Old 08-18-2009, 11:14 AM   #1
letsknit
Ribbing the Cuff

K1, P1?
I am new to knitting and have been practising for the past few weeks. I feel good about the knit and the purl stitches, but when ever I try to K1, P1, it doesn't come out right. I end up with extra loops on my needle. Can someone help me out should I be putting the yarn in back/front of the needle with the respective stitches? Thanks for any advice.
letsknit is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 08-18-2009, 11:21 AM   #2
Lisa R.
Turning the Heel

Yes, you move the yarn to the front for a purl stitch, and back again for the knit stitch. Move the yarn between the needles.

I'm Knittermom9 on Ravelry
Lisa R. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 03:28 PM   #3
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,451 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
I second what Lisa wrote - move the yarn between the needles, not over them.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 06:22 PM   #4
yarndolly
Ribbing the Cuff

Originally Posted by letsknit View Post
I am new to knitting and have been practising for the past few weeks. I feel good about the knit and the purl stitches, but when ever I try to K1, P1, it doesn't come out right. I end up with extra loops on my needle. Can someone help me out should I be putting the yarn in back/front of the needle with the respective stitches? Thanks for any advice.
I haven't been knitting long myself, and I was having problems until I really figured out the difference between knit and purl. (I'm sure that sounds stupid, but there I was.) I finally noticed that when the stitch comes off the needle when I Knit, the bump goes to the back of the work. When I purl, the bump goes to the front of the work. If I'm knitting and bring the yarn in between the needles to the front, but continue to knit, it adds a stitch. (It also adds a little hole. When you do this on purpose, it's called a yarn over YO.) You can get the same effect if you are doing purl stitches and you bring the yarn in between the needles to the back and continue to purl. (Then it's called a yarn back YB) In both cases you get an extra stitch. Sometimes a pattern will counter balance the additional stitch by knitting or purling two other stitches together.

Keep trying. You will get the hang of it.
Old 08-18-2009, 06:40 PM   #5
letsknit
Ribbing the Cuff

Thank you all! I was beginning to think that it was me or something!
Old 08-18-2009, 06:53 PM   #6
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,451 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
Quote:
You can get the same effect if you are doing purl stitches and you bring the yarn in between the needles to the back and continue to purl. (Then it's called a yarn back YB)
That's actually just a backwards YO or a purl YO. Some patterns will have you slip a st with the yarn in back, wyib, where you take the yarn to the back and just slip the st from one needle to another. It doesn't do a YO in that case.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 12:12 PM   #7
OffJumpsJack
Working the Gusset

Originally Posted by letsknit View Post
Aye, It should be called the Black Purl. It be a pirate among stitches.

As Sue and the others have said, the only safe waters be those between the needles. If you go astray, you'll be sure to run afoul of the Black Purl.

I've met up with it so many times, they now call me...

Captain Jack

as Off-Jumps-Jack

OTN another Black & gold Diagonal Square Potholder
OTH Baby blanket
OTH Lace doily - A vintage pattern recreating from an heirloom.
OffJumpsJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 12:15 PM   #8
letsknit
Ribbing the Cuff

Thanks again everyone. Your advice along with you tube (thank god for small favors!) allowed me to figure it out and work on it last night. I feel much more comfy with my needles now that I feel ok with the basics.