Old 08-11-2009, 06:53 PM   #1
kdenning
Casting On

Need help calculating number of stitches to cast on.
Hello all. I have a pattern that calls for a worsted weight yarn, and size 6 dpns, casting on 36 stitches. However, I have a yarn that is a fine weight and I want to use it instead, and I'm also not sure if I should use smaller dpns. I'm making a coffee cozy that is knit in the round, so it's nothing anyone will be wearing Thanks in advance for any advice.

- Kim
kdenning is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 08-11-2009, 07:34 PM   #2
Ingrid
Mod Squad

Thanked 2,244 Times in 1,838 Posts
Worsted weight on size 6 needles will give you a pretty dense fabric, which is probably what you'd want for a coffee cozy.

To determine how many you need for your yarn, knit a swatch with needles that give you a fabric that you like. You'll probably want to go smaller than 6. Since the cup won't complain about the size you probably could get away with casting on about 20 stitches and knit for an inch or so. That will give you an idea of how many stitches per inch you're going to be knitting at.

Figure out how many inches around your cozy should be (a little smaller so you have a bit of room for stretch) and multiply that by the number of stitches per inch you get.

So, for example, if your cozy is 5 inches around, and you get 5 stitches per inch, you'd cast on 25 stitches.

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.

Hop aboard while we follow the cloud-covered van of knitting harmony, man!! Woooo!! --Hedgehog

IngridKH on Ravelry
Ingrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 08:31 PM   #3
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,451 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
With using smaller needles and yarn, you'd probably get more like 6-7 sts/inch and would need more sts than the 36 in the pattern. Which sounds like it's a square or rectangle, not a round one, btw.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote