I finally finished it last night (only one day after my goal, which was by the beginning of the school year!) I'll be gifting it today once it dries
Its my first time blocking, so its not exactly level straight, but being a rectangular shawl, I'm sure it will be fine (if not, and someone can please give some pointers, feel free to comment and I can block it again tonight and gift it tomorrow instead!).
Its made up of garter, stockinette (with cross pattern) and trinity stitches. I made it up as I went along, so I had lots of frogging time
(made much easier by lifelines though!!) Started with 90 cast on sts and then did the math for the cross parts as I went, same for the trinity stitch.
I have to say, it was *hard* getting the other end to knit up exactly like the beginning (when to begin the trinity stitch, how many rows of stockinette for the top, middle and bottom portions of the crosses etc). It was knit as a single piece, so matching it up exactly took some time (and more frogging! lol!) I thought that would be the easiest part since I already knew my made up "pattern".....*wrong*!
Anyway, sorry to ramble.. I'm just happy I finally finished my first major project :D
Here's some pics...