Old 08-19-2009, 08:53 PM   #1
Sknitter56
Knitting the Flap

Kindle
Has anyone bought a Kindle and, if so, how do you like it? I'm thinking about getting one for my husband who could read a book a night if he had time, and for me.
Educate your children to self-control, to the habit of holding passion and prejudice and evil tendencies subject to an upright and reasoning will, and you have done much to abolish misery from their future and crimes from society. Benjamin Franklin

Sknitter56 is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 08-20-2009, 03:12 AM   #2
Debkcs
Instepping Out

Thanked 1,281 Times in 1,192 Posts
If you have a smart phone, you can download a Kindle app to it, then buy the books. I've been reading more since I don't have to handle 'heavy' books. The new Kindle 2 looks great, smaller and easier to carry around.

"All good things and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of Lights who cannot change."
James 1:17
Debkcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 07:33 AM   #3
vaknitter
Working the Gusset

I don't have one - it really holds no interest for me. I love hanging out in book stores or farmers markets looking for that odd book to read. Of course if there are 2 people and you buy 1 kindle how do you decide who gets to read when? The hubby and I both read right before we go to bed.

A lady in my knitting group bought one and loves it b/c she can download books for her grandkids.
vaknitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 01:07 PM   #4
Jeremy
Mod Squad

My wife and I both have them and like them a lot. They are great for run of the mill books, mysteries etc. You can keep literally thousands of books on them and an unlimited amount more at Amazon. Classics are mega cheap. My wife really likes romance novels and can download and start reading another as soon as she is finished with one. The only caveats I would have are these: if you and he like books with illustrations they show up very poorly on a Kindle eg maps in a history book. Second, you cannot see the screen well in bright sunlight and they are not backlit. ( I can read them well though in dim light because you can make the print large.)
Old 08-20-2009, 02:19 PM   #5
jdee
Working the Gusset

I've been really looking at the kindle for a long time with interest. ONe of the reasons I haven't take the plunge is because I dont know where to find a list of all the books they have available. Also, I'd like to know if Interweave Knits is available on the Kindle. Everytime I try to browse a list of books and magazines available, I only see new books and political magazines, which hold no interest whatsoever to me. Is there a more complete list out there, and I just don't know where to find it?

Visit my blog at www.jdeeannsblog@blogspot.com
Create in me a clean heart, O God, and renew as steadfast spirit within me. Psalm 51:10
jdee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 02:51 PM   #6
Jan in CA
Mod Squad

Thanked 8,796 Times in 7,157 Posts
jdee you must have missed that on Amazon. They have a huge list of books, etc. Put in knitting and you'll get some knitting books, too.
http://www.amazon.com/Kindle-Amazons...pf_rd_i=507846

You can click magazines and select ALL then type in the name you want. There doesn't appear to be any knitting magazines though.
http://www.amazon.com/Magazines-Jour...d_i=1263069011

When asking questions ALWAYS post the name and a link for the pattern if you have it.

NEW! KH knitting video archive
~HOW TO POST A PHOTO~

Jan in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jan in CA For This Useful Post:
jdee (08-20-2009)
Old 08-20-2009, 04:53 PM   #7
Jeremy
Mod Squad

I really don't think a knitting magazine or book would work well on the Kindle. Those fall under the heavily illustrated category. Aside from those available through Amazon itself there are tons of free books that can be downloaded from other sites. Mobi, I think, is one. I think Libris is another. Amazon has a program where you can actually go see someone's Kindle and see how it really works.
jdee (08-20-2009)
Old 08-22-2009, 11:15 AM   #8
SBG
1st Leg of the Journey

Send a message via Yahoo to SBG
OMG! I LOVE LOVE LOVE my Kindle. I have the Kindle 2. It is so fabulous. I'm one of those people who hoards books. I love the feel of them and the smell and everything. But I actually enjoy reading on the Kindle MORE than on paper. It was totally worth every penny (and they've come down in price since I bought mine, since the new one came out).
Old 08-22-2009, 08:43 PM   #9
Sknitter56
Knitting the Flap

Thanks everyone for your opinions on the Kindle. I really love holding a book while I read, but I'm one of these people who have a hard time getting rid of stuff...every now and then I just have to go through my house and have a big yard sell, but books just don't seem to sell that well. Our library will take some of them, but I usually end up with more clutter and not enough room. I was also wondering if you can just delete a book from the Kindle after reading it, or does it stay on there and take up space?
I'll probably end up saving for one and getting it for Christmas. I'm not especially techno-savvy, but I think I could figure it out.
Educate your children to self-control, to the habit of holding passion and prejudice and evil tendencies subject to an upright and reasoning will, and you have done much to abolish misery from their future and crimes from society. Benjamin Franklin

Sknitter56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 10:37 AM   #10
SBG
1st Leg of the Journey

Send a message via Yahoo to SBG
It's really easy to use. You can delete books when you're finished. If they're ones you got from Amazon, they keep a copy in your online library, so if you ever want to read it again you can download it again for free. Or you can copy it to your computer before you delete it. It takes less than a minute to get a book delivered to it from Amazon. This is really tempting when books you're dying to read come out-they'll be electronically delivered at midnight. When Charlaine Harris's last southern vampire book came out I had to force myself to go to sleep instead of staying up waiting for it.

There are lots of ways to get free ebooks online, and you can find free programs for converting various formats to formats supported by the Kindle. The new, bigger Kindle can read PDFs without conversion; the one I have they have to be converted to something else. I use Mobipocket to convert them; it's a free program. You really don't have to be very tech-savvy to use it.