and her dance group used to knit thier own tights! She also told me that instead of the wrap sweaters they used to just wear regular cardis and button them in the back.

B
Now, that would be a fun "cast bonding" project!

I've had a few directors and acting coaches who use Meisner (an acting method which uses real life to make acting more true) use knitting as a "life scene." Not knowing how to knit and trying to teach yourself, as an acting experience, can bring out some pretty true emotions

"As an artist, the only thing I have to offer is the revelation of my soul."
-Eleonora Duse

I knit because sometimes it's the only way to keep from strangling stupid people.
Dari is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dari For This Useful Post:
bambi (08-16-2009)