Old 08-07-2009, 02:47 PM   #1
Sweet_Thang
Ribbing the Cuff

Will I ever get my knitting mojo back?
I have not posted in ages; I guess because I have been so consumed with work, life and family. But I do lurk and read all the time when I do get a free moment.

I have had a rough month in that I lost my husband of 3 3/4 years unexpectedly. He passed in his sleep sometimes in the morning of the 12th. I arrived home from a girls weekend to find him gone. I am truly devastated as he was my best friend, my love and my hero.

The last few weeks have consisted of walking around in a fog, forcing myself to eat something and just trying to cope. I have had no desire to even pick up my needles and finish the blanket for my friends baby who is due any day now. I did take a class last Saturday but only because I had signed up for it earlier in June and had paid it in full. I could have cancelled, but when I signed up for it his words to me was "as long as you promise to not miss it because you want to take it and we paid for it".

I just don't have any desire for anything. I don't enjoy anything. I hardly watch any tv any more, and everyone knows I am a reality tv junkie.

will I ever get my passion back for my knitting? will I ever recover from the loss of the love of my life? I pray that I will, but now I just doubt.

I am getting a lot of support from family and friends; grief counseling and support group. but I just feel so alone. We never had kids and so it's just me and the dog and a big house that's full of our things.

My love was only 45 yrs old. I am 42. I never thought that I would be a widow at 42. It kills me that we still don't know what caused his death. The medical examiners office is slow, understaffed, underfunded and overloaded. it could be months before I ever find out. that's what hurts the most. Maybe if I knew what happened, I might could start to heal a little bit.

I am sorry, I just needed write all this out. I know what a supportive community you guys are and I just wanted to share.

Thanks,

lexie

SweetThang - pls add my as your friend!
Sweet_Thang is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 08-07-2009, 03:29 PM   #2
Vertigo1414
Knitting the Flap

i am so beyond sorry to hear about your loss. i don't think there's anything other than time that will help. but i hope i'm wrong
Northeast Oddball Baby Blankets
Oddball Pet Snuggles

Vertigo's Knits-My blog
Vertigo1414 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 04:14 PM   #3
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,641 Times in 7,043 Posts
Oh no, I am so sorry! I don't know what to say, but give you a hug.

You will get your knitting mojo back and your interest in other things. It will just take time. Knitting can even help. Sometimes a focus on someone else can help so maybe chemo caps or making something for another charity will make you feel better a little at a time.

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 04:17 PM   #4
evona
Working the Gusset

I am so sorry to hear about your loss. I would be devastated too. Your loss is very fresh and I think your reactions have been pretty normal. I wouldn't want to do much either. Mourning is a personal thing. Everyone mourns at some point in your life, but when you go through it you feel so alone. its important to remember that you are NOT alone!!

Its also important to allow yourself the time to absorb what has happened and experience the normal emotions of mourning so that you may go on with life. When my father passed I was only 24, I never thought I would lose my daddy. I was miserable - especially since I was a young single mother and he was a huge source of my emotional and financial support. One day I was speaking to a stranger at the gym. She knew nothing about my loss, but somehow we got on the topic of emotions. She said "You know. If you lose a loved one its normal to feel sad, angry, to cry and throw a fit. When we run into problems is when we don't or won't allow ourselves to feel those things because we think we're weak if we do. We should let them wash over us like a wave so that they can pass." Without knowing it she gave me the best advice I've ever received and it helped me through that very difficult time. If you fight the waves you drown. You have to let them come, experience them and then, most importantly, let them pass.

There may be a group that meets in your area for people who's spouses have passed. It might help to be around people who are feeling similar to you right now.
evona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 07:19 PM   #5
MoniDew
Working the Gusset

I am so very sorry for your loss.

There is nothing more that I can add to the words of comfort that have already been spoken. All I can do is agree with what has already been said.

Bless you, sweetheart. Time heals.
Old 08-07-2009, 07:36 PM   #6
cdjack
Turning the Heel

Bless your heart, Lexie. As the others have said, in time it will get better and you'll start to feel like yourself again. I lost my dad a couple of years ago. I was in shock and just kind of walked through life in a daze for awhile.

Jan's idea about charity knitting is a good one. I'm a member of the Southwest Oddball Charity Blanket group. You'll find our group under the Charity Forum. I think we will start up again in September.

We are all here for you.

Courtney
cdjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 03:32 AM   #7
Debkcs
Instepping Out

Thanked 1,281 Times in 1,192 Posts
Lexie, I'm so sorry for your loss, words aren't adequate.

My best advice, having gone through this myself, is just to let your emotions take their course.

"All good things and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of Lights who cannot change."
James 1:17
Debkcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 12:53 PM   #8
dustinac
2nd Sock, I Rock

Thanked 4,204 Times in 2,997 Posts
I'm so sorry for your loss...you are in my prayers

A Mountaineer Knitter's Blog
dustinac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 05:48 PM   #9
knitfan
Ribbing the Cuff

I agree with evona's post. Eventhough a divorce is not a death, which is what I went through, it is still something that required a certain amount of grieving to get through. So even more so with the death of your dear husband. My counselor told me that you shouldn't try to block any emotions at this time, as you need to get the pain out and the best way is to let yourself cry or rant or whatever you need at that moment. It really really does help to go with your emotions and not put up a brave front.
My thoughts are with you at this terrible time of your life.
knitfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 07:52 PM   #10
HollyP
Working the Gusset

I am so very sorry for your loss! I won't even try to pretend I know what you are going through since mourning is so personal and individual to everyone. I do know from personal experience with loss that things will get better eventually. You'll be in my thoughts and prayers.

Southeast Baby Oddball Blog
HollyP is offline   Reply With Quote