Old 08-20-2009, 05:05 PM   #11
knitpurlgurl
Turning the Heel

Send a message via AIM to knitpurlgurl Send a message via Yahoo to knitpurlgurl Send a message via Skype™ to knitpurlgurl
I have been torn to shreds there personally - and not for much at all. On two occassions, someone got ahold of my blog posts. The ppl who linked to them actually thought they were funny & had good advice (one was about you know you're a knitter when.. and the other advice to LYS to keep local business - which I prefaced with how much I'd rather support my LYS). I didn't even post anything and WAM! I got all sorts of horrid insults and meanness. KH is at least respectful. Sure ppl disagree here, but ppl aren't insulting you as a person because they disagree. Hate that ppl feel the need to be rude and mean. Didn't their mothers ever teach them that if you can't say anything nice, you shouldn't say anything at all?

I am the administrator and a mod for 'Moving Beyond Rectangles' - a group for newbies and advanced beginners. I do not allow snarkiness there. I don't care how many times a question is asked. It's important to the poster. I believe in treating everyone the way you'd want to be treated.

"Yarn stashes insulate the house."
"Just one more skein can't hurt."
- from Knitticisms
knitpurlgurl is offline   Reply With Quote

This advertising will not be shown to registered members. Join our free online community today!

Old 08-20-2009, 05:19 PM   #12
Arielluria
Instepping Out

Ginny I agree with you and I have a theory. Here on KH sometimes we get into heated discussions and that's to be expected..........heck even in Bible study forums of people with like beliefs as myself we sometimes get pretty heated! The difference between here and Ravelry though is that we are UNITED here in knitting and crocheting, and on Ravelry fragmented into different groupings. Here we make peace, there we go to pieces.........

Which is why Ravelry is great for finding patterns and all, but KH still rocks!!!!!!!!

Additionally, there are those on Ravelry who stalk others so they can either remark (if they have the courage) to a post they disagree with, or just mark the "funny" button on serious discussions. Not cool! I don't mind people not agreeing with me, it makes for better conversation......as long as everyone keeps it cordial.
A righteous man has regard for the life of his animal (Proverbs 12:10)
Adopt a pet PETFINDER.COM

Free patternns on My blog or on Ravelry:
Arielluria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 09:53 PM   #13
knitfan
Ribbing the Cuff

I agree with you. In fact, I was hoping someone might bring this up at some point. I have been very discouraged by the attitude and lack of respect many of the members have for each other on Ravelry. I stopped even reading most of the postings because they only make me feel like I don't want to be on there anymore. I came back to KH exclusively the last three weeks and don't feel that bad feeling at all that I would get when on the forums on Ravelry. They do have some good info and patterns, etc. but I can get most of that on this website. I am a slow knitter and don't need alot of different things to work on.
knitfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 11:45 PM   #14
Ingrid
Mod Squad

Thanked 2,241 Times in 1,838 Posts

We are family. . . all my fellow knitters and me. . .

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.

Hop aboard while we follow the cloud-covered van of knitting harmony, man!! Woooo!! --Hedgehog

IngridKH on Ravelry
Ingrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 12:01 AM   #15
sgtpam
Turning the Heel

Originally Posted by Ingrid View Post

We are family. . . all my fellow knitters and me. . .
Ditto............mmmmm, now, where's that agree buttonm

sgtpam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 03:07 AM   #16
Debkcs
Instepping Out

Thanked 1,281 Times in 1,192 Posts
Quote:
I call it living in disagreeable oblivion

That's great! Why is it that people think they have to state their opinion on everything?

