Old 08-20-2009, 01:56 PM   #11
Mirl56
Instepping Out

It's just a little awkward getting a circular needle around the square or rectangular bottom for the picking up and knitting the first few rounds. But you can certainly try it - just don't be afraid to smoosh the base out of shape. Once you get an inch or two knit, it goes right back into it's proper shape.

Mirl56 at Ravelry, too.

Learn from the mistakes of others. You canít live long enough to make them all yourself. Eleanor Roosevelt

OTN:
Lady Feb Sweater
more shawlettes, socks
Mirl56 is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 08-20-2009, 03:31 PM   #12
cacunn
Instepping Out

Thanked 1,103 Times in 826 Posts
Originally Posted by Mirl56 View Post
It's just a little awkward getting a circular needle around the square or rectangular bottom for the picking up and knitting the first few rounds. But you can certainly try it - just don't be afraid to smoosh the base out of shape. Once you get an inch or two knit, it goes right back into it's proper shape.
I find that by using a long circular needle I could "magic loop" at the corner. Knit to the corner, stop, pull the needle out with a few inches of cable, loop the cable and come back in at a 90 degree angle. To do this you would need a longer cable than needed just to knit around the outer edge or that you would need in just a few rows.

But one thing I like about knitting is that there are so many right ways to do something. I was thinking about a square project this morning and I think I will have to look into using DPs in the way Mirl56 suggested. If all you use are circular needles you sometimes forget that DPs or straights might be better for this project.

Thanks Mirl56 for an alternative approach.

cacunn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cacunn For This Useful Post:
Mirl56 (08-20-2009)
Old 08-20-2009, 04:30 PM   #13
Mirl56
Instepping Out

Originally Posted by cacunn View Post
I find that by using a long circular needle I could "magic loop" at the corner. Knit to the corner, stop, pull the needle out with a few inches of cable, loop the cable and come back in at a 90 degree angle. To do this you would need a longer cable than needed just to knit around the outer edge or that you would need in just a few rows.
Ahh - Excellent idea, too!!

You could keep using that longer needle if you didn't or couldn't switch to a shorter circ by using the modified ML and just have one 'loop.'

Mirl56 at Ravelry, too.

Learn from the mistakes of others. You canít live long enough to make them all yourself. Eleanor Roosevelt

OTN:
Lady Feb Sweater
more shawlettes, socks
Mirl56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 06:20 PM   #14
suzeeq
Knit On!

Thanked 6,451 Times in 6,035 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to suzeeq
Yep, making a loop at the corners until you have the first few sts picked up on the new edge really helps go around the corners. You can loop it even with a short one for just those few sts.

suzeeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 07:33 PM   #15
cacunn
Instepping Out

Thanked 1,103 Times in 826 Posts
I use DPs (as a last resort), Magic Loop and two circulars (but hate all the sliding of needles and cables back and forth) when possible and as soon as possible I move to a single circular. With a single circular that will just hold the stitches I can knit round and round with out losing time playing sliding needles.

When you are knitting knee high kilt hose the saving in time of using a 9 inch needle on the foot, 12 inch at the ankle and 16 inch for the calf and fold is significant.

cacunn is offline   Reply With Quote