Old 08-19-2009, 03:39 PM   #1
jdee
Working the Gusset

Vet Bills
My poor little Abby had to go to the vet yesterday. He chin was swolen badly, and she had injured herself repeatedly by scratching it. I got online to research what it might be, which, by the way, is not a good idea. It scared the sock off me. She's a calico cat, with and her face is mostly white. I read, online, that cats with white faces, and pink lips are seceptable to skin cancer. Even though, Abby is an indoor cat, it still scared me.
Well, it turned out to simply be a case of feline acne, made worse by her scratching. I had to leave her there for a few hours, so they could shave her chin, do some kind of skin test, and treat her wounds. He also gave her a shot of prednizone for inflamation, and sent me home some ointment, and a special shampoo. It cost me almost $200, which at first cause me to gasp for air, but as I started looking at the itemized list, telling what each thing costs, I added one of my own: "Finding out your cat doesn't have skin cancer....Priceless."

This made it easier for me to deal with the expense.

Visit my blog at www.jdeeannsblog@blogspot.com
Create in me a clean heart, O God, and renew as steadfast spirit within me. Psalm 51:10
jdee is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 08-19-2009, 04:27 PM   #2
melmac51
Turning the Heel

Poor little girl. Mine would've been so traumatized by the shaving. Hope she's better soon!
Old 08-19-2009, 05:59 PM   #3
jdee
Working the Gusset

She seems to be doing better today. She still has the sores, but the swelling has gone down, and she doesn't act like it hurts her to be scratched under the chin, like it did before. She hates having cream spread on her twice a day, but she doesn't seem to notice that her chin is shaved. I told DH that he better not make fun of her, and hurt her feelings.

Create in me a clean heart, O God, and renew as steadfast spirit within me. Psalm 51:10
Old 08-19-2009, 06:58 PM   #4
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,744 Times in 7,115 Posts
Awww poor baby! My daughter's cat had that acne, too. Fortunately she found out before there were any problems and the acne was cleared up by getting her some different bowls and washing them regularly. (The vet told us to do that)

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jan in CA For This Useful Post:
Gertie (08-19-2009)
Old 08-19-2009, 08:45 PM   #5
Craw
Knitting the Flap

I would never have guessed that cats get acne! Poor kitty. Glad she's doing a little better. You got off easy at the vet. Last time my Maggie (Jack Russell Terrier) got sick it cost us $1,600.
Craw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 09:01 PM   #6
Sknitter56
Knitting the Flap

So glad your kittie's all better. My Sadie got bit by a water moccasin a few days ago. Thank goodness my vet is close by. She was really in bad shape there for a while, but all better now.
Educate your children to self-control, to the habit of holding passion and prejudice and evil tendencies subject to an upright and reasoning will, and you have done much to abolish misery from their future and crimes from society. Benjamin Franklin

Sknitter56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 11:12 PM   #7
Gertie
Knitting the Flap

Originally Posted by Sknitter56 View Post
So glad your kittie's all better. My Sadie got bit by a water moccasin a few days ago. Thank goodness my vet is close by. She was really in bad shape there for a while, but all better now.
Oh my! I take it Sadie's a dog? How big?
Gertie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 02:55 PM   #8
Luvmyrottnboy
Knitting the Flap

I'm glad your cat is doing better and I LOVE the last item on your itemized list

Back in 2007 my dog, my late great Cyrus, took a bad reaction to anesthesia. Poor dog wasn't eating, drinking and it seemed like he wasn't fully awake for days. The vet thought there might have been an underlying condition causing it.

To the hospital he went to get fluids and tests.

He was just sensitive to the anesthesia, no other problems.

Guess how much it cost? Diagnostics, fluids and boarding.

C'mon guess!

$10,000.

That's right 10 BIG ones! Thank goodness I have a very high limit on my credit card.

Didn't bother me in the least. I just paid it off slowly but surely.

He was my BEST friend

Denise

Mom to the late Cyrus the Fluffweiler CGC forever in my heart and James the Alpha cat
Luvmyrottnboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 03:31 PM   #9
jdee
Working the Gusset

I guess I should consider myself lucky that the bill wasn't in the thousands. I think the most we spent at one time was in the eight hundreds. My Merlin had swallowed something that had caused a blockage, and it had to be surgically removed. It turned out to be a pistachio hull. Now my vet calls him pistachio boy.

Old 08-22-2009, 12:02 AM   #10
WolfWalker
Ribbing the Cuff

Vet bills........my vet show name one of the hallways in his clinic after me! Care Bear, my diabetic kitty, cost me over $1500 over a 2 year period. I lost him to pancreatic cancer. Then Tequila, my 17 year old kitty, developed a tumor in her lung that spread to her sinuses. Vet bill...$286, and I lost her. Cinnamon, one of my 15 year old crf kitties, cost me over $150 a month for 16 months, and I lost her in July. Freon, my 9 year old cat, now has hyperT. The diagnostics for him was $150, and his meds now cost $48 per month. My dog, Angel, has developed some sort of auto-immune disorder that so far has cost me over $800 in diagnostics, and she's now taking prilosec once a day, pepcid ac 3 times a day, prednisone once a day, thyrosyn twice a day, proin once a day, and carafate twice a day. I swear she should rattle when she walks.......but I'm very thankful she's still here with us!

Taking a furry family member to a vet is just as expensive as taking a person to a doctor. But, we love them, and we all know they're definitely worth every penny!

Debra in NC
WolfWalker is offline   Reply With Quote