"All good things and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of Lights who cannot change."
James 1:17
Debkcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 05:12 AM   #17
GinnyG
Instepping Out

Originally Posted by Debkcs View Post

That's great! Why is it that people think they have to state their opinion on everything?
Actually maybe I should call it AGREEABLE oblivion, since my disagree is turned off I can just assume everyone AGREES with me

I think I'll start a "turn off the disagee" movement on Ravelry..... it would make it a much nicer place.
Old 08-21-2009, 06:56 AM   #18
rachael72knitter
Knitting the Flap

I belong to a forum here in Houston that has thousands of members and doesn't have the level of snarkiness that you can find on Ravelry. The thing that bothers me the most is how one person will do something to be mean, or make fun of a person who has commented, and several others will join in and do the same thing. To me, Ravelry goes beyond your average snarky, and can be very clique-ish.

The disagree button drives me insane too. There are times when it is totally innapropriate like when someone asks a question and it makes me think, "what are these ppl disagreeing with?"

The other thing is that the threads can get sooooooooo off topic. I have come across technical threads that I am interested in, and instead I am reading a bunch of crapola by haters who have posted their petty arguments or disagreements about stuff that has nothing to do with the OP's post. As an admin of a couple of forums in my area, I would not even allow it because it really screws up the search feature of a forum. If a thread gets off-topic with several posts, I split the thread so that ppl can still read about the original topic. Sometimes I think the admin and mods over there could do more to try and keep certain sections relevent.

I do like the groups though. I am on the teacher forum and enjoy it, along with a few other groups where we have common interests and ppl generally get along. What kills me though are guests that aren't members of our groups that post some snarky thing and don't even look back to see other people's response. It is so easy to join a group that you have interest in, I don't know why ppl can post without even belonging. I feel like if onlookers had to join to comment, it would cut down on some of this stalker-hater type activity on groups.

I have actually had fellow knitters tell me that they don't post there anymore b/c some other member that they had a disagreement with started stalking them on the forum, and taking every oppurtunity they could to attack this member, even in the groups they belonged to, and others joined in the activity.

It is a useful site, but I do think it could use a little more policing in the tech sections, and if one sticks to just their groups and using it as a resource for patterns and stash, it is okay. I often avoid the general sections b/c they can be quite scary with the levels of mean-ness.
rachael72knitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 07:29 AM   #19
GinnyG
Instepping Out

Originally Posted by rachael72knitter View Post

I have actually had fellow knitters tell me that they don't post there anymore b/c some other member that they had a disagreement with started stalking them on the forum, and taking every oppurtunity they could to attack this member, even in the groups they belonged to, and others joined in the activity.

It is a useful site, but I do think it could use a little more policing in the tech sections, and if one sticks to just their groups and using it as a resource for patterns and stash, it is okay. I often avoid the general sections b/c they can be quite scary with the levels of mean-ness.
Sorry for cutting up your post but just wanted to comment on a couple things you mentioned.
I have absolutley seen posters "stalk" others for the sole purpose of stirring up difficulty. There are some people who show up on multiple threads with really nasty comments ALL THE TIME. I can only assume they are very unhappy people.

I have seen (in my limited time on the genral forums) a definate "pack" mentality. It seems that as soon as one person goes in for the kill others soon follow suit. I am amazed at the level of disrespect practiced. I would NEVER post anything personal on Ravelry, I have seen people starting threads loooking for a little support and ending up being told they are the worst person in the world. I could post that my dog died and end up being made to feel it was my fault.

I have decided to stick with the "technical" or knitting groups and stay away from the General forums. I have been trying to figure out how to remove "Remnants" from my forum page (I don't even want to be tempted to be drawn into those discussions) but haven't figured it out yet.
Old 08-21-2009, 10:52 AM   #20
Arielluria
Instepping Out

Originally Posted by rachael72knitter View Post
I belong to a forum here in Houston that has thousands of members and doesn't have the level of snarkiness that you can find on Ravelry.
Which forum is that? I'm in Houston too.
A righteous man has regard for the life of his animal (Proverbs 12:10)
Adopt a pet PETFINDER.COM

Free patternns on My blog or on Ravelry:
Arielluria is offline   Reply With Quote