Old 08-17-2009, 02:22 PM   #11
Lighting57
Turning the Heel

I use my library all the time for the same reasons as mentioned above. I copy patterns I think I will make for myself. If I like the book and think that I'll use a lot of the patterns, I then order one on line from Amazon or Ebay.

My question is:
If we all agree that it is ok to copy a pattern (not the whole book) from a book or magazine we pick up at the library (to use for ourself, not to make and mass produce), why are people reluctant to make or email a copy of a pattern to someone that post a request for one here on this or any other board?

Please, I'm not trying to start an argument. I understand copyright law, etc. I was just wondering what makes it alright from one direction and not acceptable from other?
Lighting57 is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 08-17-2009, 02:40 PM   #12
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,779 Times in 7,145 Posts
Originally Posted by Lighting57 View Post
My question is:
If we all agree that it is ok to copy a pattern (not the whole book) from a book or magazine we pick up at the library (to use for ourself, not to make and mass produce), why are people reluctant to make or email a copy of a pattern to someone that post a request for one here on this or any other board?
You answered your own question - Because the copyright rules generally state that it's okay to make ONE copy for yourself only. There are designers that watch forums and there have been instances where we've had problems. I know it sounds nitpicky, but we have to follow the rules.

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 04:35 PM   #13
hartleystudio
Knitting the Flap

I love using the library for knitting books but most of them have been stolen by the time I get to check them out. The librarian says they can't keep knitting books of cookbooks very long before they disappear. Isn't that sad? I have such a small house that, unless there are several things I want to knit out of a book, I don't have room for all those books! So, I request 5 books hoping to get one!!

I'm on Etsy when I'm not knitting...

http://www.hartleystudio.etsy.com

I'm Hartleystudio on Ravelry too!!
hartleystudio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 05:34 PM   #14
thecatsmother
Knitting the Flap

I've only recently discovered the elibrary where I can go online and look at the books from all the county libraries, and put on hold the ones I like.I've been revelling in knitting and crochet books and there is usually only one or two patterns I'm interested in,but I took out a Doris Chan crochet book....OMG every page I turned" I'll have to copy that and that" I was up to 6 patterns(LOL) I just said to DH to order the book for me online......and now it's mine and I want to make every pattern.......libraries can be dangerous places!!!
Old 08-17-2009, 05:38 PM   #15
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,451 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
Quote:
I mentioned earlier that libraries fall under the 'fair use' part of copyright law. That recognizes that people aren't always able to buy a copy of a book or magazine, but should they wish to have a portion of it for reference, they can make a copy of it for their use, as long as it isn't a substantial part of the whole item. A copy owned by an individual does not fall under this consideration.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 10:02 PM   #16
Gertie
Knitting the Flap

Originally Posted by hartleystudio View Post
I love using the library for knitting books but most of them have been stolen by the time I get to check them out. The librarian says they can't keep knitting books of cookbooks very long before they disappear. Isn't that sad? I have such a small house that, unless there are several things I want to knit out of a book, I don't have room for all those books! So, I request 5 books hoping to get one!!
Is your library in an interloan system? It's helped me before.
Gertie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 10:04 PM   #17
Gertie
Knitting the Flap

Originally Posted by Lisa R. View Post
You're kidding! There's no excuse for that!
Really!!
Old 08-18-2009, 12:04 PM   #18
kellyh57
Turning the Heel

Do you report books that have been cut up? The library should keep track of who has checked out the book and be able to track down the culprit. If you are adamant about doing it every time you see a destroyed book, eventually, they'll be able to figure it out.
Old 08-18-2009, 07:56 PM   #19
Gertie
Knitting the Flap

Originally Posted by kellyh57 View Post
Do you report books that have been cut up? The library should keep track of who has checked out the book and be able to track down the culprit. If you are adamant about doing it every time you see a destroyed book, eventually, they'll be able to figure it out.
Yes I do report the crime. Don't know how much good it does, cause there's always the burden of proof...

Years ago there was a computer disk missing. It wasn't caught when I checked out the book. Fortunately, we have a good friend at the library who vouched for me. I imagine that recipes get clipped out, too.
Old 08-18-2009, 10:04 PM   #20
Chrysee
Ribbing the Cuff

Originally Posted by kellyh57 View Post
I would think if I were going to steal something out of a library book I would do so at the library without checking the item out. At least, that seems the sneakiest option. No connection to you at all then.

That's why when I worked at an academic library, we did not necessarily go after the last person who checked out an item if it was damaged.